Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Just cancel it already.
Old 08-25-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
Just cancel it already.
They're not going to do that, it's one of Marvel's most popular franchises.
Old 08-25-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
And yet it won't make any bit of a difference. Can't see Disney, who has already doubled down, suddenly decide to reverse course.

And in case I hadn't already said this, all sides in this saga are a bunch of d-bags. Cernovich (who I had never heard of before this), Gunn and Disney.
Agree.
Old 08-25-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I only think Cernovich (and anyone else who digs up dirt with the motive to hurt individuals like that) is a d-bag. I don't think Gunn is or Disney, even as someone that defends Gunn and wishes Disney hired him back.
Old 08-25-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

To each their own. Agree to disagree. Takes all kinds.
Old 08-25-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Reports are out that Disney has told everyone working on pre-production to get other jobs. Sounds like they may push this back.
I wonder if Disney plans to lay low for a while, let the shit off after hitting the fan and then re-start production. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did end up hiring Gunn back at that point.

And I agree with TheMovieman. Everyone is a douche in this scenario.
Old 08-25-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Disney knows they fucked up, but re-hiring Gunn would be a public showing of weakness and poor, rash decision-making - which this was - but they won't go back because of those reasons.

My guess is they hire someone within the Marvel family, but either way it's a job very few would want because it's coming with a ton of baggage.
Old 08-25-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
If they don't go back to Gunn I'd like to see Boots Riley get it if he's interested in bigger budget films. Sorry to Bother You had similar tones to Super in places and Marvel likes to go with indie/smaller directors unless the director ( s ) is already involved in the MCU.
m

Yes!! We need raccoon cock in the next installment!

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I really like Bautista's continued response to all of this.
So far, he seems to be the only one in this whole thing with integrity and willingness to stand up for what is right.

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Disney knows they fucked up, but re-hiring Gunn would be a public showing of weakness and poor, rash decision-making - which this was - but they won't go back because of those reasons.

My guess is they hire someone within the Marvel family, but either way it's a job very few would want because it's coming with a ton of baggage.
^And that is the KEY reason Disney leadership needs to be cleaned out. This era of doubling-down and staying the course for the sake of personal pride or ego while the organization-be-damned (company, country, or otherwise) has got to come to an end. It is ruining our world. I have far more respect for a leader who can admit a mistake, fix it, and learn from it.

#IAmGunn
Old 08-25-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
To each their own. Agree to disagree. Takes all kinds.
Obviously.
Old 08-25-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did anyone read about the blog post that Gunn made about "beating up his midget girlfriend"? Yeah, it was just a joke, but I don't see how people can still say Disney is in the wrong when more and more disturbing stuff keeps coming out from him. Oh, that's right...it's the alt-right's fault.
Old 08-25-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did anyone read about the blog post that Gunn made about "beating up his midget girlfriend"? Yeah, it was just a joke, but I don't see how people can still say Disney is in the wrong when more and more disturbing stuff keeps coming out from him. Oh, that's right...it's the alt-right's fault.
They had to know all this before they hired him and they wouldn’t have fired him if it didn’t come out like this.
Old 08-25-18, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you've sold me. Mikey and his pals are the ones who'll save America, by gum!

In all seriousness, though, defending or excusing those turds is worse than deplorable.
Old 08-25-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
They had to know all this before they hired him and they wouldn’t have fired him if it didn’t come out like this.
Yeah, I mean they were blog posts on his person website. They weren't big secrets. Marvel/Disney knew and they didn't care, and the only reason for their reaction now is PR reasons.
Old 08-26-18, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How old was this one?

The dude clearly has a demented sense of humor but has any of this occurred on Disney's watch since he was hired?
Old 08-26-18, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The dude clearly has a demented sense of humor but has any of this occurred on Disney's watch since he was hired?
Makes me wonder if anyone here has ever seen a Troma movie. I’ve seen a lot of them. I’ve also watched a lot of uncomfortable standup comedy. None of his humor seems strange to me.
Old 08-26-18, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Or watched it’s always sunny, family guy, or any number of other shows that are accepted as main stream adult comedy.
Old 08-26-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Makes me wonder if anyone here has ever seen a Troma movie. I’ve seen a lot of them. I’ve also watched a lot of uncomfortable standup comedy. None of his humor seems strange to me.
Or watched it’s always sunny, family guy, or any number of other shows that are accepted as main stream adult comedy.
Same, this type of humor also isn't unique to me either.
Old 08-26-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Haha. Lots of Puritans in here. Makes me feel like a deviant.
Old 08-26-18, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

What made the Guardians films funny, at least to me, was that they were able to incorporate humor that wasn't necessarily offensive, but was totally unexpected from a superhero film (Drax bragging about having famously huge turds, for example). So it was a great merger of offensive humor toned down to fit a corporate sensibility. I don't think you get a director who was willing to be a little subversive in the superhero genre unless he was a little subversive in real-life--not that I like his tweets, because they weren't funny.

It's like when I hear people complain about Michael Jordan being a jerk and too competitive in every facet of life--that's fine, but you don't get Michael Jordan the basketball player without that aspect of his personality. It's what drove him to those heights.
Old 08-26-18, 09:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Disney is the boss in this scenario and can do whatever the fuck they want to do, whether they knew these posts or his comments existed or not... even if they turned a blind eye because they thought they could get away with it. My guess is that they were somewhat aware and since life was much different in regards to social justice warriors a mere 5 years ago it wasn't deemed such a big deal. But guess what, it now is, and Disney has the right to clean up their own backyard. Fuck Bautista and his constant bitching if he simply can't see that. I'd love to see Disney say fuck off, and when Drax returns from the ashes he is played by John Cena, or Mamoa, or The Rock, or The Mountain, or... or... or... and there is a throw away line about how he looks less like a pussy.
Old 08-26-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love seeing Bautista's tweets, I hope he continues to do so.
Old 08-26-18, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
Disney is the boss in this scenario and can do whatever the fuck they want to do...
And we can disagree with those decisions.
Old 08-26-18, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Haha. Lots of Puritans in here.
Not at all. This is 100% politically motivated, and justified as "revenge" for what happened to Roseanne Barr.
Old 08-26-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I like both those shows and have a pretty crude sense of humor myself but I realize there’s a line where I can say and do things with my friends that I can’t with my co-workers. I also know anything I put on social media, be it political or offensive for comedy’s sake can come back and bite me in the ass with my employer and get me fired.

A rape joke might go over well with friends at the bar but no so much on Facebook or twitter.
Old 08-26-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Disney can do whatever they want just like customers can spend their money on other movies when Volume 3 turns out differently than the first two. You win some and you lose some.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.