Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Old 06-05-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

I wonder if Disney/Marvel is secretly happy this is garbage and leaving a a bad taste in everyone's mouth, they can eventually reboot, and there will be no out cry. Basically the only thing right Fox did with the X-Men is the 1st 2 movies, maybe 1st Class and Logan, which is essentially because of how great Jackman is in the role.

Sure, they want to make money, but this makes it easy to move on from the garbage Fox had churned out.
Old 06-05-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Dr. Doom is easy. He's Iron Man. Rich, powerful, egotistical, and brilliant. He has no powers, he has tech. He thinks he knows better than the people running his country, only unlike Iron Man he decides to take it over. He doesn't think he's the bad guy, he just thinks everyone who questions or opposes him is a fool.

Treat him like amoral Iron Man.
You would think it would be simple to adapt this to, say, a lex luthor instead of whatever it was we got.

The problem with adapting a good Dr. Doom isn't Doom himself, who is an iconic bad guy, it's adapting a good Fantastic Four and a Reed Richards you could honestly see as overshadowing him.
Old 06-05-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I wonder if Disney/Marvel is secretly happy this is garbage and leaving a a bad taste in everyone's mouth, they can eventually reboot, and there will be no out cry. Basically the only thing right Fox did with the X-Men is the 1st 2 movies, maybe 1st Class and Logan, which is essentially because of how great Jackman is in the role.

Sure, they want to make money, but this makes it easy to move on from the garbage Fox had churned out.

Dead on. Let it sit as they move forward on Phase 4, get Fantastic 4 done right, then follow that up with a rebooted X-men.
Old 06-05-19, 05:14 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, but everything has been rebooted and those movies aren't in continuity anymore. There is no emotional attachment to Sophie Turner's version of the character.
This.
Old 06-05-19, 05:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Ironic because the success of X-Men kind of launched the era of good/profitable superhero movies.
Old 06-05-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

This is my favorite X-Men story line.... I read reviews and now I a bit disappointed. But, I will still go watch it tomorrow.
Old 06-05-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I dug Days of Future Past, it would have been a solid series finale
Old 06-05-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I dug Days of Future Past, it would have been a solid series finale
Yeah I forgot about that one. It was decent too. Still, half the things attached to X-Men have been shit.
Old 06-05-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

The only X-Men movie I unabashedly loved was First Class. Everything else ranged from really good (X2, Logan) to the OK (The Wolverine, Apocalypse, DOFP) to the utter excrement (Last Stand, Origins: Wolverine). It's time to put a bullet in the entire series.
Old 06-05-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Eh, screw the bad reviews. I love the series. Only Apocalypse and Wolverine:Origins were weak, IMO. Even so, Magneto had a great story in Apocalypse.
Old 06-05-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This franchise has never been very good with continuity. Every time I watched one I felt like I missed one or two movies in between. So it's not much surprise they screwed up the Phoenix story again.
Old 06-05-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The only X-Men movie I unabashedly loved was First Class. Everything else ranged from really good (X2, Logan) to the OK (The Wolverine, Apocalypse, DOFP) to the utter excrement (Last Stand, Origins: Wolverine). It's time to put a bullet in the entire series.
First Class is far and away my favorite of the X-Men team films. I think by a longshot it's the best one. Logan is my favorite of the offshoot X/Wolverine films. Those two are my favorite. All the rest I really don't care a whole lot about, although I do think The Wolverine is also pretty entertaining despite not being perfect.
Old 06-05-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought it was weird that they jumped from First Class being in the 60s to Apocalypse being in the 80s. The 60s era gave X-Men a new vibe, and I was looking forward to seeing more films in that era.
Old 06-05-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I liked Days of Future Past. I thought the last one sucked though.
Old 06-05-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought it was weird that they jumped from First Class being in the 60s to Apocalypse being in the 80s. The 60s era gave X-Men a new vibe, and I was looking forward to seeing more films in that era.
To be fair, they jumped from First Class in the 60s to DOFP in the 70s to Apocalypse in the 80s. I assume Dark Phoenix takes place in the 90s, though I haven't read reviews and I don't know for sure.
Old 06-06-19, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Someone who’s seen this will have to tell me, but is it true that
Spoiler:
Phoenix doesn’t even die? Talk about missing the point. X3 is looking better all the time....
Old 06-06-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
You would think it would be simple to adapt this to, say, a lex luthor instead of whatever it was we got.

The problem with adapting a good Dr. Doom isn't Doom himself, who is an iconic bad guy, it's adapting a good Fantastic Four and a Reed Richards you could honestly see as overshadowing him.
And yet, BOTH times that Fox adapeted Dr. Doom they screwed him up. Badly.

Dr. Doom doesn't have powers. I don't know why the writers, producers, and directors felt the need to change Dr. Doom into a super powered villain. The threat he posed was due to his intellect and his tech. Why is that so hard to figure out?

The source material was great. The adaptations sucked because they made radical changes to the source material.

Imagine Marvel changing the Cinematic Iron Man into a guy with super powers who just put on a suit as protection from bullets or something. That would have been equally stupid.

It's all about the TECH. Doom is a freaking genius, like Tony Stark. It's not hard to adapt that to the big screen.
Old 06-06-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And yet, BOTH times that Fox adapeted Dr. Doom they screwed him up. Badly.

Dr. Doom doesn't have powers. I don't know why the writers, producers, and directors felt the need to change Dr. Doom into a super powered villain. The threat he posed was due to his intellect and his tech. Why is that so hard to figure out?

The source material was great. The adaptations sucked because they made radical changes to the source material.

Imagine Marvel changing the Cinematic Iron Man into a guy with super powers who just put on a suit as protection from bullets or something. That would have been equally stupid.

It's all about the TECH. Doom is a freaking genius, like Tony Stark. It's not hard to adapt that to the big screen.
But like I said before, both times they also screwed up the FF.
Old 06-06-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

But like I said before, both times they also screwed up the FF.
Yeah, and??

The FF would have been easier to do if they had done Doom right. They made Doom either vain and insecure or really odd and quirky. Neither take is the real Doom.

Make Doom formidable, and then you HAVE to make Reed formidable as an intellect. Make Doom less, and Reed can be less. He has to be.
Old 06-06-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
To be fair, they jumped from First Class in the 60s to DOFP in the 70s to Apocalypse in the 80s. I assume Dark Phoenix takes place in the 90s, though I haven't read reviews and I don't know for sure.
Just how old are McAvoy and Fassbender supposed to be in this movie (Lawrence I guess you could excuse with shapeshifting)?

edited to add: and Beast.
Old 06-06-19, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just how old are McAvoy and Fassbender supposed to be in this movie (Lawrence I guess you could excuse with shapeshifting)?

edited to add: and Beast.
Yeah, the continuity is out of whack in these movies. First Class takes place in 1962 and Xavier and Magneto are in their late 20s-early 30s. Dark Phoenix is set in 1992, but these two certainly don't look around 60 years old in the movie.
Old 06-06-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Yeah, the continuity is out of whack in these movies. First Class takes place in 1962 and Xavier and Magneto are in their late 20s-early 30s. Dark Phoenix is set in 1992, but these two certainly don't look around 60 years old in the movie.
Yeah, I’m not sure why they thought it was necessary to have the films featuring the First Class cast set in a different decade for each film. Really messed up with how old the characters are supposed to be. I guess what’s it matter though? The entire franchise is fucked as far as the timeline.
Old 06-07-19, 11:37 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

WTF happened to Famke!?! Those cheek enhancements are horrible.

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kR1m85_4xOk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-07-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
WTF happened to Famke!?! Those cheek enhancements are horrible.

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kR1m85_4xOk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
damn... not the Famke I remember. Jesus..
Old 06-07-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
damn... not the Famke I remember. Jesus..
Plastic surgery rears its ugly head again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.