Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023, D: James Gunn)

Originally Posted by slop101
What makes you think GoG is supposed to be a "family" movie?
It's a funny sci-fi movie that can be as coarse as it's PG-13 rating allows.
Marvel Studios. Comic Book movie.

Those are generally aimed at a family audience, and Guardians is no exception. Gunn just put stuff in there to be, "Edgy," when he didn't have to. The sex and penis jokes were all unnecessary. They didn't make the movie any better, just more uncomfortable at times for families.
Old 08-13-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Are jokes about hurting someone physically (up to and including murder) just as bad? If so do I need to bring up a joke involving inflicting physical harm from just about everyone on the planet who has ever made more than 2 jokes in their entire life?
Old 08-13-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Marvel Studios. Comic Book movie...
So... Deadpool is a family friendly franchise? Logan's family friendly? The Dark Knight trilogy was family friendly?

You're using an outdated mode of thinking if you think comic book movie automatically means family friendly.
Old 08-13-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Marvel Studios. Comic Book movie.
Doesn't matter - your assumption is incorrect. You won't admit it or see it, but you're just wrong.

Those are generally aimed at a family audience, and Guardians is no exception. Gunn just put stuff in there to be, "Edgy," when he didn't have to. The sex and penis jokes were all unnecessary. They didn't make the movie any better, just more uncomfortable at times for families.
To you - most people were fine with it. Using your blanket generalizations, parents taking their pre-teen kids to PG-13 movies are bad parents. They're the ones at fault - not Gunn/Disney.
Old 08-13-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Are jokes about hurting someone physically (up to and including murder) just as bad? If so do I need to bring up a joke involving inflicting physical harm from just about everyone on the planet who has ever made more than 2 jokes in their entire life?
No shit. He's doubling down so hard on his illogical fallacy, that he's on his way to saying "no movies should have any conflict whatsoever - Family!! Think of the CHILDREN!!! Whhaaaaa!!!!" He's losing it.
Old 08-13-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...Using your blanket generalizations, parents taking their pre-teen kids to PG-13 movies are bad parents. They're the ones at fault - not Gunn/Disney.
Going one further, parents taking their pre-teen kids to PG-13 movies, and then being upset the film includes PG-13 content are just bad people, lacking critical thinking skills.
Old 08-13-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit. He's doubling down so hard on his illogical fallacy, that he's on his way to saying "no movies should have any conflict whatsoever - Family!! Think of the CHILDREN!!! Whhaaaaa!!!!" He's losing it.
To be fair, I don't think B5Erik has claimed any objections to violence in movies, which is disturbing on another level. He comes off as one of those typical MPAA style prudes that don't care about characters getting beheaded within the first few minutes of GOTG, but heaven forefend there's a SEX JOKE!
Old 08-13-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
So... Deadpool is a family friendly franchise? Logan's family friendly? The Dark Knight trilogy was family friendly?

You're using an outdated mode of thinking if you think comic book movie automatically means family friendly.
You’re using examples that aren’t produced by Disney though. The MCU is family oriented I would say. Therein lies the problem with this entire situation in my opinion. It puts Disney in a tough position when they’re known as family friendly and aimed towards a younger audience for a lot of their films/shows. They can’t afford the negative publicity from something like this. I agree the source wasn’t exactly a shining example of an upstanding citizen and Disney acted rather hastily and probably didn’t weigh their options the best prior to firing Gunn but it’s pretty easy to see why they did what they did.
Old 08-13-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To be fair, I don't think B5Erik has claimed any objections to violence in movies, which is disturbing on another level. He comes off as one of those typical MPAA style prudes that don't care about characters getting beheaded within the first few minutes of GOTG, but heaven forefend there's a SEX JOKE!
Reminds of the (probably) Jack Nicholson quote;
"In America, if you kiss a breast, the film is rated R; if you lop it off, the film is rated PG-13'. "
Old 08-13-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MARVEL STUDIOS is known for family friendly movies.

Fox is (was?) something completely different.

Logan, Deadpool - not MARVEL STUDIOS.
Old 08-13-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
You’re using examples that aren’t produced by Disney though. The MCU is family oriented I would say. Therein lies the problem with this entire situation in my opinion. It puts Disney in a tough position when they’re known as family friendly and aimed towards a younger audience for a lot of their films/shows. They can’t afford the negative publicity from something like this. I agree the source wasn’t exactly a shining example of an upstanding citizen and Disney acted rather hastily and probably didn’t weigh their options the best prior to firing Gunn but it’s pretty easy to see why they did what they did.
Bingo.
Old 08-13-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

How some don’t find those tweets vile and disgusting is beyond my comprehension. I will state again I really doubt all the higher ups at Disney knew the extent of these tweets. No one here will ever know for sure.

People want to defend him that is their right. He is a dumb shit for what he did and now it came back to bite him. How it was brought back is another story. But agree it is easy to see why Disney did what they did.
Old 08-13-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MARVEL STUDIOS is known for family friendly movies.
No, you're wrong. Just because they're not hard-R rated films doesn't automatically make them "family friendly". Where the fuck are you getting this shit from?
Old 08-13-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe Tim Burton should direct GOTG 3. Families would love that.
Old 08-13-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, you're wrong. Just because they're not hard-R rated films doesn't automatically make them "family friendly". Where the fuck are you getting this shit from?
Marvel.
Old 08-13-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
How some don’t find those tweets vile and disgusting is beyond my comprehension. I will state again I really doubt all the higher ups at Disney knew the extent of these tweets. No one here will ever know for sure.

People want to defend him that is their right. He is a dumb shit for what he did and now it came back to bite him. How it was brought back is another story. But agree it is easy to see why Disney did what they did.
No one is saying that they're not gross or unfunny - just that they're not worth getting fired over, especially long after the fact.
Old 08-13-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Marvel.
Your ignorance is showing. Marvel/Disney also publishes Max comics - read the Punisher Max series (the 2 volume omnibus just came out) and come back and tell me "Marvel" again.
Old 08-13-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your ignorance is showing. Marvel also publishes Max comics - read the Punisher Max series and come back and tell me "Marvel" again.
I'm talking not just about Marvel's 55+ year reputation, but also what Kevin Feige has said.

You're confusing your own opinions and values with fact, when I'm talking about what Kevin Feige has said and what Marvel has been PRIMARILY known for for the last 55+ years.
Old 08-13-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No one is saying that they're not gross or unfunny - just that they're not worth getting fired over, especially long after the fact.
Again, you're confusing your own opinion with fact. Are they worth getting fired over? Unless you're running Disney it's not up to you to say, definitively, that they're not.
Old 08-13-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm talking not just about Marvel's 55+ year reputation, but also what Kevin Feige has said.

You're confusing your own opinions and values with fact, when I'm talking about what Kevin Feige has said and what Marvel has been PRIMARILY known for for the last 55+ years.
The fuck are you talking about? It's not my opinion that Marvel/Disney just published THIS:
Spoiler:

Old 08-13-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You’re using examples that aren’t produced by Disney though. The MCU is family oriented I would say....
Well, except for GOTG, which as B5Erik points out is full of sex and penis jokes!!OMG!!

The fact that Marvel made the first two GOTG films is evidence that they don't always make all-ages films. Not to mention the fact that so many of their films are PG-13. These aren't "family orientated" the same way Frozen or even The Incredibles are.

And again, "Disney" has made a lot of R-rated fair over the years under its subsidiaries. Marvel is a subsidiary. There's room for them to do more than just the G-PG fair of Disney "proper."

...it’s pretty easy to see why they did what they did.
Sure. It's also pretty easy to disagree with it.
Old 08-13-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fuck are you talking about? It's not my opinion that Marvel/Disney just published THIS:
Spoiler:

I don't see the problem there. No sex or penis jokes, so seems pretty family friendly to me.
Old 08-13-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Maybe Tim Burton should direct GOTG 3. Families would love that.
Dude, Tim Burton is, right now, directing the live action Dumbo. Disney doesn't give a damn about a director's past, unless some online zealots try and make them look bad.
Old 08-13-18, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

NOT Marvel Studios...
Old 08-13-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't recall many people voicing complaints about the content of the first two Guardians of the Galaxy movies, so calling them out now for that sort of material seems awfully disingenuous and reaching for something to attack Gunn for after the fact.

Aside from believing PG-13 can and should allow for some tame jokes that a teenager would understand, Disney also approved the content of the movies and the ratings they received.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.