Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
They're afraid to get too fantastical after the internet hated Apocalypse.
Maybe they should just stop trusting Singer to make something good.
Old 08-29-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018, D: Kinberg), S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Hoult, e

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
They're afraid to get too fantastical after the internet hated Apocalypse.
Ah yes, damn that internet!

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Maybe they should just stop trusting Singer to make something good.
He's made more good X-Men movies then bad.
Old 08-29-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I'd say he's about 50/50 personally. X2 and Days of Future Past are good (though I still sorta think X2 is overrated) and X-Men is average by today's standards for comic films and Apocalypse isn't very good.
Old 08-29-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I enjoyed Apocalypse. Maybe I lowered my expectations after reading negative reactions on the internet, and I was admittedly tipsy while watching, but I didn't think it was bad. On par with First Class if not as good as DOFP.
Old 08-29-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
He's made more good X-Men movies then bad.
I have yet to find one that I like. Too many changes for my tastes.
Old 08-29-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Personal opinions aside, at the end of the day X-Men, X2, and Days of Future Past are all highly rated movies and well received. My point is that an attempted jab at Singer doesn't really make sense, and it's clear why Fox has trusted Singer.

For what it's worth, I thought Apocalypse was decent. Wasn't as great as his other movies, but not that bad either.
Old 08-30-17, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I liked Apocalypse more than DoFP; I find the latter to be good but quite overrated. The storyline is a mess. Apocalypse isn't perfect by any means but it's an enjoyable adventure for what it is.
Old 08-30-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Personal opinions aside, at the end of the day X-Men, X2, and Days of Future Past are all highly rated movies and well received. My point is that an attempted jab at Singer doesn't really make sense, and it's clear why Fox has trusted Singer.
He also has a writing and producing credit for First Class. IMDB also lists him as an uncredited producer on The Wolverine.

So basically, all* the X-Men films everyone hates...he had nothing to do with.

*I don't know what the consensus on Apocalypse was since I saw it late.
Old 08-30-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I liked Apocalypse more than DoFP; I find the latter to be good but quite overrated.
Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard that. I thought DoFP was one of the best X-Men movies, probably only behind X2 and maybe Logan if we count that. I thought Apocalypse was a train wreck on just about every level.
Old 08-30-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can agree about thinking Days of Future Past is a bit overrated, but no way would I say Apocalypse is better. It's honestly pretty dumbfounding how Singer was kind of able to unravel the problems of the X-Men film universe a bit only to follow up by screwing it back up again. Also I didn't like the way that Mystique was not only pretty much the leader of the group but the fact that Lawrence hardly is even in the blue for most of the film. If it was just it's own separate thing I don't think Apocalypse would be terrible but as a sequel to a better film it's not good.
Old 08-30-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They spent money that they didn't need to by bringing JLaw back. That money's got to come out of the budget somewhere.
oh man she coming back again? wasted money

As far as Singer, I enjoy all his X-men movies but they don't come close to Logan or X-Men First Class. Well DOFP comes close
Old 08-30-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
oh man she coming back again? wasted money
Agreed.

One of the things that bothers me about these recent X-Men movies is how Mystique has become a completely different character than the one in the first X-Men movie. She went from a formidable, evil, somewhat mysterious mutant villain who said very little to one of the "leaders" (and least interesting members) of the X-Men. I know narratively it can be explained away by the alternate timeline garbage, but it just takes me out of these movies because it's so obvious that they went that route in conjunction with Jennifer Lawrence's rising stardom, so it feels really forced to me.
Old 08-30-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus JLaw can't stand the blue makeup, so you hardly ever get to see Mystique in her natural form.
Old 12-07-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

There are more at the link:
http://ew.com/movies/xmen-dark-phoen...tainmentweekly
Old 12-07-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Looks awful. Turner is such an attractive woman and they're hiding that, not to mention the fire looks really bad. Mystique has no facial expression, which I guess I should be used to since she hasn't had one for the last 3 movies.
Old 12-07-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Too early to tell much from just a few stills and posed shots, in my opinion. What's interesting to me is some of the tidbits about the story -

Dark Phoenix will be the first time the X-Men venture into space as seen in this concept art. At the beginning of the film, the team is dispatched on a rescue mission but a solar flare hits the X-Jet. Jean uses her power to save the team but the extreme surge of energy unlocks the Phoenix.
And about Chastain's character -

The Molly's Game star plays an otherwordly shapeshifter who manipulates Phoenix for her own agenda. Chastain's villain is quiet but brutal. "Simon and I were talking about the character and I said, 'I keep thinking of the vet who tells you you need to put your dog down,'" says the actress of her inspiration. "There’s something very clinical about it."
Old 12-07-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Looks awful. Turner is such an attractive woman and they're hiding that, not to mention the fire looks really bad. Mystique has no facial expression, which I guess I should be used to since she hasn't had one for the last 3 movies.
I haven't bought Turner in the role in Apocalypse so I don't have much hope with this movie. And yeah, agree on Lawrence.
Old 12-07-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too early to tell much from just a few stills and posed shots, in my opinion. What's interesting to me is some of the tidbits about the story -

And about Chastain's character -
Lady Mastermind?
Old 12-07-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Lady Mastermind?
I was thinking Cassandra Nova, but that'd be hard to explain...
Old 12-07-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly the problem with this movie is that the actress playing Jean has only been in one film and it was a crappy one. Going right from that to turning her into Dark Phoenix really diminishes the character and the storyline. This should be a story that’s ideally done after at least a couple or more films have been made. Yeah, I realize the films are all tied together to a degree but it definitely feels like Apocalypse and going forward are basically softly rebooting the franchise. This is one of the best X-Men stories and the fact that it’s being done a second time they should be getting it right but I have my doubts and feel like they’re just trying to go for a big money story.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-07-17 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Sophie on Game of Thrones, but she was damn shaky on Apocalypse. I think she was focusing too much on hiding her English accent that it affected her performance. Maybe this movie will be like The Last Stand, where Jean/Phoenix will just stand around and stare creepily while not saying much.
Old 12-07-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm bit skeptical... The Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga was my favorite Uncanny X-Men comic series and I hope they don't fuck it up like they did to Elektra in Daredevil movie.
Old 12-07-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Looks awful.
Wow, that is one quick snap judgement. And to think : I used to think that people jumped to conclusions too quickly based on a first trailer.
Old 12-07-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, that is one quick snap judgement. And to think : I used to think that people jumped to conclusions too quickly based on a first trailer.
How is it jumping to conclusions? To me those pictures look awful. I'm not saying it will be a terrible movie but images put out to "wet my appetite" did the exact opposite.
Old 03-12-18, 11:54 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

‘X-Men’ Star Tye Sheridan Teases ‘Dark Phoenix': ‘More of a Drama Vs a Superhero Film

Tye Sheridan, who stars as Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops in the the upcoming “X-Men: Dark Phoenix,” teased that the new movie is “more of a drama versus a superhero film.”

“Jean goes crazy in the movie,” Sheridan told TheWrap at SXSW about the new chapter in the Fox-based Marvel franchise that centers on Sophie Turner’s Jean Grey, a.k.a. Phoenix.

“Well, Cyclops doesn’t think she’s going crazy — Cyclops just thinks she’s gotta work some stuff out,” he said. “It’s interesting, the drama in the movie. We treated this movie as much more of a drama versus a superhero film.”

In an Entertainment Weekly article from December, Jennifer Lawrence, who stars as Raven/Mystique, said she would definitely call “Dark Phoenix” a “drama.”

“We have really great action scenes and we go to space like within the first five minutes of the movie,” she explained. “So it’s definitely exciting but emotionally all these characters are taking the biggest, most extreme dives than they have in the whole series.”

Sophie Turner also promised in a recent interview with Empire that the film was being revolutionized and that they wanted to create a “whole new genre of superhero movie.”

https://www.thewrap.com/x-men-dark-p...clusive-video/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.