Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Old 08-09-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, H

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Itís seemed to be in limbo for a while. It disappeared off of the official Fox website where they have their list of upcoming films a while back. I think it was supposedly slated for like November or so originally. Iím not saying itís cancelled but in some ways I wouldnít be too surprised since itís sounded like itís plagued by problems. Now that Disney is in charge I wouldnít be surprised if they and Marvel Studios want to save a storyline like this for a future film rather than wasting it on a crappy film for a second time.
Plenty of movies have gone through delays and reshoots, which is why I was deliberately asking if there was more to it actually being completely cancelled then speculation off of the one report I saw or if there's actually been other rumors of it happening since Double_Oh_7 seemed so sure about it.
Old 08-09-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, H

Contrary to reports, X-Men: Dark Phoenix is not going back in for an extensive round of reshoots, we at Collider can confirm. Earlier this year, the X-Men sequel was pulled off of its November 2018 release date and pushed to February 2019. After test screenings, it was determined the film needed some additional photography (as is routine when it comes to studio blockbusters), but owing to the busy schedules of the A-list cast, the production couldnít assemble everyone in time to meet the November release date, so the date was pushed.

Now that the additional photography on Dark Phoenix is poised to take place later this year, Montreal outlet LaPresse reported that the film would be undergoing ďthree monthsĒ of photography, which would suggest extensive changes to longtime X-Men writer/producer Simon Kinbergís directorial debut.
x-men-dark-phoenix-simon-kinberg-michael-fassbender

Image via 20th Century Fox

Sources close to the production of Dark Phoenix tell Collider that this report is erroneous. The film is indeed going back for additional photography in Montreal, but itís only scheduled to last two and a half weeks. Thatís a pretty standard amount of time for a major blockbuster, and is on par with the time spent on additional photography for Marvel Studios movies like Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther.

Our sources tell us that the additional photography will involve some additional action in the filmís third act, a couple of new scenes, and adding some shots for existing scenes. So no, contrary to rumors, this is not a major overhaul.

Kinberg wrote and directed Dark Phoenix, which serves as a follow-up to X-Men: Apocalypse but takes place a decade later in the 1990s. The story is under wraps aside from the obvious fact that itís drawing from the iconic Dark Phoenix comics arc, which will find Sophie Turnerís Jean Grey taking center stage and Jessica Chastain playing a new key role.

Itís unclear which actors, exactly, are involved in the additional photography, but both Chastain and James McAvoy are currently in the midst of shooting IT Chapter Two and Turner only recently wrapped the final season of Game of Thrones, so those three actors playing major characters have been/are tied up for quite some time.

The necessary cast members will reassemble soon in Montreal for a couple weeks of additional photography, but no, theyíre not reshooting the entire film.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix hits theaters on February 14, 2019.
Old 08-09-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Plenty of movies have gone through delays and reshoots, which is why I was deliberately asking if there was more to it actually being completely cancelled then speculation off of the one report I saw or if there's actually been other rumors of it happening since Double_Oh_7 seemed so sure about it.
Yeah, I wasnít claiming to be right and obviously wasnít with the post above this one clearing some things up. It just seemed sort of like it could happen and frankly I wouldnít be overly upset if it never came out.
Old 08-11-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting if this iwll work out. I've seen recent rumors say Disney would cancel Dark Phoenix and New Mutants. But I guess they will just do reshoots.

Would be cool if they bring in Olsen as Wanda in Dark Phoenix.
Old 09-26-18, 08:51 AM

Old 09-26-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

oh damn, its actually going to get released
Old 09-26-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still think it's weird that people were so sure it wouldn't be.
Old 09-26-18, 09:25 AM

Yea. Seemed like it was just some shrill on YouTube peddling that and people buying in.
Old 09-26-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was never sure that it wouldn't be, but I didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility that Disney would dump it (possibly to DVD or Streaming).

I believe that there have been reshoots since that time though, so once that happened, I was pretty sure that it was coming out.

I still don't think New Mutants will see the light of day though.
Old 09-26-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

New Mutants is the one I was anticipating the most
Old 09-26-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasnít really positive that it wouldnít come out if youíre referring to what I posted earlier. I just thought it seemed like a believable story that Disney may have decided to can it since itís sounded like itís had a lot of issues and may have not wanted to cause further damage to the brand than has already been done by Fox.

Either way Iím not overly excited about the film. Iím sure Iíll see it at some point but I still donít think this iteration of the X-Men has seen enough to warrant this story or to make me care about it. I guess weíll just have another fucked up version of this story and itíll probably never be done properly.
Old 09-26-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damage?

Apocalypse: $500m
Days of Future Past: $750m
Logan: $600m
Deadpool: $630m
Deadpool 2: $680m

Yeah, Fox was really shitting the bed with this franchise. For a recent MCU comparison Ant man and the Wasp and Dr Strange are in the mid $600 range. Thor Ragnarok was a little higher at $850 and of course Black Panther's gajillion dollar haul.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-26-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Damage?

Apocalypse: $500m
Days of Future Past: $750m
Logan: $600m
Deadpool: $630m
Deadpool 2: $680m

Yeah, Fox was really shitting the bed with this franchise.
Not financially. Critically and audience perception. Those aspects are just as important to keeping a brand healthy long term as making money. Some of the films have done well sure, but itís been a rocky road with Fox and the X-Men. Particularly the last real X-Men film (which I would say Apocalypse was the last real one, the others are kinda their own things really) was very much a shit show and I think most would agree. Hell the numbers even back that up. Apocalypse brought in a quarter of a million less than its predecessor (Days of Future Past).

Last edited by Mike86; 09-26-18 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. The Last Stand and Origins Wolverine probably didn't lose money (especially globally) but they sure damaged the X-Men brand big time.
Old 09-26-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I wasnít really positive that it wouldnít come out if youíre referring to what I posted earlier.
No, I'm referring to the person I originally quoted saying that there was no chance this would see the light of day.
Old 09-26-18, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-27-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That looks pretty good.
Old 09-27-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So it's just Dark Phoenix rather then X-Men: Dark Phoenix or something?

Looks ok, the drama seems there. I like what looks like some semblence of X-Men costumes from the New X-Men run of comics. Some shots of a ship make me hopeful there's some actual stuff in space, but the majority of the footage seems local so I hope the scale is there.
Old 09-27-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh. Looks like they kept some of the Last Stand stuff (Jean going to find Magneto and join him).

I'm just not sold on this cast. The original X-Men cast was outstanding. This group? Meh. They're OK. Not bad.

I'm not particularly excited about this one, but we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-27-18, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, they're using the same angle from X-Men Last Stand that Charles messed with her mind to suppress her powers?

From the unused X-Men 3 plot:

The idea - you open up with Alkali Lake but it's completely barren and dried up and there are these odd reports of strange phenomena going on around the world accompanied by bright lights in the sky.

The idea would be that both the X-Men and the Brotherhood realize that essentially a very god-like force had entered their reality and that it was causing disruptions around the world...

I would have liked to see something like that in the trailer.

In this trailer, it looks like Jean simply turns into a bad guy. The Blackbird going into space looked cool, so maybe that's a hint that the story is wider in scope.
Old 09-27-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks small. Who even gives a shit about these characters, this version of them at least?
Old 09-27-18, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. From what I can tell it seems like those spoilers I posted a while back about some of the supposed plot leaks were somewhat accurate. I dunno about this. It looks fine enough but not overly impressive or anything. I do like the outfits at least. I wish theyíd have worn costumes like those all along if they wanted a more basic look thatís still comic accurate.

I just donít feel attachment to a lot of the characters to really care about this movieís storyline. Iíve said it already but its far too early for this story with these versions of the characters. Weíve had one film with this version of Jean, Scott, Storm, etc. so thereís no investment in the characters and knowing nothing else is coming after this itís kinda coming off as pointless. I suppose if nothing else this is the swan song for these versions of Charles, Erik, Hank, etc.
Old 09-27-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like a remake of The Last Stand.

Which, I supose it is, but it looks like they’re taking way too many cues from that turd.

At least this means Disney won’t attempt to do a third adaption of the Claremont/Byrne classic when they get the X-Men back.
Old 09-27-18, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I'm a sucker but I think this looks really good. Yes Beast and Mystique look like crap but they always have. I like the "First Class" much better than the originals. Fassbender, Mcavoy and Turner I feel something from more than their predecessors.
Old 09-27-18, 06:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

the kid playing Cyclops has no screen presence whatsoever. That may hurt this.

Always down for more McAvoy and Fassbender.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.