Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Old 08-27-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 338 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I at least doubt Disney would make this same mistake again (not doing their homework on who was doing the reporting) before making such a huge, irreversible decision. Had they just took the "things are hold hold while we investigate" route this probably could have all been resolved.
I mean these are some tweets that were in poor taste.

It's not like Singer being fired from the Queen/Freddie Mercury pic for "unexplained absences" when there was a sexual assault lawsuit being made against him which was much worse than some tweets.

The other director under fire wasn't on any projects that I'm aware of, but I assume Ratner is unhireable at this point, too.
Old 08-27-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I mean these are some tweets that were in poor taste.
Tweets that would have remained unseen by almost all GotG/Marvel/Disney fans if not for some alt-right troll and his apologists.
Old 08-27-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 131 Posts

Tweets that would have remained unseen by almost all GotG/Marvel/Disney fans if not for some alt-right troll and his apologists.
You do know what that sounds like, right?

"And I'd have gotten away with it, too, if not for you meddling kids!!"

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-27-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 546 Likes on 354 Posts

All Disney had to say was “we are aware of statements James Gunn has made in the past but we are confident that is not the man he is today. His cast and crew stand behind him and these allegations are nothing more than an attempt by fringe elements to try Mr. Gunn in the court of public opinion and damage both his reputation and this company. We have nothing further to say in response to these efforts.”

Done. And their box office would be absolutely fine.
Old 08-27-18, 07:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

maybe ... GASP... once a spotlight was place on it, they actually had a problem with what he posted?
Old 08-27-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
maybe ... GASP... once a spotlight was place on it, they actually had a problem with what he posted?
That's just crazy talk.
Old 08-27-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel like this was mentioned often before, including direct from some voice actors and celebrities that were against Disney's actions, but I feel like if Disney truly had a problem with the content then they would have disassociated themselves with anyone who's also had a past of inappropriate jokes, prior misbehaviors, or other scandal.

But like any large corporation, I think they only care about what the public and media are paying attention. Not that I blame them for believing their bottom line was at stake.
Old 08-27-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts

Okay, but why now and not when he first apologized for it back when they first hired him? Especially when you consider how removed from it he is now compared to back then.
Old 08-27-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Since when am I the topic? I don't know why some of you are trying to make this about people who are merely posting comments and opinions ..
When someone makes a bunch of contradictory statements and arguments, one starts to wonder about their true motives.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
But like any large corporation, I think they only care about what the public and media are paying attention. Not that I blame them for believing their bottom line was at stake.
Yeah, it's understandable what Disney did, if unfortunate. They got duped, and the media and public got duped, if only briefly. I'd rather Gunn got the job back, but I don't think that's realistic at this point.
Old 08-27-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
When someone makes a bunch of contradictory statements and arguments, one starts to wonder about their true motives.
Exactly There was sp this very Cernovich like attempt to compare some very old tweets into a scenario where children were in direct danger from Gunn.

Food for thought...

If someone who posted pro pedophile, "Jokes," online and had pictures of themselves at a pedophile themed party on their facebook page and it became public knowledge (news reports online, on TV, in newspapers, etc), would you think Disney should continue to let him work at Disneyland?

It's an extra sensitive issue for Disney because they are a company that caters to kids and families.
Food for thought indeed...
Old 08-27-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly There was sp this very Cernovich like attempt to compare some very old tweets into a scenario where children were in direct danger from Gunn..
He also at one point called Gunn a "ranting sicko" who he would never trust with his kids. He then followed that up with "it's not that I don't want Disney to fix it..." as if he was in favor of Gunn getting his job back.

And then the recent post where he felt he had to put "right wing trolls" in quotes, like it didn't apply to Cernovich, and then when pressed about it, first tried to claim no knowledge of Cernovich, even though he's been discussed many, many, many times in this thread, even in posts in direct response to his previous claims of ignorance. He then tried to say he was upset more about the "general" use of the term, even though it was clearly targeted at Cernovich and others of his ilk.

And he wonders why we don't find him trustworthy.
Old 08-27-18, 09:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Okay, but why now and not when he first apologized for it back when they first hired him? Especially when you consider how removed from it he is now compared to back then.
I imagine there is a hierarchy that exists within Disney, just like any other company... that the upper echelon is not involved in the "nitty gritty" of things... so someone under them, but still obviously important vetted Gunn for the job, and didn't think his history was that bad because of a combination of it being a different climate in 2014 and perhaps some of their own beliefs. Then when the spotlight was turned on, the upper level muckity mucks were forced to get involved due to the bad publicity and put the hammer down.
Old 08-27-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,130 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The outrage here over jokes about pedophilia compared to actual pedophiles in the Catholic church is pretty interesting.
I know. Iím shocked, shocked, that thereís not a thread condemning Pedophiles on the Catholic Church in MovieTalk.
Old 08-27-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Holy fuck you people are paranoid. Motives? Agendas? Who the fuck cares what someone on this message board thinks? Seriously, who cares? I mean, how can anyone here have any motives or agendas - are ANY of us going to have ANY impact on this situation? Hell no! Get over it and get over yourselves already.

It really is pathetic that there is a group of far left assholes here who attack, attack, attack any time someone has a less than liberal opinion. Fuck, this ISN'T the political talk board. If you want to talk politics, do it there for God's sake. Me? I'm fucking SICK of politics. They're ALL a bunch of corrupt assholes. Every last one of them to one degree or another.

I had never even heard of Cernovich, and have never read any of his posts other than what's been reposted here, and yet some people are accusing me of being some big stealth supporter of his. Seriously, I have no idea where he comes from, how he got to be well known, or anything else about him. He sounds like a piece of crap human being, and calling him a human being is likely a stretch - and yet no matter how much I insult him, in an honest, heartfelt way, I've got assholes here who accuse me of being some, "Alt-Right Cernovich supporter."
What the fuck??? Not everything is about politics, people. Not everyone has a political motive. Like I said, I'm sick of politics, politicians, and political junkies who are intolerant of views from the other side. EITHER side.

Fuck, this board used to be one of the very best on the internet. Now? It really sucks some of the time. There is a group of left leaning people who are not tolerant of views other than their own. They attack people with differing opinions, even if the differing opinions are middle of the road centrist stuff. Insults against the character of other board members has become standard operating procedure for these people. (Pull out that racist card again, boys, or is it the homophobe or misogynist card this week?)

And when you have Mods piling on, too? That's really bad. This isn't what this board used to be about. No wonder so many great contributors from the past split.
Old 08-27-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,130 Likes on 764 Posts

^ I’ve noticed this more and more lately too and it’s an ugly trend for this forum.
Old 08-27-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who the fuck cares what someone on this message board thinks?
Of course this doesn't apply to you, right? Because you sure never fail to make it back to call out everybody else as being all wrong about this topic.

It really is pathetic that there is a group of far left assholes here who attack, attack, attack any time someone has a less than liberal opinion.
But let's not make this political.

You may want to think about how you decided these people were "far left" before you go off again about how people are getting labeled around here.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-28-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ I’ve noticed this more and more lately too and it’s an ugly trend for this forum.
You're not the only one who has noticed. I got a PM recently, and it really nailed what's going on here. I'll re-post it here (with the one name referenced redacted) because it's so spot on...

Hey, what you are experiencing in the Gunn thread is a spill off of what is normal behavior in the politics subforum, and this thread is completely driven by politics so they can't see straight or have a rational discussion without making it personal. A right wing blog uncovered the Gunn posts, so they must attack anyone who accepts what Disney has done regarding firing Gunn.

And yes, the mods pile on and allow personal attacks in the politics forum. Most of us that have middle of the road or conservative views have left. ******* is among the worst of them, but there are several that just attack the poster.
Things have really gotten out of hand. Politics should be a minimal part of the non Political boards, but we're seeing personal attacks - attacking the personal character of board members - more and more often.

Now, in my rant above I'm guilty of a little namecalling, but I'm pissed and I'm fed up with all the bullshit. I don't know what it's going to take to fix the problems on this board, but something needs to be done or this place will continue to shrink until there are only a handful of left leaning people who all share the same opinions. Frankly, I'd hate to see that happen as this used to be such a great board - and still is from time to time.
Old 08-27-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course this doesn;t apply to you, right? Because you sure never fail to make it back to call out everybosy else as beiing all wrong about this topic.
Funny thing, I've said that everyone involved in this case has handled it badly. No one looks good - but that's not enough for some people. Why is that?

I never said that everybody else was, "All wrong," about this topic, just that it isn't the cut and dried, "Disney is evil," situation that some people are making it out to be.

But let's not make this political.

You may want to think aobut how you decided these people were far left before you go off again aobut how people are getting labeled around here.
I'm sorry, when people start attacking and calling others, "Alt-right," supporters of Cernovich (when they clearly aren't), I'm not sure what point of view they COULD be coming from other than the left.

I never said that Gunn was a bad person. I did question his personality (I always found his penchant for penis and sex jokes to be a bit juvenile), and I did question his judgment, but not his character.

I DID say that Disney handled this poorly, but that wasn't enough for some people. I suppose it's considered Alt-Right or worse to show empathy and understanding for their position as a family entertainment company when this stuff came out. That's all I, and a few others, did to draw the ire of a handful of Gunn supporters.

Perhaps you should read some of the posts above and take them to heart. This isn't the DVDTalk that it used to be, and a lot of people are getting sick of it.
Old 08-28-18, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I miss the days where we could peacefully discuss how women can't lift 40 pound proton packs.

For what it's worth, as much as I disagree with a lot of what B5Erik says about numerous topics, I agree with him here regarding the political insults. He's acknowledged that while the person responsible for digging up tweets is a shitty person, his responses here have been focused on the content of the tweets and other aspects of Gunn's humor which can be made independently of how the messages turned up. I think that's perfectly fine and don't think the ensuing accusations are fair.

Something tells me this thread is due for a lock...

I never said that Gunn was a bad person. I did question his personality (I always found his penchant for penis and sex jokes to be a bit juvenile), and I did question his judgment, but not his character.
That said, to be fair I felt like you practically insinuated that Gunn must be a pedophile himself and that people shouldn't trust children around him. Or that a few tame jokes in Guardians equated to an obsession. I think that's certainly judging his character.

Last edited by fumanstan; 08-28-18 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 03:42 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Fuck, this board used to be one of the very best on the internet. Now? It really sucks some of the time. There is a group of left leaning people who are not tolerant of views other than their own. They attack people with differing opinions, even if the differing opinions are middle of the road centrist stuff. Insults against the character of other board members has become standard operating procedure for these people. (Pull out that racist card again, boys, or is it the homophobe or misogynist card this week?)

And when you have Mods piling on, too? That's really bad. This isn't what this board used to be about. No wonder so many great contributors from the past split.
Old 08-28-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That said, to be fair I felt like you practically insinuated that Gunn must be a pedophile himself and that people shouldn't trust children around him. Or that a few tame jokes in Guardians equated to an obsession. I think that's certainly judging his character.
This post he made earlier is a good example of this:
Wait, so you're calling the people who went after him, "Nutjobs," but Gunn, who posted dozens of vile, disturbing, disgusting, offensive tweets and took part in a party that was rather twisted (At best - we're going to attack pedophiles by looking like we're celebrating them??) and posted photos of said party isn't a nutjob? I'm sorry, but that stuff he's posted were the postings of a raving nutjob. Someone with serious, SERIOUS issues. And that's being kind.

Even with what everyone has said about him really being a good guy I would never, ever let him be alone with my kid if my kid were still 8 or 10 or 12 years old. The guy is obsessed with sex, especially sex with kids. Was it all a put on, or is there some grain of truth to it? I don't know. No one knows other than James Gunn.
While looking for that, I found that he didn't object to calling someone a "far right wing racist, homophobe a-hole" earlier in the thread...
...a far right wing racist, homophobe a-hole...
This is the problem, B5Erik is inconsistent and contradictory to the point of being hypocritical in his statements and arguments. He says one thing, then later says the opposite and denies saying the original thing. Thus it's not easy to trust any of his statements or arguments, as he may change them at any point.

And while he may paint his opponents in this thread as being political, he was bringing in political tactics before anyone, such as calling anyone defending Gunn "cult members."
James Gunn's fans are like cult members, apparently. Do not question the cult leader or any of his choices...
He's not here for a rational discourse, or if he is, he's failing at it horribly.

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-28-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:54 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 466 Posts

I miss the days where we could peacefully discuss how women can't lift 40 pound proton packs.
Simpler times, eh.
Old 08-28-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 102 Posts

I imagine there is a hierarchy that exists within Disney, just like any other company... that the upper echelon is not involved in the "nitty gritty" of things... so someone under them, but still obviously important vetted Gunn for the job, and didn't think his history was that bad because of a combination of it being a different climate in 2014 and perhaps some of their own beliefs. Then when the spotlight was turned on, the upper level muckity mucks were forced to get involved due to the bad publicity and put the hammer down.
I have been saying this all along and it has been ignored.
Old 08-28-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I have been saying this all along and it has been ignored.
It's a possibility. However, it's just speculation and thus I'm not sure how relevant to the discussion it is. Nobody knows the inner workings of Disney, or how exactly this went down. However, what we do know is that Gunn was publicly posting this stuff on Twitter and his blog up until the point he was hired for GOTG. These weren't hidden secrets. Marvel hired him, Disney likely vetted him, and he stopped with the offensive stuff.

Meanwhile, the posts sat there for up to a decade for anyone to discover, yet nobody, aside from some people who almost immediately found and objected to some of the posts back in 2012, found them or at least thought they were worthy of any outcry. Then a troll with a political agenda dug them up and managed to astroturf a controversy that got Disney to fire him within a day. Disney, as a company, acted too rashly, in my opinion.
Old 08-28-18, 10:01 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Good morning! We do have a political thread for this, use it for the political side of the discussion please. Additionally, another reminder to make your posts about the issues, not about the posters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.