Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019, D: Leitch) S: Johnson, Statham, Elba, Kirby

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019, D: Leitch) S: Johnson, Statham, Elba, Kirby

Old 04-21-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019, D: Leitch) S: Johnson, Statham, Elba, Kirby

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is a great idea. He would need to be a bad guy at first however like Statham.
You mean like Dom, Letty, Mia, Roman, Tej, etc Pretty much every character started out as a criminal except for Brian.
Old 04-22-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019, D: Leitch) S: Johnson, Statham, Elba, Kirby

Spoiler about potential secret villain and actor playing him:

Spoiler:
EXCLUSIVE – Keanu Reeves to Have Significant Role in ‘Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw’

One lesson we’ve learned from the Fast & Furious franchise is this: whenever there’s a bad guy, there is usually a bigger, badder guy lurking in the shadows. It seems that this remains the case even with the new Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham spin-off, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw. The recently released trailer features Idris Elba (Heimdall in the Thor/Avengers films) as the film’s “bad guy”. However, sources close to That Hashtag Show have informed us that Elba is not the bad guy.

In the last outing for Fast & Furious, we learned the identity of the driving force behind all of Dominic Toretto’s miseries: Cipher. Charlize Theron played Cipher to chilling perfection, taunting and manipulating Dom to his breaking point. Fast & Furious 8 saw the first team-up between Hobbs & Shaw. That paring was the inspiration for the new spin-off series. Like Cipher before, there will be a new background baddie pulling the strings for the new, odd couple offset from the main franchise. That villain will be none other than Keanu Reeves.

Right now we don’t have any more details about the exact role Reeves will play in Hobbs & Shaw. We only know that he is somehow tied to the film’s main villain, Brixton (Idris Elba). It’s possible, according to the source, that Reeves’ character will be revealed towards the end of the movie. Alternatively, he could appear in an end-credits scene to set up the sequel we all know will be coming.

EXCLUSIVE - Keanu Reeves to Have Significant Role in 'Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw' - That Hashtag Show
Old 04-22-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice.
Old 04-22-19, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I'm watching this now, especially if that's true.
Old 04-22-19, 01:13 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Spoiler about potential secret villain and actor playing him:

Spoiler:
EXCLUSIVE – Keanu Reeves to Have Significant Role in ‘Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw’

One lesson we’ve learned from the Fast & Furious franchise is this: whenever there’s a bad guy, there is usually a bigger, badder guy lurking in the shadows. It seems that this remains the case even with the new Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham spin-off, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw. The recently released trailer features Idris Elba (Heimdall in the Thor/Avengers films) as the film’s “bad guy”. However, sources close to That Hashtag Show have informed us that Elba is not the bad guy.

In the last outing for Fast & Furious, we learned the identity of the driving force behind all of Dominic Toretto’s miseries: Cipher. Charlize Theron played Cipher to chilling perfection, taunting and manipulating Dom to his breaking point. Fast & Furious 8 saw the first team-up between Hobbs & Shaw. That paring was the inspiration for the new spin-off series. Like Cipher before, there will be a new background baddie pulling the strings for the new, odd couple offset from the main franchise. That villain will be none other than Keanu Reeves.

Right now we don’t have any more details about the exact role Reeves will play in Hobbs & Shaw. We only know that he is somehow tied to the film’s main villain, Brixton (Idris Elba). It’s possible, according to the source, that Reeves’ character will be revealed towards the end of the movie. Alternatively, he could appear in an end-credits scene to set up the sequel we all know will be coming.

EXCLUSIVE - Keanu Reeves to Have Significant Role in 'Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw' - That Hashtag Show

Old 04-23-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Whoa. That's crazy awesome.
Old 06-28-19, 10:13 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b736ZM_KfEk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

That's some good, over the top, shit going on... I likey!
Old 07-08-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was watching Spiderman last week in Oahu and the audience went nuts when the trailer came on. I guess it's a cultural thing.
Old 07-29-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

I've never seen a F&F movie. Never really interested me. But this looks like a fun movie. Will I be totally lost seeing it?
Old 07-29-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've never seen a F&F movie. Never really interested me. But this looks like a fun movie. Will I be totally lost seeing it?
I doubt it. Aside from maybe needing to know
Spoiler:
Shaw started out as a bad guy and was recruited to help the team out in the last F&F movie and this movie is probably going to have a lot of “frienemy” type jokes.
there’s not much else to know going in.
Old 07-29-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice. Thank you. Was planning on an early afternoon showing on Friday.
Old 07-29-19, 09:19 AM

I think there is a little more to the backstory that should be known. This is real cliffnotes:
Spoiler:
Deckard Shaw's brother, Owen Shaw, was the villain in 6. He was left in a comatose state at the end of the movie. This triggered Statham's character to go after the team and kill one of their members, Han, who has apart of the franchise for 3-6 (and a fan favorite). This kicked off the events of 7 where it was basically Statham trying to kill the team, including Hobbs. Hobbs is held up in a hospital for most of the movie. Hobbs locks him up at the end of 7. In 8, they are teamed up for the first time...
Old 07-29-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the additional info
Old 07-29-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, this looks like a lot of fun. I will bring the popcorn... that bike scene is fucking cool too.
Old 07-29-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,623 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I'm seeing this Thursday night in Dolby. Can't wait. Since this is such a high profile big budget action movie, I guess we should get an actual spoiler review thread going.
Old 07-30-19, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Thanks for the additional info
Written for people like you!

How to Watch Hobbs & Shaw When You’ve Never Seen a Fast & Furious Moviehttps://www.vulture.com/2019/07/hobb...dowbTnOen3gnvA
Old 07-30-19, 10:44 AM

Hobbs & Shaw writer promises that justice for Han is coming
https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/30/hob...bya2QZ-rCT2p78
Old 07-30-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Written for people like you!

How to Watch Hobbs & Shaw When You’ve Never Seen a Fast & Furious Moviehttps://www.vulture.com/2019/07/hobb...dowbTnOen3gnvA
Guess I'm not the only one if there was a need for this article.
Old 07-30-19, 06:33 PM

If estimates hold, “Hobbs & Shaw” could withstand a sequel slump. The ninth entry from “The Fast & Furious” universe is expected to earn $60 million when it touches down in 4,200 North American theaters, but industry watchers predict that positive word-of-mouth could inflate that figure. While that would rank among the lower starts for a “Fast & Furious” entry, comps are tougher since it’s the franchise’s first spinoff. The biggest debut for the series belongs to 2015’s “Furious 7” ($147 million), which went on to become the highest-grossing installment yet with a mighty $1.5 billion. “Hobbs and Shaw” won’t reach that kind of rarefied air, at least in its inaugural weekend. The most recent installment, 2017’s “The Fate of the Furious” bowed with $98 million and ended its box office run with $1.2 billion.
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...vfG-nCqeS0_t5k

Seems conservative for sure.
Old 07-31-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm seeing this Thursday night in Dolby. Can't wait. Since this is such a high profile big budget action movie, I guess we should get an actual spoiler review thread going.
Yep, I am seeing it at 7 p.m. Thursday, as well, and will drop my review first thing Friday morning. I am SOOOOOO ready for a stupid-fun physics defying brain-at-the-door movie.