Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Old 03-12-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

Why are they changing the product? Just follow the damn_story straight out of the comic books.
Old 03-13-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

Because they are already preparing you to be disappointed.
Old 03-13-18, 09:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly the problem with this movie is that the actress playing Jean has only been in one film and it was a crappy one. Going right from that to turning her into Dark Phoenix really diminishes the character and the storyline. This should be a story that’s ideally done after at least a couple or more films have been made. Yeah, I realize the films are all tied together to a degree but it definitely feels like Apocalypse and going forward are basically softly rebooting the franchise. This is one of the best X-Men stories and the fact that it’s being done a second time they should be getting it right but I have my doubts and feel like they’re just trying to go for a big money story.
Singer had a hard on for Dark Phoenix since forever. The slow build up route isn’t his style. I know he’s not directing this one but his stamp is all over it.
Old 03-27-18, 07:55 AM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

Pushed to February 14, 2019
http://deadline.com/2018/03/20th-cen...ts-1202353890/
Old 03-28-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, H

'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' to Get Major Reshoots as Simon Kinberg Tweaks Script
Old 03-28-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, H

The Dark Phoenix Saga worked because Claremont/Byrne built up so much character investment in Jean Gray, Scott Summers, and to a certain extent Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler, in over a year's worth of comics leading up to that storyline.

Obviously you can't do that in movies, but you could do a 2 movie lead-up. One with the Hellfire Club, one with the all space opera, and then culminate in Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse did nothing to make you feel anything for the new Marvel Girl and Cyclops, except to shrug and say OK, these are more interchangeable characters.

And IMO Sansa Stark isn't strong enough an actress to pull this off. She always seems shaky, tenuous, even when pretending to act all cocky-doody.
Old 03-28-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah, like I said earlier with this new version of Jean barely established (I barely remember anything about her or about Apocalypse in general honestly) it wouldn’t hurt to have done at least one more film where she has a more prominent role pre-Phoenix and then do Dark Phoenix for the third film. I get the feeling that this story is going to be done poorly a second time and who knows if it’ll get told again on film.
Old 03-28-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they’ve decided to just reshoot the entire movie with Jessica Chastain playing Jean, because at this point ... why not ?

Old 03-29-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

EW reports that the budget for the reshoot is 10 million so not the highest we have seen reported in regards to reshoot costs but still significant.

Also, yes...the double-sized sized issue ending the story line was such a tearjerker due to the impact the prior 6-7 issues had on the story line (along with the bits and pieces hinting at the Dark Phoenix story in the preceding 2 years worth of X-Men issues). Other than the quicksilver mansion sequence from the last film I remember very little of the film...not a good sign that this film is building on the greatness that came before it.
Old 03-29-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Dark Phoenix Saga worked because Claremont/Byrne built up so much character investment in Jean Gray, Scott Summers, and to a certain extent Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler, in over a year's worth of comics leading up to that storyline.

Obviously you can't do that in movies, but you could do a 2 movie lead-up. One with the Hellfire Club, one with the all space opera, and then culminate in Dark Phoenix. Apocalypse did nothing to make you feel anything for the new Marvel Girl and Cyclops, except to shrug and say OK, these are more interchangeable characters.

And IMO Sansa Stark isn't strong enough an actress to pull this off. She always seems shaky, tenuous, even when pretending to act all cocky-doody.
You've heard of Marvel and the MCU's Road to Infinity War, right?
Old 05-30-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if this is to be believed I'm not counting on this film being very good..
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dPjRl_KOTww" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also the same channel did a follow up video today which claims that this is the last Fox X-Men film. Makes sense but it'll be a shame if the film is indeed what's in the above video and the X-Men go out on that note.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BWPuHYsBuFY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-30-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I'm bit skeptical... The Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga was my favorite Uncanny X-Men comic series and I hope they don't fuck it up like they did to Elektra in Daredevil movie.
The original Phoenix saga was masterfully done. It spent a couple of years slowly getting into Jean's head and her lack of control over the Phoenix, not to mention Mastermind playing the long con. I can't see how they are going to make this work in two hours, especially since they'll have to waste time cramming the obligatory Wolverine cameo/reference in there as well.
Old 05-30-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate watching those videos, any quick summary of what the supposed details are?
Old 05-30-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Well for one it sounds like some things from The Last Stand are retreaded on. The video didn’t give a lot of details though. They both tell part of the same story though so not too surprising. It seems like it’s some of the elements people didn’t like though.

Professor X and Magneto are at ends again (surprise, surprise).

Mystique is accidentally killed by Jean/Phoenix prompting Beast to join Magneto’s team.

There’s a scene at the beginning with Jean’s parents getting supposedly getting killed because of her powers. Later though her father is revealed to be alive and she’s mad at Charles because she thinks he lied to her.

No costumes like shown at the end of Apocalypse. Sounds like they’re mostly in street clothes other than a couple scenes with the black jumpsuits.

The villains are these aliens who the team encounters when trying to save a space ship which is also when Jean becomes Phoenix (like in the comics sounds like). They accidentally land there and the aliens just decide to face off with them for no explanation.

Otherwise just some generic things like it comes off dull and like not a lot of time was put into it. It is supposed to be a rough cut though so aspects may change.

Last edited by dex14; 05-30-18 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I already watched the video, but you might want to use some spoiler tags there, as this isn't a spoiler thread.
Old 05-30-18, 07:12 PM

WTF, Mike!
Old 05-30-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry, my fault for asking!
Old 05-30-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops I meant to use spoiler tags. it’s all rumors at this point anyways.
Old 08-09-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Report: 3 months of reshoots scheduled in Montreal.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-dark-phoen...ampaign=CBR-TW

Edit: Looks like this is a follow up to the report from March about the reshoots.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-09-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

They're still keeping up the pretense that this will actually be released? No way it sees the light of day.
Old 08-09-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
They're still keeping up the pretense that this will actually be released? No way it sees the light of day.
Well these reshoots could be contractually obligated but who knows if it will ever get released.
Old 08-09-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Wow, 3 months? So they're starting from scratch? That's a whole new movie.
Old 08-09-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Has there actually been any substance to this not getting released? Other then one source, I find it much more difficult to believe that it won't get released.
Old 08-09-18, 10:36 AM

Hmm... maybe Disney will have some influence in the reshoots?

Walt Disney Studios revealed Tuesday it intends to develop the X-Men and Fantastic Four properties during its Third Quarter 2018 financial result conference call.

The longtime owner of many Marvel properties that have been used to develop the Marvel Cinematic Universe will take control of the remaining properties owned by 20th Century Fox when Disney completes it acquisition of Fox. While the studio has remained quiet on its plans for existing Fox properties, Disney CEO Bob Iger acknowledged plans for the Fox-owned Marvel properties and more.

20th Century Fox gives Disney "opportunity" such as "Avatar, Marvel's X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool, Kingsman, Planet of the Apes," and many other franchises, Iger said on the call. He also noted that the studio will explore possibilities for these properties with both big and small screen endeavors as Disney's streaming service becomes a major focus.
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/...ool-mcu-plans/

Last edited by dex14; 08-09-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Has there actually been any substance to this not getting released? Other then one source, I find it much more difficult to believe that it won't get released.
It’s seemed to be in limbo for a while. It disappeared off of the official Fox website where they have their list of upcoming films a while back. I think it was supposedly slated for like November or so originally. I’m not saying it’s cancelled but in some ways I wouldn’t be too surprised since it’s sounded like it’s plagued by problems. Now that Disney is in charge I wouldn’t be surprised if they and Marvel Studios want to save a storyline like this for a future film rather than wasting it on a crappy film for a second time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.