Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Even in the poster, JLaw refuses to be in make up.
Old 05-10-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Kind of a cool poster actually.
Old 05-11-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Looking at that poster again I realize between the two sets of casts (original and First Class) they've only managed to add a single decent character(Quicksilver) to the core cast. Seems like a missed opportunity a dozen films in, simply re-using younger versions of the same characters.
Old 05-11-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I really, really don't like the actress playing Jean (she does not fit the part at all). To me, this looks like a minor trainwreck.

It's kind of depressing, because I love the X-Men movies.
Old 05-14-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Got my tickets to the AMC Opening Night Imax Fan Event Thursday 6/6 @ 6 PM.
They include a commemorative keychain with purchase.
Old 05-14-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I really, really don't like the actress playing Jean (she does not fit the part at all). To me, this looks like a minor trainwreck.

It's kind of depressing, because I love the X-Men movies.
I said it before, but the end scene of the trailer is basically a major trainwreck, not a minor one...
Old 06-05-19, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Reviews are dropping and it’s at a painful 17% on rotten tomatoes. Skipping this in theatres myself...
Old 06-05-19, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yikes those reviews are painful:

"Dark Phoenix is yet another underwhelming entry in the X-Men franchise as the series ends on a low note."

"poorly written nonsense cartoon."

"a joyless addition to the long-running "X-Men" franchise"

"A disappointing end."

"It's just so lazy in every aspect of its storytelling and filmmaking you wonder if anyone but Kinberg even gives a [crap] anymore."

"At least Turner's trying, which can't be said for some of the other members of the cast. Jennifer Lawrence is all but checking her watch during her scenes as Mystique."

"Instead of ending with a thunderous applause, it all ends with a shrug of indifference."

"A fundamentally flawed and patchy mess, wrapped in superficial layers of dark grittiness."

"It's a tedious slog of incoherent superhero nonsense."

What a great idea, hand a $200 million movie to a hack screenwriter!

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-05-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-05-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure Marvel/Disney will give this story a third try and get it right. You can't tell this story in one movie. There are so many things involved in the original material.
Old 06-05-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Super disappointing to see the score on RT (19% and dropping...). I'll still check it out though.
Old 06-05-19, 10:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm sure Marvel/Disney will give this story a third try and get it right. You can't tell this story in one movie. There are so many things involved in the original material.
Yeah, I don’t get why they try to tell this story in one movie. For one, you need to care about Jean. She was introduced just a movie ago as a throwaway character. This movie was never going to work. It’d have to be a three hour movie minimum, but that’s even pushing it. Should have been two movies. Oh well, not surprised by the poor reception.
Old 06-05-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack

Yeah, I don’t get why they try to tell this story in one movie. For one, you need to care about Jean. She was introduced just a movie ago as a throwaway character. This movie was never going to work. It’d have to be a three hour movie minimum, but that’s even pushing it. Should have been two movies. Oh well, not surprised by the poor reception.
Well, they didn't have more than one movie.

Did the article get posted here where the director talked about changing the ending from a space battle to the train because it was "too similar" to another superhero movie? This thing has been a wreck for some time.
Old 06-05-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

She was introduced 20 years and 9 movies ago. It's the same character, just different time period.
Old 06-05-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
She was introduced 20 years and 9 movies ago. It's the same character, just different time period.
Yes, but everything has been rebooted and those movies aren't in continuity anymore. There is no emotional attachment to Sophie Turner's version of the character.
Old 06-05-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Friend of mine went to a screening the other day. Gave it a generous C-.
Old 06-05-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, they didn't have more than one movie.

Did the article get posted here where the director talked about changing the ending from a space battle to the train because it was "too similar" to another superhero movie? This thing has been a wreck for some time.

Wait...what, the culmination of the Dark Phoenix storyline takes place....wait for it, on an alien planet in space. Someone needs to put up the Picard facepalm meme, or maybe saying I am SMH is appropriate.

The trailer I have scene a few times in the past several weeks actually looked okay but it sounds like this movie is a mess, and not even a hot one at that, sigh.

I have to say that as much as people fawn over the Dark Phoenix storyline it is the Brood storyline that should have made it to the big screen. The Brood or Giger’s Aliens...which would you prefer to encounter, those are some scary as heck creatures.

ETA: Fuji, I know that you and others are aware of the Dark Phoenix storyline as I was just making fun of the idea of transplanting an emotional scene in space to a train crash scene on earth.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 06-05-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

Wait...what, the culmination of the Dark Phoenix storyline takes place....wait for it, on an alien planet in space. Someone needs to put up the Picard facepalm meme, or maybe saying I am SMH is appropriate.

The trailer I have scene a few times in the past several weeks actually looked okay but it sounds like this movie is a mess, and not even a hot one at that, sigh.

I have to say that as much as people fawn over the Dark Phoenix storyline it is the Brood storyline that should have made it to the big screen. The Brood or Giger’s Aliens...which would you prefer to encounter, those are some scary as heck creatures.

ETA: Fuji, I know that you and others are aware of the Dark Phoenix storyline as I was just making fun of the idea of transplanting an emotional scene in space to a train crash scene on earth.
Here's the interview where McAvoy basically says it's too similar to another movie that came out (Captain Marvel is speculated, but given when this was redone I'm not sure that makes sense) so they had to change it:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/x-men-da...114022281.html

I mean, sure, if they did a whole brood scene and then got sued by Fox or something... oh wait, they are Fox. So stupid. I'm pretty sure other movies like Solo have train scenes so I'm surprised they didn't reshoot again to move it to a boat.
Old 06-05-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 58% rating of The Last Stand (which has the same basic Phoenix storyline) is looking mighty fine at this point, which is rather amusing.

I want to know why the Fox execs decided to bet all their chips on Sophie Turner, especially based on her performance in Apocalypse. Now I will say she is very good on Game of Thrones, but her American accent was hella shaky in the last X-Men movie (and doesn't sound that much better here based on the trailers), and she wasn't even in it that much to justify giving her a second movie based heavily around her, using one of the biggest storylines from the comics.
Old 06-05-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you think about X-men mythos, they blew their wad too early with their second movie (which Vaughn recently talked about), then escalated in the third. I'm not sure where else they could have gone besides the classic Dark Phoenix story.
Old 06-05-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

For all the talk of the superhero movie golden age, there’s two things that just can’t be done right - Dark Phoenix and Dr Doom.
Old 06-05-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
For all the talk of the superhero movie golden age, there’s two things that just can’t be done right - Dark Phoenix and Dr Doom.
I'm hoping we'll soon see this proved wrong, as well as Galactus.
Old 06-05-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It's kind of weird to me that the Rotten Tomatoes score is that low. Not that I expected this to review incredibly well or anything, but the reviews I've watched seem to indicate that it's more in the middle than anything. Not great but not complete trash either. I personally don't expect much out of this, and I don't imagine most people really did as it's seemed for a long time that it was just coming out since it was so far along in production. I'll still see it this weekend just for curiosity.
Old 06-05-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you think about X-men mythos, they blew their wad too early with their second movie (which Vaughn recently talked about), then escalated in the third. I'm not sure where else they could have gone besides the classic Dark Phoenix story.
They could have gone smaller, like The Wolverine or Logan. A more personal movie with a lower budget to help fans bond with this version of these characters, setting up a much better Dark Phoenix movie.
Old 06-05-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
They could have gone smaller, like The Wolverine or Logan. A more personal movie with a lower budget to help fans bond with this version of these characters, setting up a much better Dark Phoenix movie.
I don't think they could have once they set the trilogy the way they did. If they expanded after First Class a bit slower like Vaughn had wanted, then yeah they could have done that. But you basically threw away most of the kids in First Class, then you brought in Wolverine and the older actors to chew the scenery, then Apocalypse shenanigans, I'm not sure how you take a giant step back from that and go to character development.
Old 06-05-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Dr. Doom is easy. He's Iron Man. Rich, powerful, egotistical, and brilliant. He has no powers, he has tech. He thinks he knows better than the people running his country, only unlike Iron Man he decides to take it over. He doesn't think he's the bad guy, he just thinks everyone who questions or opposes him is a fool.

Treat him like amoral Iron Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.