Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You've attempted to make this claim before.
Not a claim, a fact. And FUCK YOU for insinuating that I'm lying.

I immediately replied with info on him. You... didn't respond, and didn't post anything new on this thread for two weeks.

Would you care to respond now, or do you want to just keep claiming ignorance when anyone catches you trying to apologize for Cernovich and the right-wing trolls?
I'm not apologizing for Cernovich. I don't have time to do research on a piece of crap human being. I'm taking your word for it that he's a scumbag.

See, that's the difference. I'm accepting your word at face value as factually accurate, but you're calling me a liar.

But just because he's a piece of crap scumbag doesn't mean that Gunn didn't post those things. Excusing Gunn because you hate the guy who brought those posts to widespread public knowledge is wrong. You can't excuse bad behavior just because someone else behaves worse.
Old 08-27-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The outrage here over jokes about pedophilia compared to actual pedophiles in the Catholic church is pretty interesting.
That's because the Catholic church didn't cheat the fan boys out of a movie they wanted to see.
Old 08-27-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Not a claim, a fact. And FUCK YOU for insinuating that I'm lying.
If you've been actually participating in this thread and reading all posts, you are lying when you say you know nothing about Cernovich.

I'm not apologizing for Cernovich. I don't have time to do research on a piece of crap human being. I'm taking your word for it that he's a scumbag.
So why did you put "right wing trolls" in quotes? If you're taking me at my word, you shouldn't have any objection to that term being used.

But just because he's a piece of crap scumbag doesn't mean that Gunn didn't post those things. Excusing Gunn because you hate the guy who brought those posts...
I'm not excusing Gunn because I don't like Cernovich. But Cernovich is relevant because without him, there'd be no issue with Gunn's posts, because there hadn't been any issues with his posts for the over a half decade they existed. It's a fake controversy. The posts weren't resurfaced for any legitimate concerns about their content, but because some people were attempting to character assassinate someone they viewed as a political rival.

Gunn's posts were a long, long time ago and don't reflect the man now, or how he's ever behaved while working at Marvel. He shouldn't be condemned for eternity for some past jokes, no matter how in poor taste they were.
Old 08-27-18, 10:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The problem here is selective enforcement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ar...ed_celebrities

Many of these celebrities have worked with Disney as performers in children's movies since this film came out.
Old 08-27-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
The problem here is selective enforcement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ar...ed_celebrities

Many of these celebrities have worked with Disney as performers in children's movies since this film came out.
True, the hypocrisy on Disney's part is strong. It's clear Disney doesn't care about what creatives that work with them do otherwise, as long as it doesn't create a PR incident from them.

Disney got duped into thinking Gunn's tweets were an actual PR incident, and rashly fired him before to truth about the "controversy" and who was behind it was revealed, and the public interest quickly dissipated. The party photos have gained zero traction since their release, it seems that both the press and the general public don't care anymore.
Old 08-27-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The outrage here over jokes about pedophilia compared to actual pedophiles in the Catholic church is pretty interesting.
And where is that posted in this thread? That is quite a stretch. Wow.
Old 08-27-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question...sorry, I'm at work and can't read the entire thread now. Was there a chance that Gunn would be hired back if it was just the tweets? Was there a possibility of Disney backing down when the cast came to support him? Or were the pictures at that party the nail in the coffin?
Old 08-27-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Truly amazing, this place.
Yeah, this whole place is really starting to exhaust me at times (and at this point I'm not sure if I mean the forum, the country or both!)
Old 08-27-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
Quick question...sorry, I'm at work and can't read the entire thread now. Was there a chance that Gunn would be hired back if it was just the tweets? Was there a possibility of Disney backing down when the cast came to support him? Or were the pictures at that party the nail in the coffin?
I don't think there was ever a time that he could be rehired. It would set an even worse precedent for the industry. IMO, Disney fucked up by impulsively making a decision, but there's no way they can reneg without affecting the entire industry. They have to stick to their decision or else it puts not only themselves, but other studios in a powerless position.
Old 08-27-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think other studios will learn from Disney's mistake if something similar happens to a director of one of their big projects?
Old 08-27-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Do you think other studios will learn from Disney's mistake if something similar happens to a director of one of their big projects?
Other studios should do their due diligence and fully investigate their employees. There is no way Disney top brass knew about or read those tweets until they were exposed recently. Lower level maybe, not the top. Everyone is saying oh they knew about it, doubtful. As I mentioned before no one will really know who knew what.
Old 08-27-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I don't think there was ever a time that he could be rehired. It would set an even worse precedent for the industry. IMO, Disney fucked up by impulsively making a decision, but there's no way they can reneg without affecting the entire industry. They have to stick to their decision or else it puts not only themselves, but other studios in a powerless position.
Thanks. This makes sense, although it sucks. If they had taken time to do an investigation instead of this knee-jerk reaction, would the pics have done him in? What do you think?
Old 08-27-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
Thanks. This makes sense, although it sucks. If they had taken time to do an investigation instead of this knee-jerk reaction, would the pics have done him in? What do you think?
To me, there should have been an investigation and a wait and see. We're talking about someone that has made them millions and was well liked by everyone. I really don't think there'd be a lot of blowback by it until someone like the PTC started a boycott. It just seemed rather knee jerk of a decision without seeing if there were going to be any consequences.
Old 08-27-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

To me, there should have been an investigation and a wait and see. We're talking about someone that has made them millions and was well liked by everyone. I really don't think there'd be a lot of blowback by it until someone like the PTC started a boycott. It just seemed rather knee jerk of a decision without seeing if there were going to be any consequences.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I don't think this is something that Disney should have just completely ignored, but they should have suspended things for a week or two, sat down with Gunn to talk through the issue and figure out the right path forward. This was always just a public relations concern for Disney and it seems like it could have just as easily been resolved with a joint statement from Disney and Gunn that condemned his former behavior and emphasized Disney supports the character he has demonstrated being under their employ as long as it doesn't revert in any way.
Old 08-27-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I agree. Disney blew this one, but it's too late for them to reverse their decision without causing a bunch of new problems, as you already mentioned.
Old 08-27-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you've been actually participating in this thread and reading all posts, you are lying when you say you know nothing about Cernovich.
What do I know about him? That he's an ethically challenged, far right, politically motivated scumbag?

Yeah, that's about it. So how am I lying?

So why did you put "right wing trolls" in quotes? If you're taking me at my word, you shouldn't have any objection to that term being used.
I don't have a problem calling him that, per se, but I do have a problem with that term in general as I don't see people like you calling out left wing trolls (and they do exist).
Old 08-27-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do I know about him? That he's an ethically challenged, far right, politically motivated scumbag?
Do you need anything more to condemn him? Isn't this even small amount of knowledge more than the "nothing" you claimed repeatedly in this thread?

I don't have a problem calling him that, per se, but I do have a problem with that term in general as I don't see people like you calling out left wing trolls (and they do exist).
This is a false equivalence. We're talking about right-wing trolls in this thread because they're the ones involved in this. If you have an example of left-wing trolls doing the same thing to someone else, I'll condemn them too, but it's probably not on-topic for this thread.

We are talking about specific, known, right-wing trolls in this thread, and their on-topic actions. Your reluctance to label them as such speaks far more about your true motivations than it does anyone else's.
Old 08-27-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But you're excusing what Gunn wrote because of who brought those posts/tweets to light. Gunn still did some incredibly stupid shit for someone who wants a job in the spotlight. Do you really not get that?
Looks like it has been (indirectly) confirmed that is indeed about ignoring what was done to Gunn due to like minded alt-right beliefs.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-27-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, I agree. Disney blew this one, but it's too late for them to reverse their decision without causing a bunch of new problems, as you already mentioned.

I at least doubt Disney would make this same mistake again (not doing their homework on who was doing the reporting) before making such a huge, irreversible decision. Had they just took the "things are hold hold while we investigate" route this probably could have all been resolved.
Old 08-27-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you need anything more to condemn him? Isn't this even small amount of knowledge more than the "nothing" you claimed repeatedly in this thread?

This is a false equivalence. We're talking about right-wing trolls in this thread because they're the ones involved in this. If you have an example of left-wing trolls doing the same thing to someone else, I'll condemn them too, but it's probably not on-topic for this thread.

We are talking about specific, known, right-wing trolls in this thread, and their on-topic actions. Your reluctance to label them as such speaks far more about your true motivations than it does anyone else's.
What drugs are you on?

I have no motivations in this. I have no political agenda. You clearly do as you are making this all about politics, where I am coming at it from a personal responsibility and public relations angle. You don't seem to get that.
Old 08-27-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Looks like it has been (indrectly) confirmed that is indeed about ignoring what was done to Gunn due to like minded alt-right beliefs.
More people on drugs.

I'm a moderate. I voted for Johnson in the last two Presidential elections.

But you go on trying to make this political when the issues are really personal responsibility and public relations.
Old 08-27-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But you go on trying to make this political when the issues are really personal responsibility and public relations.
Right...

If you want to deflect people away from your own posts and posting history, you'rd going to have to come up with something better than accusing people of being on drugs.
Old 08-27-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right...

If you want to deflect people away from your own posts and posting history, you'rd going to have to come up with something better than accusing people of being on drugs.
Since when am I the topic? Sounds to me like you're trying to deflect from the real topic. Remember, I didn't post those things, Gunn did. I didn't make them public, the scumbag did, and I didn't fire Gunn, Disney did.

I don't know why some of you are trying to make this about people who are merely posting comments and opinions rather than the subject at hand.
Old 08-27-18, 03:50 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Since this thread no longer has anything to do with GotG, can we rename it to:

Alt-Right Trolls (D: CERNOVICH!!!!!) - No quotation marks allowed
Old 08-27-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right...

Since when am I the topic? Sounds to me like you're trying to deflect from the real topic. Remember, I didn't post those things, Gunn did. I didn't make them public, the scumbag did, and I didn't fire Gunn, Disney did.

I don't know why some of you are trying to make this about people who are merely posting comments and opinions rather than about the subject at hand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.