Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This post he made earlier is a good example of this:

While looking for that, I found that he didn't object to calling someone a "far right wing racist, homophobe a-hole" earlier in the thread...

This is the problem, B5Erik is inconsistent and contradictory to the point of being hypocritical in his statements and arguments. He says one thing, then later says the opposite and denies saying the original thing. Thus it's not easy to trust any of his statements or arguments, as he may change them at any point.

And while he may paint his opponents in this thread as being political, he was bringing in political tactics before anyone, such as calling anyone defending Gunn "cult members."

He's not here for a rational discourse, or if he is, he's failing at it horribly.
Exactly. Like so many others complaining about the posts at this site, he loves to play the "do as I say, not as I do" game.

As for there being an issue of politics at this site, when a topic that has no basis in politics is turned into one for absolutely no reason, then I think we all should look into why. But this is clearly not that topic given the obvious political angle that was there right from the start.

It's a possibility. However, it's just speculation and thus I'm not sure how relevant to the discussion it is. Nobody knows the inner workings of Disney, or how exactly this went down. However, what we do know is that Gunn was publicly posting this stuff on Twitter and his blog up until the point he was hired for GOTG. These weren't hidden secrets. Marvel hired him, Disney likely vetted him, and he stopped with the offensive stuff.

Meanwhile, the posts sat there for up to a decade for anyone to discover, yet nobody, aside from some people who almost immediately found and objected to some of the posts back in 2012, found them or at least thought they were worthy of any outcry. Then a troll with a political agenda dug them up and managed to astroturf a controversy that got Disney to fire him within a day. Disney, as a company, acted too rashly, in my opinion.
As a admitted huge fan of Disney, I have see that they are one of the worst when it comes to either looking to squash all concern over their practices, or overreact like they did in this Gun case in order to supposedly save face. They rarely seem to do the right thing. One extreme or the other.
Old 08-28-18, 09:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Again, please stop discussing posters, and take the political discussion to the other thread.
Old 08-28-18, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Again, please stop discussing posters, and take the political discussion to the other thread.
Was in the process of writing that post as you posted yours. Timing worked against me.

This recent turn seems like a perfect time for a one of the many thread splits I've seen done so many times before. The original intent of the thread can resume once Disney has figured out what they will do withe the movie long term.
Old 08-28-18, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Simpler times, eh.
Didn't you move to the States? Drop that Canadian accent already!
Old 08-28-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
And seriously, I'll a political side track over the MRA bullshit any day.
Old 08-28-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
And seriously, I'll a political side track over the MRA bullshit any day.
Huh? What does this have to do with my joke to Dan?
Old 08-28-18, 09:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Once a Canuck, always a Canuck, ya hoser!
Old 08-28-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? What does this have to do with my joke to Dan?
From what I saw, that came from this comment. A comment that I see as part of the MRA folks going on about movies like Ghostbusters.

I miss the days where we could peacefully discuss how women can't lift 40 pound proton packs.
That stuff makes many of the Movie forum topics, and many in the TV forum as well, something I just avoid. As I agreed, politics can sometimes go too far, but I find the MRA stuff far worse and just avoid the discussion and MRA lunatics themselves.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-28-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
From what I saw, that came from this comment. A comment that I see as part of the MRA folks going on about movies like Ghostbusters.

That stuff makes many of the Movie forum topics, and many in the TV forum as well, something I just avoid. As I agreed, politics can sometimes go too far, but I find the MRA stuff far worse and just avoid the discussion and MRA lunatics themselves.
Weird choice to quote a post joking about Canada then. And no, it's not a reference to anything MRA related, but a reference to another B5Erik rant.
Old 08-28-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

While looking for that, I found that he didn't object to calling someone a "far right wing racist, homophobe a-hole" earlier in the thread...
I have no problem with one of the subjects of the story being labeled as such, but I do believe that making similar comments about other board members is generally out of bounds.

This topic is not black and white, and my feelings about it are not rigid and inflexible. I think Disney overreacted and acted in haste, but I think what Gunn posted was stupid, offensive, and disturbing. Furthering the situation is the fact that the person who brought those posts to light is a less than reputable person.

Now, when you look at that taking one side over the other is difficult unless you've got a particular political or social bias that guides your opinion in this matter.

It's easy to see how each party is guilty of handling at least part of this badly.

So I understand Disney's point of view. And I agree with it - to a point. Just like I can understand Gunn's point of view and agree with that to a point.

Where I fall on that scale might change slightly, but I'm in the middle on this one, and it's a big gray area. This situation isn't black and white. It's just not.
Old 08-28-18, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I have no problem with one of the subjects of the story being labeled as such, but I do believe that making similar comments about other board members is generally out of bounds.
Good thing that didn't happen in this thread.

This topic is not black and white, and my feelings about it are not rigid and inflexible...
The problem is that your views sometimes seem to change within the same post. You haven't really given a consistent argument. You sometimes seem to concede certain points, only to argue them again later. You argue one thing, and then switch to a contradictory argument later. The only consistent thing is that you're constantly arguing against Gunn, in one way or the other.

Now, when you look at that taking one side over the other is difficult unless you've got a particular political or social bias that guides your opinion in this matter...
I didn't know making tasteless jokes was now a political matter. I personally think I've been arguing without bringing politics into it, except to point out that the hoopla over his posts was specifically a politically motivated hit piece, to help show that any "social" concerns about his posts have really been overblown.

So I understand Disney's point of view. And I agree with it - to a point. Just like I can understand Gunn's point of view and agree with that to a point.
What specifically do you agree with about Gunn's point of view?
Old 08-28-18, 02:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So how about that Groot? Such a silly character, that is. Yep.
Old 08-28-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

I really feel this is just a case where the bad guys just played the game better and won. I like Gunn and think he did a great job on 1 and decent on 2 (can't help but feel that there was a better movie to be made with Kurt Russell on board).
Digging up ancient Tweets is a stupid reason to get someone fired, but Disney isn't just a publicly held super-corporation, it's a publicly held super-corporation that is synonymous with Family Entertainment. If any company should be controversy-averse, it's Disney. I get that and I have to respect that. It's their property and it's exceptionally valuable IP now. I don't think they feel good about it either.
The bad guys won. Sometimes that happens.
Spoiler:

Old 08-28-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
So how about that Groot? Such a silly character, that is. Yep.
And how about the fact that it's gotta be the easiest paycheck any actor's ever gotten? Vin just has to say one line over and over, doesn't even have to do the mo-cap work for it, and cha-CHING!
Old 08-28-18, 03:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Ironically, it's Vin Diesel's least wooden performance.
Old 08-28-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Old 08-28-18, 03:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ironically, it's Vin Diesel's least wooden performance.
Why is that ironic?
Old 08-28-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know making tasteless jokes was now a political matter. I personally think I've been arguing without bringing politics into it, except to point out that the hoopla over his posts was specifically a politically motivated hit piece, to help show that any "social" concerns about his posts have really been overblown.
I don't think the impact of his posts has been overblown. The stuff he posted is completely repugnant and offensive in the worst way to a lot of people. Parents. Disney's biggest group of concern. They couldn't ignore it or soft sell it. They had to do something definitive.

What specifically do you agree with about Gunn's point of view?
That getting fired when he did and how Disney did it wasn't right. Maybe they come to the same decision, but spending more time going over other possible options was called for.
Old 08-28-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the impact of his posts has been overblown. The stuff he posted is completely repugnant and offensive in the worst way to a lot of people. Parents.
Why do you feel you have to speak for "a lot of people"? Do you actually know how anyone besides yourself feels about it?

I was talking about "impact" in more of terms of buzz and media attention. It got a bit right away, he got fired, the firing got attention, and then since then the attention died fast, with any followup articles being about the cast, fan, and celebrity support of Gunn. The additional "reveals" have gotten zero traction.

I think the early buzz was just Cernovich and his allies astroturfing it. Disney fired Gunn before they could get an idea of the actual general public interest/outrage, which was minimal.

[I agree with Gunn's POV that] getting fired when he did and how Disney did it wasn't right. Maybe they come to the same decision, but spending more time going over other possible options was called for.
How do you know that's Gunn's point of view? That's more of a fan argument. Gunn hasn't really said anything about it.

How about Gunn's point that these were a long time ago, and he's a changed person, and hasn't done anything like that in years? Isn't the fact that the posts were from so long ago, and don't reflect his current behavior, more important? Are we never to forgive people for their past mistakes?
Old 08-28-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do you feel you have to speak for "a lot of people"? Do you actually know how anyone besides yourself feels about it?

I was talking about "impact" in more of terms of buzz and media attention. It got a bit right away, he got fired, the firing got attention, and then since then the attention died fast, with any followup articles being about the cast, fan, and celebrity support of Gunn. The additional "reveals" have gotten zero traction.

I think the early buzz was just Cernovich and his allies astroturfing it. Disney fired Gunn before they could get an idea of the actual general public interest/outrage, which was minimal.

How do you know that's Gunn's point of view? That's more of a fan argument. Gunn hasn't really said anything about it.

How about Gunn's point that these were a long time ago, and he's a changed person, and hasn't done anything like that in years? Isn't the fact that the posts were from so long ago, and don't reflect his current behavior, more important? Are we never to forgive people for their past mistakes?
Fuck. I give up. You don't want to find common ground. You want to attack and argue and belittle.

Whatever. I don't care. You win. Congrats!
Old 08-28-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And how about the fact that it's gotta be the easiest paycheck any actor's ever gotten? Vin just has to say one line over and over... and cha-CHING!
Clearly, you don't speak Groot. Perhaps it is time to go back to school and take that elective course you overlooked before.
Old 08-28-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck. I give up. You don't want to find common ground. You want to attack and argue and belittle..
Where did I attack or belittle in that post?

I'm fine with your assertion the Disney should've waited. But based on your previous statements, based on the photos of the themed party, you don't think he should get his job back.

Personally, I don't think the photos or tweets are that bad, and I also factor in how long ago there were. I don't think there's a definitive answer for what the "right" move from Disney's perspective would've been; there's a lot of factors, and saying that they "had no choice" but to fire him doesn't make it true. All we can really say for sure is what we'd personally prefer to have happened, and what we'd like to still happen.
Old 08-28-18, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Can the James Gunn talk move here?

James Gunn Fired by Disney: The Political Thread
Old 08-28-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did I attack or belittle in that post?
Ok, argue, parse, lecture, condescend, etc.

You are clearly from a different generation. In my day ( ) we'd beat the crap out of the kind of person who thought rape and pedophilia were funny. I still find those comments to be repugnant, and I'm damned sure you'd find that most people my age or older feel the same way.
Old 08-28-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Can the James Gunn talk move here?

James Gunn Fired by Disney: The Political Thread
Is there really anything else to talk about with this movie right now?

Maybe when they hire a new director we can discuss that. Then we can discuss how he's not James Gunn so the movie will now suck. (Kind of like the Edgar Wright Ant-Man discussion.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.