Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenkins

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenki

Wondrous and beautifully told romantic fantasy. 5/5 for me. One of my top three theatrical films of 2018 and probably my favorite overall, but I need to see it again to process it. My other two favorites are Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri and Dunkirk.

I've usually been hit-or-miss with Del Toro. Crimson Peak was a beautiful failure and the Hellboys were just meh to me. But I've loved all his Spanish-language films, but wasn't hopeful that he could reach the heights of Pan's Labyrinth or Devil's Backbone. However, I think this exceeds his previous films thus far. Imho, it's his most successful film yet.
Old 01-08-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Shape of Water (2017, D: del Toro) S: Hawkins, Shannon, Spencer, Jones, Jenki

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
How is this not a Hellboy prequel again?
That's what I was thinking the whole time I was watching this. Even the character is called "Amphibian Man" and too similar to Abe Sapien being referred to as the "Amphibious Man" in the comics. Plus a few other similarities I won't spoil. Maybe, it's his relative.
Old 01-08-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved the movie. I'm not sure how the scenes of racism fit in the larger narrative.
Old 01-08-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

It was the way things were then.
Old 01-08-18, 10:03 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
One of my top three theatrical films of 2018 and probably my favorite overall
A whole 8 days into 2018 and your list is already complete?
Old 01-09-18, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Loved the movie. I'm not sure how the scenes of racism fit in the larger narrative.
Seriously?
Old 01-09-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Seriously?
About what?
Old 01-09-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

About what?
I'm not sure how the scenes of racism fit in the larger narrative.

That.
Old 01-09-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That.
I don't get what you don't understand. So did you think the racism fit with the main story? Did you not see the racism?

For example the black people getting hosed down didn't really add anything to the story for me nor did the black couple getting kicked out of the restaurant. The racism of antagonist did add to the main story though.
Old 01-09-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get what you don't understand. So did you think the racism fit with the main story? Did you not see the racism?

For example the black people getting hosed down didn't really add anything to the story for me nor did the black couple getting kicked out of the restaurant. The racism of antagonist did add to the main story though.

The racism was not part of the main story, it was to enhance the subplots. It showed the guy hated gays and black people. Shannon, since he was the main antagonist, held of those traits in one.

I guess I took it differently. It didn't bother me but I also understand why it was in the film to begin with.
Old 01-09-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The racism was not part of the main story, it was to enhance the subplots. It showed the guy hated gays and black people. Shannon, since he was the main antagonist, held of those traits in one.

I guess I took it differently. It didn't bother me but I also understand why it was in the film to begin with.
How did the black people getting kicked out or the black people getting hosed down add to showing the racism form the guy? He wasn't even present during those part? Oh wait you mean the cook. Well the cook wasn't present either during the hosing and showing that he was racist in addition to being homophobic did nothing for the plot. The old guy still hit on him after he showed his racism. The old man didn't have a change of heart until the cook turned on him. Without the black couple literally nothing changes

Also Shannon never showed any hate towards gay. Even if he did his hate for gays in noway effects the cook's hate for gys. Showing any racism outside of his scenes was pointless. The movie never made a comparison between him and the cook. The racism and bad behavior from Shannon was enough to let the audience know he was a bad guy.
Old 01-10-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I've only seen a few Del Toro films, so I'm not really a fan of his or fantasy/monster stuff.

But I took the plunge and could tell about 15 minutes in that this was going to be really good. And it was.

Hawkins was amazing. The whole cast was good. Maybe a bit too violent in the last 20 minutes or so, but very very good. One of the best of the year.
Old 01-10-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Kinda a weird specific question, but how much sign language is in the movie?
Old 01-10-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Kinda a weird specific question, but how much sign language is in the movie?
There is some, considering that is how the main character communicates.
It is either subtitled, spoken aloud by another person, or in one instance there is a slight delay in a finger-spelling scene for comedic/dramatic effect (though my wife was laughing before I was as she knows sign language)
Old 01-10-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks! My son is deaf so I am always interested in movies or tv shows that feature use of it.
Old 01-10-18, 03:30 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Disregard Shannon's character for a moment. Look at the main character - she's a mute woman who has, essentially, three relationships in her life: an African American woman, a gay man, and an alien/lizard man/whatever. You could look at the entire film as a metaphor for how marginalized groups are and have been treated in this country. I mean, it more than that, but that's certainly at its core.
Old 01-11-18, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm starting to think this will win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I'd be happy with that, although, I loved Three Billboards slightly more.
Old 01-11-18, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Disregard Shannon's character for a moment. Look at the main character - she's a mute woman who has, essentially, three relationships in her life: an African American woman, a gay man, and an alien/lizard man/whatever. You could look at the entire film as a metaphor for how marginalized groups are and have been treated in this country. I mean, it more than that, but that's certainly at its core.
For me, a child from an interracial union, this spoke to me greatly as I have been scrutinized and discriminated against in the past because I dared to be with someone not of my "race" or "breeding". As I'm sure it spoke to others who have been in any relationship that wasn't stamped and approved by some moral majority bullshit.

Having Jenkin's pie subplot run alongside the main storyline drives that point home how society discriminates against the whole idea that "love is love".

And, of course, bigots of any stripe are, to nobody's surprise, hateful racists too.
Old 01-11-18, 11:02 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Haven't read the thread and I will read and post more later. I caught this late last night (thank you, Movie Pass!) and really enjoyed it. I wept at the end, fully prepared for what appeared to have happened to be what happened until something else happened.
Old 01-11-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Agreed. I don't agree with Baron's assessment that everything outside of Shannon's character added zero to the storyline.
Old 01-13-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie is still not showing in my small town of Wichita, KS. Anyone else not seen this yet? I thought it was in nation wide release.
Old 01-13-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

OMG guys! Guess what I finally get to see this weekend?!

Nope. Going to see my neice perform in a stage version of Mary Poppins.

Still nowhere near me either, edstein. This was one of my most anticipated films. I was going to buy the poster because I think it is gorgeous. Now, I think I am pretty resolute on my boycott. I won’t go see it in a theater IF it ever gets near here. Probably won’t blind buy it (I know it is great, but I’m limiting my buying to things that I know are rewatchable). Looks like I will wait for streaming where I don’t spend any extra money on it.

If they don’t care to put this out for people to see, why should I bother?
Old 01-13-18, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not here in Illinois either. I am resorting to illegal means to watch it at home tonight. I would have traveled to see this movie. Too bad.
Old 01-13-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Hot damn spsimmons! My neice’s play is in Peoria! I’m leaving Springfield in about 20 minutes ... can I come over? I’ll bring the beer and tissues.

Because our theaters suck here, I usually travel for something I’m wanting to see. I’m lucky enough to have Peoria and Bloomington an hour away, and Champaign just a little more than that. Although, my last trip to the Bloomington IMAX was bad enough I won’t be back for awhile.
Old 01-13-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah semi-wide releases can be a bitch. This is in over 720 theaters but didn't really do gangbusters business which means further expansion has to wait until Oscar nominations to float it, if at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.