Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.00%
32.00%
38.00%
9.00%
9.00%
1.00%
0%
0%
1.00%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-08-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Two other things:
1. What was the point of the Stallone, Rhames, Yeoh cameos? Don't understand why the last 2 were shown at all and Stallone had so little to do.
They were the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

2. Did anyone see in the actual credit scroll @ end, that some crew names changed from "I am Groot"? Didn't know if that was just an inside joke thing or if it was indeed for audience...
I just took it as just a fun bit for the audience in the credits. My daughter enjoyed finding all of them.
Old 05-08-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

and i saw some great trailers from all studios, well, mostly Disney, but saw Wonder Woman, Star Wars 8, Thor 3, Spider-Man, and maybe 1 or 2 others i forgot...
2D:
King Arthur
Pirates
Thor
Star Wars

3D:
Spider-Man
(Same bottom 3)

I mentioned in the Thor thread how incredible the 3D looked in that trailer.
Old 05-08-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
To explain in more detail, the version of the Guardians that we got on film with Star-Lord, Rocket, et al are the version of the team that was launched in the comics in 2008.

The original Guardians comics came out in the 70s and featured Yondu and the cast of characters that we saw in that post credit sequence.

I don't know if they really have any plans for this version of the team in the MCU, but I'm thinking that it was just something fun for comic book fans.
Old 05-08-17, 07:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Would a regular movie goer know that? I didn't...
Old 05-08-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Would a regular movie goer know that? I didn't...
No they would not, and that's ok. It's an Easter egg for fanboys.
Old 05-08-17, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
To explain in more detail, the version of the Guardians that we got on film with Star-Lord, Rocket, et al are the version of the team that was launched in the comics in 2008.

The original Guardians comics came out in the 70s and featured Yondu and the cast of characters that we saw in that post credit sequence.

I don't know if they really have any plans for this version of the team in the MCU, but I'm thinking that it was just something fun for comic book fans.
Gotcha. Thanks for explanation. I can't believe Stallone took such a small role, yes, I know big summer blockbuster, but I wouldn't think they paid him that much, maybe he just really wanted some exposure...
Old 05-08-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

They asked Gunn in an interview and he said that he would love for them to make a movie about those characters and the Ravagers.
Old 05-08-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
But then Ultron was essentially created by Tony Stark, so they're still somewhat responsible, however indirectly.
That's really a stretch, though. He was created by accident, and certainly not by any design to cause destruction.
Old 05-08-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah, we know. I goes on in both camps...
Not sure if that was intended to somehow paint me as a "Marvel fanboy", but if it was, you just made a complete and utter fool of yourself.
Old 05-08-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and i saw some great trailers from all studios, well, mostly Disney, but saw Wonder Woman, Star Wars 8, Thor 3, Spider-Man, and maybe 1 or 2 others i forgot...
In my showing, Thor Ragnarok got more cheers than any of the others.
Old 05-08-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Saw a matinee today.

Really fun movie overall. The chemistry and banter with Drax, Peter and Rocket really made the movie for me. Russell was fun in his role too. I thought the de-aged version of him in the beginning looked pretty good. Didn't expect him to have that big turn and become the big villain. Baby Groot was cute and I enjoyed his antics. Vin Diesel really couldn't have done much with that voice over. He could have just recorded 1 voice over of "I am Groot" and that's it. The audio guys could have easily played around with it and added different tones/inflections.

Not really much else I can add. I look forward to seeing this group again in The Avengers Infinity Wars next year. I look forward to seeing their interactions with The Avengers.
Old 05-08-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Along with all the trailers, did anyone else catch a promo spot for The Inhumans? A movie and TV series. All of maybe 5 seconds long. No scenes, just the logo and a voice over.
Old 05-09-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Not sure if that was intended to somehow paint me as a "Marvel fanboy", but if it was, you just made a complete and utter fool of yourself.
Oh Stop. I was simply saying that there is Rabid Fanboyism on both sides. I can easily admit that and there is no reason to ignore this. Hell, I've been guilty off it on some level just like others on the other side here, but I'm not in denial of it. If you somehow took that comment as some personal attack then that's perhaps an issue within yourself that you need to address offline. Because, other than using your comment as a jumping off point, my comment was NOT pointed at you personally. But then again, "a hit dog will holler..."
Old 05-09-17, 01:19 PM

Also, that opening with the Guardians battling the beastie and Baby Groot dancing put a smile on my face...
Old 05-09-17, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
2D:
King Arthur
Pirates
Thor
Star Wars

3D:
Spider-Man
(Same bottom 3)

I mentioned in the Thor thread how incredible the 3D looked in that trailer.
I got Thor, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Detroit, Spider-Man, and Dunkirk. No Inhumans teaser.
Old 05-09-17, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I got Thor, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Detroit, Spider-Man, and Dunkirk. No Inhumans teaser.
Yeah, I had Dunkirk and Kingsmen as well...
Old 05-09-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had Wonder Woman, Kingsmen 2, and Last Jedi.
Old 05-09-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Gotcha. Thanks for explanation. I can't believe Stallone took such a small role, yes, I know big summer blockbuster, but I wouldn't think they paid him that much, maybe he just really wanted some exposure...
The weird thing is that they cast names for all of those throwaway characters... rosenbaum, Stallone, yeoh, ving rhames, heck even Mainframe's voice is a well known child actor/singer (Seriously who could even tell?). But I guess it's like casting Vin as Groot's voice, why not?

As a die hard fan of the Valentino pre-Image team (as well as the post Annihilation Abnett and Lanning team) I enjoyed the cameos. Though I still missed two out of the five post credit scenes because geez, five of them?

Also to pile onto MoS, the kicker to me will always be this scene:

Last edited by fujishig; 05-09-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-09-17, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oh Stop. I was simply saying that there is Rabid Fanboyism on both sides. I can easily admit that and there is no reason to ignore this. Hell, I've been guilty off it on some level just like others on the other side here, but I'm not in denial of it. If you somehow took that comment as some personal attack then that's perhaps an issue within yourself that you need to address offline. Because, other than using your comment as a jumping off point, my comment was NOT pointed at you personally. But then again, "a hit dog will holler..."
That's fair, and thank you for the clarification. Reading your original comment, i thought it could be taken two ways, either at face value (as you obviously intended), or as a kind of passive aggressive insult. Sadly, there is too much of that going on lately, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My apologies.
Old 05-09-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
The weird thing is that they cast names for all of those throwaway characters... rosenbaum, Stallone, yeoh, ving rhames, heck even Mainframe's voice is a well known child actor/singer (Seriously who could even tell?). But I guess it's like casting Vin as Groot's voice, why not?

As a die hard fan of the Valentino pre-Image team (as well as the post Annihilation Abnett and Lanning team) I enjoyed the cameos. Though I still missed two out of the five post credit scenes because geez, five of them?

Also to pile onto MoS, the kicker to me will always be this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX-y018pcY

Didn't Miley Cyrus have a cameo, too? I didn't see her, though.
Old 05-09-17, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Didn't Miley Cyrus have a cameo, too? I didn't see her, though.
Yeah, she was the voice of mainframe. Like I said, how would anyone know if they weren't told beforehand?
Old 05-09-17, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, she was the voice of mainframe. Like I said, how would anyone know if they weren't told beforehand?

Yeah, I only knew that Stallone would be in it, which is why I was pleasantly surprise to see Michelle Yeoh and Ving Rames, too.
Old 05-10-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

How'd you miss two of the scenes? I figure anyone watching a Marvel movie basically sits through the entirety of the credits.
Old 05-10-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How'd you miss two of the scenes? I figure anyone watching a Marvel movie basically sits through the entirety of the credits.
Yeah, we were a little rushed, but that seemed to be a bit excessive. Maybe I've missed other scenes too?
Old 05-10-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Loved the first one. Thought this one was... okay. It was a tad too long to the point I didn't bother sticking around for all 5 post credit scenes (got through 3). IDK, I wasn't as emotionally impacted like some were. I'll definitely check it out again once its released on Blu-ray, however.

***¼/*****, (B-, 6.7/10, 2.75/4)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.