Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

considering that audiences are now used to stories spanning multiple films, why did Fox choose to once again compress the Dark Phoenix saga into one film?
Old 06-13-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by brayzie
considering that audiences are now used to stories spanning multiple films, why did Fox choose to once again compress the Dark Phoenix saga into one film?
I highly doubt Lawrence was going to come back after this one, not sure about McAvoy and Fassbender, so even without Sony being bought out I'm not sure how feasible it would have been to extend this franchise to another three films or whatever without their biggest stars instead of just rebooting like always. Plus they're apparently married to the idea of skipping a decade each time so they would be super old (in universe) by the time the third film came out.
Old 06-13-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I highly doubt Lawrence was going to come back after this one, not sure about McAvoy and Fassbender, so even without Sony being bought out I'm not sure how feasible it would have been to extend this franchise to another three films or whatever without their biggest stars instead of just rebooting like always. Plus they're apparently married to the idea of skipping a decade each time so they would be super old (in universe) by the time the third film came out.
I sometimes hate how the business side of film making works. Just because J Law became an A-lister, they made Mystique into a good guy and have her being the star of X-Men. And she’s not even in makeup. Wasn’t that part of her original character? That she refused to hide the fact that she was a mutant?
But if after DOFP they knew they only had a couple more films with their OG First Class cast, they should have chosen their next two storylines more carefully.
Or something crazy like s NEW story not adapted from the comics. It worked for FC right?
Old 06-13-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie

I sometimes hate how the business side of film making works. Just because J Law became an A-lister, they made Mystique into a good guy and have her being the star of X-Men. And she’s not even in makeup. Wasn’t that part of her original character? That she refused to hide the fact that she was a mutant?
But if after DOFP they knew they only had a couple more films with their OG First Class cast, they should have chosen their next two storylines more carefully.
Or something crazy like s NEW story not adapted from the comics. It worked for FC right?
This was posted earlier (I think) but that's what Vaughn wanted to do.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/fox-wanting-...ass-1835148286

Execs read his treatment of Days of Future Past, which is what he wanted to be the finale of his trilogy, and said, heck, let's do that one next. And it wasn't bad necessarily but it left the series with nowhere to go.
Old 06-14-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but Tye Sheridan (Cyclops) described the original ending on a podcast.

https://movieweb.com/dark-phoenix-or...el-connection/

"It's really hard for me to remember what the ending of this movie is. [laughs] Originally, it was scripted that Charles and Scott go to the U.N. because, man, I'm totally going to mess this up, they go to the U.N. because they're going to try to tell the President that, 'Hey, we're under attack by aliens, and they've now captured Jean Grey.' Or, you know, whatever it is that we're going to tell him. And then Jean comes down in the front of the U.N., and causes... there is this huge battle between the guards at the U.N. and Jean Grey, and all the guards turn out to be Skrulls. And then Jean and Scott are, Scott is fighting Skrulls in the fountain. He gets thrown into the fountain in front of the U.N. And then Jean comes down and basically fights all of the Skrulls off, and then blasts back off into space. [She] basically says goodbye to Scott and Charles. And then it's all over, I guess."
I hadn't been keeping track of the pre-buyout legalities, but I guess both Fox and Disney had a right to use the Skrulls (though I seem to recall Fox blocked them from being used in the first Avengers movie). I just assume Fox was trying to beat Disney to the punch by including a version of them in Dark Phoenix once they heard about the plan for Captain Marvel. I mean, remember how Quicksilver was added to DoFP after Whedon announced he intended to utilize the character in Age of Ultron?

Anyway, it appears the seven month delay and new ending was to not step on Marvel Studios toes once negotiations for the Fox buyout heated up. They also made damn sure Captain Marvel was given a wide berth before dropping this turkey into cinemas.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-14-19 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Quicksilver is one of the few GREAT things about the latest x-men movies. at least they got that right (haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet)

Weird news about the skrulls and x-men - that would have been even more lame. I always associate them with FF, never with X-men.
Old 06-14-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Quicksilver is one of the few GREAT things about the latest x-men movies. at least they got that right (haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet)

Weird news about the skrulls and x-men - that would have been even more lame. I always associate them with FF, never with X-men.
Weren't the Skrulls part of the original Dark Phoenix story?
Old 06-14-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, they had the license because of the FF, and there was a skrull (and kree) in the original Dark Phoenix saga. The rumor for a long time was that Chastain was playing a skrull and that they had to change that when the negotiations were going on, I can't believe that's where they were actually going instead of using, you know, the Shiar if they had to go cosmic.

It also explains why there was all this talk about how the endings were too similar if they were really going to use the skrulls.
Old 06-14-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Weren't the Skrulls part of the original Dark Phoenix story?
yes, you are correct - loooooooooooong time since i read it.
Old 06-15-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://geektyrant.com/news/marvels-...tory-breakdown

^ This was pretty cool.
The Hellfire subplot just got weird and confusing but overall, this is the story I'd like to see on the big screen.
Old 06-16-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh the feels just reliving the actual story even via a short web animation. Back in the day it was one of the few comics that actually got collected and I remember reading it over and over (my mom and I collected a lot of comics but they were basically read and put in huge paper bags without boards or anything, so I rarely was organized enough to reread stuff in order. the tpb made it much much easier). Sad that it totally excised Kitty from the storyline, because her point of view was actually crucial in at least adapting the reader to the storyline.
Old 06-17-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

yes, you are correct - loooooooooooong time since i read it.
I believe they were briefly shown reacting to the destruction of D'Bari, and that Kree and Skrull representatives were present when Lilandra passed judgement on Phoenix. I don't remember if the Skrulls caused any shenanigans during the epic battle on the moon or not.

But it has been a long time since I read it..
Old 06-18-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

Ouch, This film just set a record for comic book movies.... for biggest second week drop of all time.

After opening with $33 million, the film dropped a massive 72.6 percent in its second weekend, earning just $9 million.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...jHl8mJh4MZjA2E
Old 06-18-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Ouch, This film just set a record for comic book movies.... for biggest second week drop of all time.

After opening with $33 million, the film dropped a massive 72.6 percent in its second weekend, earning just $9 million.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/06...jHl8mJh4MZjA2E
Yikes. Even Batman v Superman *only* fell 69%.