Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by K&AJones
One of the best flip-flop comments yet.....talk about Bizarro World....and yes it dd look pretty good....
Those blue eyes of hers get me all the time.

They picked the perfect girl for Dark Phoenix.

Old 03-01-19, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by james2025a
I guess I am in the minority as I found that trailer horrible. This movie looks dreadful, and I am just glad this will be the last Fox made Xmen movie.
Yeah, I don't get all the love for this. The trailer makes the movie look awful. And the movie probably IS awful.

I can't stand the girl they got to play Jean (Sophie Turner - God, she's awful - I so miss Famke Jannsen). She completely lacks personality, and she doesn't even look the part. And the writing, even in the snippets, just seems so amateurish. The make up for Mystique looks like shit (as in ordinary Halloween make-up quality), even the editing of the trailer seems like it was done by film students on their first assignment.

I don't like anything about it. As a long time X-Men fan that is just about one of the most spirit crushing trailers I can imagine.

That was just a depressing trailer.
Old 03-01-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I liked X3.
Me, too. I liked it a lot. Still do. There's a lot of good stuff in that movie.
Old 03-01-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yeah, I don't get all the love for this. The trailer makes the movie look awful. And the movie probably IS awful.

I can't stand the girl they got to play Jean (Sophie Turner - God, she's awful - I so miss Famke Jannsen). She completely lacks personality, and she doesn't even look the part. And the writing, even in the snippets, just seems so amateurish. The make up for Mystique looks like shit (as in ordinary Halloween make-up quality), even the editing of the trailer seems like it was done by film students on their first assignment.

I don't like anything about it. As a long time X-Men fan that is just about one of the most spirit crushing trailers I can imagine.

the weird thing to me is that they cast Chastain, who personally I think would've made a great (older) Jean Grey, but nah, give her white hair and make her the villain.
Old 03-01-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

This...
Though, I never cared for Famke either, who I felt was too old to begin with.

And I guess when you bitch long enough about being in the make up chair, you get the Halloween version of Dory from Finding Nemo for your face paint.
Old 03-01-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The international trailer is much better.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/320599488" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

X-Men Dark Phoenix International Trailer 2 from poyler007 on Vimeo.

Old 03-01-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Yeah, that is better. I really want to see this.
Old 03-01-19, 12:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

That is a much better trailer.
Old 03-01-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't tell if the whole trailer ending in a trainwreck and the cops wearing MCU on their sleeves are like intentional or just massive coincidence/irony.
Old 03-01-19, 12:29 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I can't tell if the whole trailer ending in a trainwreck and the cops wearing MCU on their sleeves are like intentional or just massive coincidence/irony.
You observant motherfucker! Brilliant.
Old 03-01-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

My nerdy son mentioned this to me yesterday in regards to Apocalypse It stands for Mutant Containment Unit but could be a nod to the MCU as well.
Old 03-01-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
This...
Though, I never cared for Famke either, who I felt was too old to begin with.
I found her old as well, and a bit out of place.
Old 03-01-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

As someone who thought Apocalypse was fun and got a bad rap, the trailer made this movie look pretty awful. Sophie Turner is a poor actress and a terrible choice to headline a film. If the lines used in the trailer were her best takes, we're in for a bumpy ride.

The fact that it looks like a retread of part 3 just makes me uninterested. The Power Ranger jokes in regards to Apocalypse were funny, but I was still excited to see a classic villain on the big screen for the first time. I agree with the comments on the film looking pedestrian instead of cinematic.
Old 03-01-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Famke was just so wooden. I can't say Turner is any better than or worse than her.
Old 03-01-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Famke was just so wooden. I can't say Turner is any better than or worse than her.
Well The Last Stand was an absolute mess of a movie. I'd rather they not revisit that story so soon. Then again I've never read the Dark Pheonix comics so I'm not sure what kind of potential we're missing out on. However this movie doesn't look very promising to me. It'll be a blemish on the franchise to have two failed versions of the same story.
Old 03-01-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Well The Last Stand was an absolute mess of a movie. I'd rather they not revisit that story so soon. Then again I've never read the Dark Pheonix comics so I'm not sure what kind of potential we're missing out on. However this movie doesn't look very promising to me. It'll be a blemish on the franchise to have two failed versions of the same story.
It's too big of a story for a movie. They're going to give you the highlights but no nuance. I doubt we'll see Mastermind or the Hellfire Club/Black Queen and so on in a 2 hour movie.
Old 03-01-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber
It's too big of a story for a movie. They're going to give you the highlights but no nuance. I doubt we'll see Mastermind or the Hellfire Club/Black Queen and so on in a 2 hour movie.
Yeah, as old as the story is, they really need to spend some time investing in the characters and the backdrop before doing Dark Phoenix, in particular the relationship between Cyclops and Jean, but really fleshing out the other X-men as well. Like I said before, all of the X-men movies have been kind of terrible at making you care about more than two or three characters at a time.

To me the real beauty of the saga Claremont and Byrne wrote was the inclusion of Kitty as the outsider being introduced to this crazy world of the X-men. That's kind of what they tried to do with Rogue in the original movie, I guess.
Old 03-01-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

So how are they going to shoehorn Wolvie into this one? The time period between escaping Alkaline Lake and showing up in the first movie is supposed to be his wandering, amnesiac period, right? How is he going to end up in space with them?
Old 03-01-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the weird thing to me is that they cast Chastain, who personally I think would've made a great (older) Jean Grey, but nah, give her white hair and make her the villain.
Is she supposed to be some sort of manifestation of the Phoenix Force?
Old 03-01-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, as old as the story is, they really need to spend some time investing in the characters and the backdrop before doing Dark Phoenix, in particular the relationship between Cyclops and Jean, but really fleshing out the other X-men as well. Like I said before, all of the X-men movies have been kind of terrible at making you care about more than two or three characters at a time.
Yeah, in a perfect world a story like Dark Phoenix would be like the third or fourth movie in an on-going series. They initially had the right idea with The Last Stand if you ask me, but of course that movie was crap.

As is only having Jean in one film in this new timeline makes it hard to really care about her character or her transformation into the Phoenix. On top of that they won’t even be able to follow up this film with the aftermath from the events of her becoming the Phoenix. It’s really a tremendous waste and I bet the story doesn’t get touched again. If it ever is attempted again it’ll probably be way down the line. Such a shame as it could be a good story to adapt.
Old 03-03-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Sigh. I've been along for the ride this far, I'll see it to the end.
Old 03-04-19, 11:55 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

That's why I'm still married.
Old 03-05-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

International trailer

Old 03-06-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

In a perfect world, "The Dark Phoenix Saga" would be like the entire ten-episode third season of an ongoing X-Men series, on like Netflix or Disney+ or whatever.
Old 03-06-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
International trailer

A better trailer than the domestic version, to be sure. Looks like we're kinda sorta getting a proper Phoenix origin, even though the Phoenix Force has already manifested itself.

I am really tired of the "oh noes, all the X people have been captured by some shady government agency" stories though. Hopefully Marvel will relegate the "mutant menace" to the same place they tossed J. Jonah Jameson.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.