Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Fate of the Furious (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
20.00%
52.00%
12.00%
12.00%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4.00%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Do the say why Brian is not there or is it a major spoiler? If a spoiler please tag it. I hope to see this next week. Can't get there any sooner sadly.

On another note trying to watch 7 to catch up and on both the ps3 and ps4 it won't play if you let the internet access the blu. Found that out the hard way. Tried playing it and it locked up. Took it up to the ps3 same thing bought a replacement with the movie cash and SAME thing. Finally googled it and apparently it had something to do with the disc wanting to access the internet.

At least I will see the movie for almost free with the movie cash...
Old 04-15-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Spoiler:
There's just a quick line about not wanting to get him involved. The main plot of the film involves Dom finding out he's got a kid with Elena and he names the him Brian (Elena wanted Dom to name him and was calling him by his middle name of Marcus). Those are the only times they reference Brian.
Old 04-15-17, 06:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Do the say why Brian is not there or is it a major spoiler? If a spoiler please tag it. I hope to see this next week. Can't get there any sooner sadly.
Isn't that the purpose of this thread? For those who have seen it? Why spoiler anything here? The thread is even called Spoiler Filled Reviews.
Old 04-15-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big dumb fun. I liked it for what it was. Plot holes galore. Not sure why Dom couldn't just tell Letty that Cipher was blackmailing him and had abducted his kid and Elena. He had no idea of her recon capabilities while in Cuba. Also not convinced that the gang would accept Deckard into the fold when he MURDERED Han in the last movie but whatevs.

I've actually been to the frozen lake in the climatic set piece, but during the summer, so that was cool to see. It's actually in Iceland, not Russia.

Hope they give Helen Mirren and Charlize Theron more to do in the next movie. Poor Cipher is cooped up in that plane for almost the entire time.

My rankings for the movies from best to worst:

Old 04-15-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today. Entertaining, but I have to say they really pushed the bounds of what is believable , even for a F&F movie. This seemed more like a G.I. Joe (I know, Johnson is in that one as well) script that got re-worked to fit this franchise.

The good:

-Action sequences
-Dwayne Johnson
-Kurt Russell
-Statham actually getting some decent action sequences this time.

Bad:
-Remote controlled cars was too sci-fi for me
-Elena as the mother of Turetto's kid seemed out of the blue and didn't make any sense for either the series or in terms of time lines. Kid should have been older.
-This franchise seems to have a track record of turning its antagonists into team members. I didn't buy that they would welcome the two brothers after what they had done in the previous installments. I don't care if they were working for Sifer or being influenced by her, it doesn't make sense.

That said, I hope they get to finish their planned 10 movies. I wouldn't be surprised if the last scene of the series has Turetto, Letty, and little Brian going to visit the other Brian's family. The two kids will find their way in to miniature cars and start a race of their own. Franchise goes on hiatus till they can reboot it with them as the leads.
Old 04-15-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, they'll find a way for Han to come back and "vindicate" Statham.
Old 04-15-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it would have been better if Dom had named his son Paul.
Old 04-16-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah the whole time I was hoping they wouldn't go super cliche and name him Brian.
Old 04-16-17, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't mind it that the kid was named Brian. I guess Paul would have worked too though. I thought it was a tad cheesy that Elena wouldn't have named him and was only calling him by his middle name though.
Old 04-16-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Judging by the lack of posts in this thread I'm going to presume forum members have had enough of this franchise.
Old 04-16-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Isn't that the purpose of this thread? For those who have seen it? Why spoiler anything here? The thread is even called Spoiler Filled Reviews.
Because people like to read someone's opinion of the movie without having it ruined. Common courtesy most here adhere to it. It should be mandatory for the first few weeks to spoiler something on a new movie. Fuck it isn't that damn hard to spoiler tag something.
Old 04-16-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't that the purpose of the main thread though? This is the spoiler filled reviews thread..
Old 04-16-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it, more then Furious 7 although not as great as Fast Five (which is legitimately one of my favorite action movies ever) and part 6. I'm so glad that they made Dom's turn somewhat believable - I thought it was going to be really hokey and eye rolling, but they made it make sense. I'm still pretty impressed that the writers have managed to weave in storylines from the last few movies in to this one in a semi-coherent manner. Using Elena here worked well, and Cipher being involved in what the Shaw brothers were doing also tied everything together well. For me anyway

As much as the audience should hate the Shaw brothers, I still loved seeing both of them fighting together at the end and wanted to see more of Luke Evans. And Statham and Johnson carry this movie with their banter. It was fantastic and wouldn't mind seeing them together in a spinoff.

It was definitely a little weird not having Brian there, and the movie definitely felt like it was lacking a little something. Scott Eastwood's character definitely felt like a pretty white guy replacement type for him.
Old 04-16-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Review from my Facebook review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies

Fate of the Furious - PG-13 - Dom and the the gang are back in an eighth installment that tops all previous efforts in terms of sheer entertainment

In the seventh chapter of this long-running franchise, we said a sad but heartfelt goodbye to actor Paul Walker and his character Brian, in what many considered the high point of this adrenaline-filled action series. What began as an homage to the street racing films of the 50’s and and 60’s, has now become defacto street-level James Bond, replacing Q’s gadgets with the coolest tricked-out vehicles this side of Fury Road, but with a respect for strong family relationships at its core.

There’s a sly wink to the franchise’s roots in the opening scene of Fate of the Furious, with Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) involved in the most insane pink slip race ever committed to film. If that’s not enough to get your blood pumping, it’s immediately followed with one of the funniest soccer game warm-ups ever, with Luke Hobbs (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) as coach to his daughter’s team, running the girls through a routine that completely destroys the other team’s motivation to play. Between these two scenes, you’ve almost got your money’s worth, but there is so much more to come.

Under the savvy direction of F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job), these two scenes prime us for the over-the-top action and humor that the eighth Fast and Furious brings to the table. As we know from the trailers, a cold-hearted cyber-terrorist (Charlize Theron) manages to turn Dom against his entire “family”, which includes new wife Letty (Michelle Rodriguez). Hobbs, Roman (Tyrese Gibson), Parker (Chris ‘Ludacris’ Bridges), and new additions Ramsey (Natalie Emmanuel), Mr. Nobody (Kurt Russell) and his assistant (Scott Eastwood). As ridiculous as it might sound, the reason for Dom’s rogue “turn” is actually very compelling, and proves how vicious and deadly the terrorist Cipher really is.

As the family struggles to deal with Dom’s betrayal, Hobbs is forced to team with Deckard (Jason Statham), the revenge-driven brother of Owen (Luke Evans), both big bads in the 7th and 6th installments, respectively. Suffice it to say, adding Deckard to the team leads to some surprising, amusing, and interesting developments that bode well for the franchise’s future.

To say much more would give away a lot of the delights and surprises Fate has in store for its target audience. The zombie car stampede through the streets of New York is just crazy, and the last-third action sequences that involve cars and vehicles of all capabilities, a nuclear submarine racing through a frozen Russian lake, and a very amusing fight on board a stealth cargo jet had the audience I was with laughing, cheering and clapping practically up to the end of the film.

Fate of the Furious proves that the Fast and Furious franchise has more than enough juice to keep going, if they can stay focused on such crowd-pleasing action and humor, and keep an emphasis on the importance of family.

I absolutely loved this movie, and give it 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Fate of the Furious is rated PG-13 for intense scenes of action, including vehicular mayhem on a large scale, some women in short shorts and skirts shot from low angles in the opening scene, and for language. There is one “f” bomb spoken during a surprising cameo, and s**t, a**, and g**d*** are heard a few times. There is a lot of-hand to-hand fighting and gun play but little blood, and a scene leading up to the unexpected death of a member of Dom’s “family” can be particularly distressing. One bad guy is thrown in the direction of a spinning submarine propeller - the impact is not shown but a brief blood spray hits a wall.

There is no after-credits scene, so you don't need to sit through to the bitter end...

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 04-16-17 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-16-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Cypher was controlling Statham's character. So it wasn't his fault he killed Han.

Loved this entry and I can't believe I'm saying it but give me MORE. =)
Old 04-16-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I had a good time with this one. Still wondered how Dom was able to even plan that secret meeting if he was being watched at all times prior to that though.

For the next one: I'm one of the few that says bring back Lucas Black. Hell, bring back Han, like someone earlier in the thread said, while we're at it, they can make up some shit. Ramsey, despite the hacking skills, seems extraneous. Tej/Roman pining for her...well that works for some light comedy, but that really doesn't give her a whole lot to do besides reject them.

Someone mentioned this on another site but Dom really shows no personality, while driving. I get that he's hardened/the leader, but even Hobbs lets in a celebration. Roman reacts all the time, and before this movie obviously, Brian would also be smiling, etc. But Dom wins that race while his car is on fire and just walks out.

Great to see Deckard and Hobbs team up, but also hilarious to see Deckard take part in holding hands at the prayer before the meal at the end.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-16-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I had a blast watching this. Way over the top, ridiculous plot, but a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of CGI too.

Agree with a few earlier comments that's it's better than 7. Now that I look back, 7 actually felt choppy compared to this. Probably the 2nd best entry in the rebooted era of the series (starting with Fast Five) It was really long at 136 minutes, but I thought it was edited really well. Not even one slow sequence.

It was full of non-stop action, but they really lightened up the tone a lot. Johnson and Statham were hilarious in their scenes together. Tej and Roman were gold with their banter.

Dom's turn did make sense after it was revealed that Elena was kidnapped. After all, they were a couple before he got back with Letty.

I actually thought Statham was the highlight of the movie. Some pretty badass fight scenes in the prison and the climatic plane sequence against Cipher and her goon was pretty awesome. Loved his humor. And bringing in Helen Mirren as his Mom was hilarious.

Charlize Theron was actually a really fun villain. They did leave it open for her to come back. I think they will probably bring her back for the last movie and introduce a new villain in 9.

Funny how the media publicized Johnson and Diesel's problems because as far as I remember they only briefly shared 1 scene together (the EMP heist sequence with Dom ramming his car into Hobbs) They never shared a single scene or interacted with each other the rest of the movie. If Hobbs is brought back for 9, I wonder if they will try to write them apart.

Scott Eastwood was actually amusing as the by the books straight man Little Nobody. I've actually found him kind of stiff in his previous works.

F. Gary Gray was the perfect director for this. Hopefully they bring him back for 9 and 10.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-17-17 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

-Elena as the mother of Turetto's kid seemed out of the blue and didn't make any sense for either the series or in terms of time lines. Kid should have been older.
How was Elena being the mother of Dom's kid out of the blue?

Dom and Elena were lovers during Fast and Furious 6. They didn't break up until Letty came back into the picture late in the movie. Elena said that she didn't find out she was pregnant until after he got back together with Letty. That was probably during 7. I'm guessing 6 and 7 took place within 12-15 months. Definitely feasible that she could have had a 12-14 month old kid in Part 8.
Old 04-17-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
For the next one: I'm one of the few that says bring back Lucas Black.
Few? It seemed like most of us fans here wanted to see him brought back. Looking it up, seems like he was supposed to be in this movie but had a scheduling conflict. He's signed up for more movies though.
Old 04-17-17, 07:43 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Yup. I definitely would like to see Lucas Black come back. I wonder what happened with getting Eva Mendes back into the fold. I guess she has pretty much gone full time mommy raising her baby geese.

Also, here are the details about an end credit scene involving The Rock and Statham that Vin apparently was pissed about and had cut: http://www.thewrap.com/vin-diesel-ki...oved-insiders/
Old 04-17-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm guessing Lucas Black had scheduling conflicts with NCIS New Orleans. That show shoots in New Orleans and is a 8-9 month job. Considering the locations of this movie, it probably would have been really hard to schedule time for him to film any extended scenes.
Old 04-18-17, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I actually thought Statham was the highlight of the movie. Some pretty badass fight scenes in the prison and the climatic plane sequence against Cipher and her goon was pretty awesome. Loved his humor. And bringing in Helen Mirren as his Mom was hilarious.
Now you're making me want to see this movie. Any chance of a Statham actor's cut release of this?
Old 04-18-17, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This was ridiculously bad in terms of plot but as always, great action. There are way too many plot holes out count. The biggest one was the team basically befriending Deckard when he's the guy that killed Han. This is supposed to be a family, yet someone straight up murders one of their own and apparently all is forgiven because he saves Dom's (maybe) baby. And the fact that Dom is able to do all he did without the world's greatest hacker ever having a clue about it is ridiculous.

But I think we all agree you don't watch these movies for the plot or dialogue.
Old 04-18-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/18/the-ro...n-diesel-fued/

The Rock and Vin Diesel have buried the hatchet and both will star in the next installment of the insanely popular 'Fast and the Furious' franchise ... sources involved in the production tell TMZ.
Our sources say Vin and Dwayne have met privately several times since animosity between them exploded on the set of "The Fate of the Furious." We're told they are "good" and both are "1000% in" for the next flick.
The sources are opening up about the feud ... one explaining it was all over "real estate." In movie language, real estate is all about how much an actor shines -- who gets the best action scenes, who gets the hottest girl, who shows off their body more, and who gets the most face time.
It became a big issue for Dwayne and Vin, but ultimately, Dwayne acknowledged it was Vin's movie -- he's listed #1 on the call sheet.
The one thing the feud was not about ... money. They both make a fortune off the franchise.
But all systems go for the next installment.
Old 04-18-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Breaking! “Men Agree to Put Petty Differences Aside in Exchange for Hundreds of Millions of Dollars”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.