Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Old 06-07-19, 01:39 PM

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Here's the interview where McAvoy basically says it's too similar to another movie that came out (Captain Marvel is speculated, but given when this was redone I'm not sure that makes sense) so they had to change it:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/x-men-da...114022281.html

I mean, sure, if they did a whole brood scene and then got sued by Fox or something... oh wait, they are Fox. So stupid. I'm pretty sure other movies like Solo have train scenes so I'm surprised they didn't reshoot again to move it to a boat.
While the cast of Simon Kinberg’s Dark Phoenix has spoken about the similarities between the film’s original ending and the ending of another recent big superhero film—similarities that were so extensive they required the final X-Men installment to undergo extensive reshoots—everyone has been coy about what that other superhero film was, as well as how Dark Phoenix’s new ending sets it apart.

Given that both Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel center cosmically-empowered women who journey into the stars as part of their character arcs, it made sense that Fox wouldn’t want audiences to see Jean as cramping Carol’s style.

When we had a chance to speak with Kinberg himself earlier this week to talk about the how Dark Phoenix evolved during the production process, he was candid about the parallels between his original ending and those of other Marvel movies, but pointed out that the reshoots took place long before the public had a chance to see Captain Marvel. Surprisingly, the big MCU movie Dark Phoenix’s original ending most closely resembled was about Captain America and Iron Man:

My original ending didn’t have the entire X-Family together the way they are in the film now. More than Captain Marvel, you could see a lot of Civil War in that ending. Usually, these big, huge action movies have the climactic moment in the third act. I loved the way that Civil War had its big action action set piece where everyone’s facing off more towards the end of the second act rather than in the third, so that after that huge battle, you’re left with Winter Soldier, Captain America, and Iron Man.

It’s this telescoped down view of their raw emotions, and I loved how intimate that was. That’s what I was going for with Dark Phoenix’s ending even though it then might have looked like Captain Marvel for about two minutes.

Kinberg elaborated that, at her full power, Jean’s sequences in space were reminiscent of some of Captain Marvel’s visuals, and that his original film truly would have torn the X-Men apart on an ideological level the way Civil War did for the Avengers. We’ll have more from this conversation coming soon after more folks have had a chance to see Dark Phoenix, which is in theaters now.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/simon-kinber...ow_io9_twitter
Old 06-07-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

I still don't get it. He liked the ending of Civil War, he liked that the big action piece was in the middle and wanted to end with just a whittled down cast for the final scene (which is exactly what Claremont and Byrne's Dark Phoenix saga ended with), he wanted that for his original ending... but it doesn't seem like it aped Civil War enough to warrant changing his ending.
Old 06-07-19, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I still don't get it. He liked the ending of Civil War, he liked that the big action piece was in the middle and wanted to end with just a whittled down cast for the final scene (which is exactly what Claremont and Byrne's Dark Phoenix saga ended with), he wanted that for his original ending... but it doesn't seem like it aped Civil War enough to warrant changing his ending.
It probably just sucked and the studio mandated a more action oriented third act.
Old 06-07-19, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
Yeah, the continuity is out of whack in these movies. First Class takes place in 1962 and Xavier and Magneto are in their late 20s-early 30s. Dark Phoenix is set in 1992, but these two certainly don't look around 60 years old in the movie.
James McAvoy turns into Patrick Stewart in 8 years.

I always found it funny how Dominic Cooper turns into John Slattery.
Old 06-07-19, 09:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

ugh why can't they just fucking age gracefully
Old 06-08-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst opening for an X-movie ever apparently... just $34m.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/b...ry-1203236658/
Old 06-08-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deleted Tweet from Producer Lauren Shuler Donner:

https://heroichollywood.com/x-men-da...e-new-mutants/
Old 06-08-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
Worst opening for an X-movie ever apparently... just $34m.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/b...ry-1203236658/
It's a lame duck movie. People know the series will eventually be rebooted under the Marvel proper brand (and it's not like the franchise has been great anyway save for a couple of them).
Old 06-08-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For a series that started so well, and had several really, really good movies, it's a shame that the whole thing ends this way.

It will be interesting to see what Marvel does with the property now.
Old 06-09-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
For a series that started so well, and had several really, really good movies, it's a shame that the whole thing ends this way.

It will be interesting to see what Marvel does with the property now.
Probably will take a long break, unless they figure out a way to integrate them into a current franchise (for instance, I can see them introducing the Fantastic Four in some way into Captain Marvel 2).
Old 06-09-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They should have brought Bryan Singer back to finish out the series.
Old 06-09-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't say...

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Deleted Tweet from Producer Lauren Shuler Donner:

https://heroichollywood.com/x-men-da...e-new-mutants/
Old 06-09-19, 10:01 AM

You don't say...
Shit. That didn’t load on my phone.
Old 06-10-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably will take a long break, unless they figure out a way to integrate them into a current franchise (for instance, I can see them introducing the Fantastic Four in some way into Captain Marvel 2).
I was thinking along the same lines, Marvel is not going to drop another 250+ million into this franchise and the several years it would take to put together a kick ass reboot. I was thinking that they should integrate the X-Men characters into other films (not all of the X-Men need to be dropped into a single film) and a space spaced film is a great idea. The next Guardians Of The Galaxy would be perfect, heck, Scott Summers’ father is Corsair from the Imperial Guard so you could have Cyclops in the film and introduce the Shiar (if they have not already popped up or even if they have).

Or your Captain Marvel idea would be great, I seem to remember an X-Men story or two involving Skrulls so you could have characters from the X-Men universe and FF universe show up in the next Captain Marvel film. I keep going back to how Thor Ragnarok also gave us Hulk and Valkyrie and this really could work.
Old 06-10-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're big enough characters (both FF and X-Men) that they should carry their own franchises, at least IMHO.
Old 06-10-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what does Disney do with Ryan Renolds' Deadpool? Too lucrative to walk away from, isn't it?
Old 06-11-19, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
So what does Disney do with Ryan Renolds' Deadpool? Too lucrative to walk away from, isn't it?
They've said the plan to continue making them and won't change anything.
Old 06-11-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They have this Fox banner they can release R rated content under.
Old 06-11-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's weird that the title is simply Dark Phoenix. An odd marketing misfire.
Old 06-11-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
It's weird that the title is simply Dark Phoenix. An odd marketing misfire.
I honest think the average person doesn't know it's an X-Men movie. Calling it X-Men: Dark Phoenix seems like a no brainier. I also think it shows how much people loved Hugh Jackman in these movies.
Old 06-11-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a lame duck movie. People know the series will eventually be rebooted under the Marvel proper brand (and it's not like the franchise has been great anyway save for a couple of them).
No they don't. For your average filmgoer, it's "another Marvel movie". They know nothing about Disney/Marvel Studios being different from Fox/X-Men movies.
Old 06-11-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I honest think the average person doesn't know it's an X-Men movie. Calling it X-Men: Dark Phoenix seems like a no brainier. I also think it shows how much people loved Hugh Jackman in these movies.
The X-Men brand was deemed to be so important that they rather awkwardly put it in the title of the first Wolverine film, but then they drop it here for an actual X-Men film.
Old 06-11-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's and X-Men logo in the title font though, so apparently this movie's connection to the X-Men franchise is no more important than say, Legion's (which does the same).
Old 06-11-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is known as X-Men: Dark Phoenix in most countries.
Old 06-12-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree about the title. Yeah it might be obvious if you're looking a poster or a trailer but they have to think if it passes the marquee test. Will someone off the street recognize what movie it is if they see it on a theater's marquee? When I went to watch it I was with two other guys and the original plan was to watch Godzilla but timing was off and even though the other two were geeky enough they didn't recognize that Dark Phoenix was the latest X-Men movie. I had to remind them.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.