Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Again, Gunn’s real mistake is that his pedo jokes weren’t funny. And that he speaks out against Trump. He was targeted for his political beliefs.

How do the Puritans here feel about the two Always Sunny episodes that make jokes about pedophilia? And the resident pedophile on Family Guy. Are those designed to make us laugh and feel uncomfortable about a serious issue? Or is it because the Always Sunny and Family Guy writers are pedophiles?
Old 08-26-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

As I said before, those that target others out of pure hate or silly ideologies will one day end up on the list of someone else far more dangerous. It is just a matter of time.
Old 08-26-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Disney is the boss in this scenario and can do whatever the fuck they want to do, whether they knew these posts or his comments existed or not... even if they turned a blind eye because they thought they could get away with it. My guess is that they were somewhat aware and since life was much different in regards to social justice warriors a mere 5 years ago it wasn't deemed such a big deal. But guess what, it now is, and Disney has the right to clean up their own backyard. Fuck Bautista and his constant bitching if he simply can't see that. I'd love to see Disney say fuck off, and when Drax returns from the ashes he is played by John Cena, or Mamoa, or The Rock, or The Mountain, or... or... or... and there is a throw away line about how he looks less like a pussy.
I’ll never understand why so many are willing to always take management’s side over labor. Like people aren’t ever allowed to be mad about things that upset them and should just shut and do their job.

Last edited by actionjackson29; 08-27-18 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

None of these movies would be made or be worth a shit without the actors, directors and everyone else that puts in the work. Disney, as a corporation, is simply the moneybags to fund the operation. Goes to show how some with money think that their decisions are the best ones, when it turns out quite often that they are not.
Old 08-26-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Gunn was an executive producer on Avengers 3, and since they were shot at the same time, he'll retain his exec producer credit for the next one as well. They may as well just at least use his scrip for the next GotG, as whatever they do, his name's gonna have to be in the credits regardless.
Old 08-26-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Disney is the boss in this scenario and can do whatever the fuck they want to do, whether they knew these posts or his comments existed or not... even if they turned a blind eye because they thought they could get away with it. My guess is that they were somewhat aware and since life was much different in regards to social justice warriors a mere 5 years ago it wasn't deemed such a big deal. But guess what, it now is, and Disney has the right to clean up their own backyard. Fuck Bautista and his constant bitching if he simply can't see that. I'd love to see Disney say fuck off, and when Drax returns from the ashes he is played by John Cena, or Mamoa, or The Rock, or The Mountain, or... or... or... and there is a throw away line about how he looks less like a pussy.
Doc, I’m usually down with you, but you missed the mark here.

Yes, Disney is the boss and can do what they want. But this ultimately isn’t about a company; it’s about the decisions the individuals in the company are making.

Your comment about “because they could get away with it” implies Gunn was guilty of committing some crime. That is the mentality that is the problem.

Dave Bautista is trying to get fired. He had already said he wants out. He is contractually obligated to be in the film, unless Disney lets him out. However, he is also the only one who is continuing to stand up against this bullshit. The bullshit isn’t that Gunn was fired for something he said (he wasn’t, or that would have happened years ago); the bullshit is that he was fired because some political extremist troll successfully executed a social media character assassination simply because “he could” and Disney enabled it. He basically just Russia-hacked (social engineered) Disney and they rolled right over and let him do it. Whoever the person is who pulled the trigger at Disney is too chickenshit to admit it and is doubling-down.

#IAmGunn
Old 08-26-18, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Can somebody sum it up for me? Who’s directing? Who’s in it and when coming out? Thanks.
Old 08-26-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Can somebody sum it up for me? Who’s directing? Who’s in it and when coming out? Thanks.

N/A on all counts.
Old 08-26-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Don't know. Maybe Taika Waititi
Everyone except possibly Bautista if he gets his wish to be fired.
Don't know. Officially on hold now.
Old 08-26-18, 09:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

What a cluster fuck. This is the fun franchise. What’s with all these issues? And what’s Bautista got more important than this? Do we even know timeline compared to IW?
Old 08-27-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Doc, I’m usually down with you, but you missed the mark here.

Yes, Disney is the boss and can do what they want. But this ultimately isn’t about a company; it’s about the decisions the individuals in the company are making.

Your comment about “because they could get away with it” implies Gunn was guilty of committing some crime. That is the mentality that is the problem.

Dave Bautista is trying to get fired. He had already said he wants out. He is contractually obligated to be in the film, unless Disney lets him out. However, he is also the only one who is continuing to stand up against this bullshit. The bullshit isn’t that Gunn was fired for something he said (he wasn’t, or that would have happened years ago); the bullshit is that he was fired because some political extremist troll successfully executed a social media character assassination simply because “he could” and Disney enabled it. He basically just Russia-hacked (social engineered) Disney and they rolled right over and let him do it. Whoever the person is who pulled the trigger at Disney is too chickenshit to admit it and is doubling-down.

#IAmGunn
So if Gunn had never been dumb enough to post those things, or take those pictures, he'd have the job today and there would be no pre-production drama on Guardians 3.

No one put a gun to his head and made him do that stuff. He put stuff out there KNOWING that a lot of people would be either disgusted or outraged by it. That was his intent. He was looking for attention.

Well, guess what? He got it.

So fucking what if the person who brought that stuff up to widespread attention (which those posts and pictures had never gotten before) was a despicable human being? He didn't make that shit up. Gunn did all of that intentionally. Willingly.

You and several others are 100% focused on the person who delivered the message rather than truly understanding where that information put Disney - backed into a corner. They are a FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY. The kind of stuff Gunn posted is 110% unacceptable to a huge percentage of parents. That makes for a bad PR situation for Disney, but you either don't get that or don't care. You're so focused on the scumbag who delivered the message that you are ignoring or disregarding the consequences for Disney for just continuing on as if nothing happened. And you're completely giving Gunn a pass for being a total moron for posting that stuff in the first place. There are consequences for your actions, and Gunn is now facing the consequences. Which, with the interest of other studios who are not 100% known for Family Entertainment, don't look all that bad beyond losing one directing gig.

As I've noted before, before the pictures I would have considered rehiring Gunn. After the pictures? I don't see a way to sell it to parents as the appropriate decision. Truth be told, they probably shouldn't have hired him in the first place if they thought that those comments becoming widespread public knowledge would be an issue. Nothing stays hidden for long in the internet age.

No one looks good in all this. No one. Not Gunn, not Disney, and not that scumbag who went after Gunn. That's the reality.
Old 08-27-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
So if Gunn had never been dumb enough to post those things, or take those pictures, he'd have the job today and there would be no pre-production drama on Guardians 3...
And if he had never been the person that had that particular sensibility and sense of humor, that he also brought to his films at the time, he may have never been hired for the first GotG films.

And if the right-wing trolls hadn't resurrected those posts and tried to construct a "controversy" around them, those posts could've sat there for decades without anyone making a peep about them.
Old 08-27-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Exactly, Jay G.

As far as Gunn, he accepted full responsibility for the posts after he was fired. Disney had every right to fire him, but to me, it was a stupid decision to do so.

As far as plugging in any old meathead for Bautista, maybe it could work, but I don't see it, the guy is great in the role.
Old 08-27-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
And if he had never been the person that had that particular sensibility and sense of humor, that he also brought to his films at the time, he may have never been hired for the first GotG films.

And if the right-wing trolls hadn't resurrected those posts and tried to construct a "controversy" around them, those posts could've sat there for decades without anyone making a peep about them.
There are people here that are excusing what Gunn posted, as if it's no big deal. What he posted was incredibly stupid for someone who wants a job in the spotlight.

You can focus on who brought those posts to light, but he's the one gave those, "Right wing trolls," the ammunition they needed to take him down. He armed them.
Old 08-27-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

There are people here that are excusing what Gunn posted, as if it's no big deal. What he posted was incredibly stupid for someone who wants a job in the spotlight.

You can focus on who brought those posts to light, but he's the one gave those, "Right wing trolls," the ammunition they needed to take him down. He armed them.
My problem is that his accountability is held at a higher standard than that of the sitting POTUS.
Old 08-27-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are people here that are excusing what Gunn posted, as if it's no big deal...
Because, to them, it's not. Personally, I don't really care about the tweets. Were they offensive? Sure, but they were jokes. I don't take them personally, and I don't see them as anything but poor attempts at humor.

Now, I can see how others may be offended, but that's where the amount of time that has passed comes into play. Why should anyone now be offended by what someone said over half a decade ago, and why shouldn't the fact that he stopped and has improved his behavior since then be a factor?

What he posted was incredibly stupid for someone who wants a job in the spotlight...
Not for the jobs he was being hired for at the time. Do you think the creator of Lollipop Chainsaw was losing jobs based on his blog posts/tweets at the time? They certainly didn't stop Marvel from hiring him, and it's not like tweets and blog posts are hard to discover.

You can focus on who brought those posts to light, but he's the one gave those, "Right wing trolls," the ammunition they needed to take him down...
So everyone has to act 100% perfect 100% of the time, or they deserve to have their past dredged up for character assassination by political trolls?

And what's with putting "Right wing trolls" in quotes? Are you attempting to apologize for Mike Cernovich and his cronies again? Mike Cernovich isn't a right-wing troll?

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-27-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 09:34 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The outrage here over jokes about pedophilia compared to actual pedophiles in the Catholic church is pretty interesting.
Old 08-27-18, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know your second paragraph isn't so far off from "She shouldn't have been wearing that outfit/walking in that neighborhood" type arguments, right?

Also, the fact that you put right wing trolls in quotes is telling. Maybe you really didn't know about Cernovich before this, but I don't think you can honestly claim that now - unless you just don't want to know about him. Enjoy your next alt-right rally, I guess.

Last edited by GhostLee; 08-27-18 at 02:05 PM. Reason: left word out
Old 08-27-18, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by GhostLee
You know your second paragraph isn't so far off from "She shouldn't have been wearing that outfit/walking in that neighborhood" type arguments, right?

Also, the fact that you right wing trolls in quotes is telling. Maybe you really didn't know about Cernovich before this, but I don't think you can honestly claim that now - unless you just don't want to know about him. Enjoy your next alt-right rally, I guess.
I'm pretty sure he's made that argument about his coworkers tits in the Sexual Harassment thread.
Old 08-27-18, 09:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The outrage here over jokes about pedophilia compared to actual pedophiles in the Catholic church is pretty interesting.
Truly amazing, this place.
Old 08-27-18, 09:47 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

For the record, I'm against actual pedophiles in the Catholic church directing the next GotG movie.
Old 08-27-18, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
For the record, I'm against actual pedophiles in the Catholic church directing the next GotG movie.
Finally, a sane voice!
Old 08-27-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GhostLee

Also, the fact that you right wing trolls in quotes is telling. Maybe you really didn't know about Cernovich before this, but I don't think you can honestly claim that now - unless you just don't want to know about him. Enjoy your next alt-right rally, I guess.
You're getting caught up in shooting the messenger. Just because the messenger may be a scumbag doesn't mean the message is invalid. He didn't fake those quotes. Gunn REALLY wrote them.

I don't know Cernovich from Adam. I had never heard of him before this, and I don't give a shit about him. From what everyone's saying he's a piece of crap, so I don't want to know anything more about him. He's not on my radar.

But you're excusing what Gunn wrote because of who brought those posts/tweets to light. Gunn still did some incredibly stupid shit for someone who wants a job in the spotlight. Do you really not get that?
Old 08-27-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you fucking kidding me? I've wanted to practically KILL those fucking bastards in the Catholic Church who raped those kids and those who covered it up for over 15 years! Those sick bastards deserve harsh prison time!

I don't think holding Gunn accountable for some really disgusting, vile, "Jokes," is the same as wishing harsh prison time (if not painful death) for actual pedophiles.
Old 08-27-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know Cernovich from Adam.
You've attempted to make this claim before.

I don't know anything about Cernovich....
I immediately replied with info on him. You... didn't respond, and didn't post anything new on this thread for two weeks.

Would you care to respond now, or do you want to just keep claiming ignorance when anyone catches you trying to apologize for Cernovich and the right-wing trolls?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.