Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenki

Doug Jones played Abe Sapien and the creature in Shape of Water.

Surprised how much I liked this movie.

I hope the Blu-ray drops to $9.99 this year.
Old 04-11-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenki

So I'm on a plane to Tokyo and need to choose movies to watch from the menu on the screen in front of me. (Thank you, JAL!) I decide to go with THE SHAPE OF WATER first, given that it won Best Picture of 2017 and I don't know when I'll get another opportunity in the near future to see it for free in a place where I can't get up and walk out.

I could not suspend my disbelief for one second. How in the world is a monster who already attacked the chief of security, severely wounding him, left unguarded and unwatched from that point on? How does a cleaning lady with no security clearance get unhampered access to said monster day in and day out in a top-secret government facility? Why, when they realize what's going on, do they do nothing to stop this access? Makes absolutely no sense to me. The whole thing was just stupid.
Old 09-24-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This is on HBO, so I watched it over the weekend. There was nothing original or different here. I've seen this story 1000 times in film and it brought nothing new at all. Hell, even knowing Doug Jones played this creature and Abe Sapien fucked with my head. I couldn't NOT think of Abe. TSoW was like an "adult" extension of Abe's story with sex and all had he hooked up with the princess from The Golden Army or if he had fallen for a Human. Hey, at least now my question about where "Gill Men" keep their penises was answered...been wondering about that since The Creature from the Black Lagoon so there's that. The amount of praise del Toro is given for films like this is interesting. He doesn't always get them right but some refuse to see this. Is it because they're still in love with Pan's Labyrinth? Who knows...

-Creature design. But again, can't get Abe Sapien and Doug Jones who obviously played both out of my head.
-60's setting (it added something to it.)
-The balls to deal with Human / Fantastic Creature sexuality. Yeah, I know....
-Having a Gay character. To me he added some real sadness and heart to this otherwise Meh film.
-Nudity and weird sex
-Gill Man Penis ??'s answered.
-The ending was a heart tug. But that was after feeling like I wanted the film to end for about 40min before that scene.
-Weird realization, Octavia Butler played a Maid at a Research facility here, then a Mathematician and Supervisor in Hidden Figures.

Dislikes:
-Boring cookie cutter story
-The OSCAR wins for this film
-As Ash Ketchum said..the Security lapses in the facility. I mean shit...they were ridiculous. Maybe the 60's setting make these lapses easier?
-Having a non Latina play a Latina. Seriously del Toro?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-24-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
This is on HBO, so I watched it over the weekend. There was nothing original or different here. I've seen this story 1000 times in film and it brought nothing new at all. Hell, even knowing Doug Jones played this creature and Abe Sapien fucked with my head. I couldn't NOT think of Abe. TSoW was like an "adult" extension of Abe's story with sex and all had he hooked up with the princess from The Golden Army or if he had fallen for a Human. Hey, at least now my question about where "Gill Men" keep their penises was answered...been wondering about that since The Creature from the Black Lagoon so there's that. The amount of praise del Toro is given for films like this is interesting. He doesn't always get them right but some refuse to see this. Is it because they're still in love with Pan's Labyrinth? Who knows...

-Creature design. But again, can't get Abe Sapien and Doug Jones who obviously played both out of my head.
-Having a Gay character. To me he added some real sadness and heart to this otherwise Meh film.
-Nudity and weird sex
-The ending was a heart tug. But that was after feeling like I wanted the film to end for about 40min before that scene.
-Weird realization, Octavia Butler played a Maid at a Research facility here, then a Mathematician and Supervisor in Hidden Figures.

Dislikes:
-As Ash Ketchum said..the Security lapses in the facility. I mean shit...they were ridiculous. Maybe the 60's setting make these lapses easier?
Thought the movie was completely magical and special. But then again people love a crap fest like the Last Jedi so good is definitely individual.
Old 09-24-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

-Nudity and weird sex

Dislikes:
I feel like a broken record when I talk about Del Toro. The guy has an amazing eyes for visuals but is a merely mediocre director.

As is the case with most of his movies, I think the visuals (the beautiful retro Sci-Fi production design) are the best thing about this movie.

And as much as I crap on Del Toro for his direction, I still love Pan’s Labyrinth and The Devil’s Backbone.
Old 05-14-19, 07:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

I finally saw this. I agree with Giantrobo 100%. In addition to this being nothing new and basically just another version of Frankenstein, I don’t like how on the nose it was. Most of Del Toro’s personal films are the same way; the monster isn’t a monster at all and the real monster is the cruel human. But he puts it right in the (utterly unnecessary) opening voice over! It’s too obvious and all his films are too alike.

Also, the villain was comically bad. The actor’s style and the Cold War setting kept reminding me of the Chris Macdonald character in the Iron Giant, which in turn kept reminding me of Happy Gilmore. And that’s how silly this villain is. He’s an Adam Sandler villain.
Old 05-16-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I finally saw this. I agree with Giantrobo 100%. In addition to this being nothing new and basically just another version of Frankenstein, I don’t like how on the nose it was. Most of Del Toro’s personal films are the same way; the monster isn’t a monster at all and the real monster is the cruel human. But he puts it right in the (utterly unnecessary) opening voice over! It’s too obvious and all his films are too alike.
I wouldn't necessarily argue your point, but I still enjoy nearly all of his films (excepting the Japan Godzilla knock-off).