Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Fate of the Furious (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
20.00%
52.00%
12.00%
12.00%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4.00%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Diesel is reportedly worth $160M. Not bad for an ex-breakdancer.
Old 04-18-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So what was the fate of the furious at the end?
Old 04-18-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
So what was the fate of the furious at the end?
They saw the boxoffice returns and they calmed down.
Old 04-21-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well, the plot and action were as absurd, nonsensical, and over the top as I expected, but it was entertaining enough when I decided to just shut my brain off and stop analyzing.

I couldn't get over how much Scott Eastwood looks like Chris Evans. If Evans ever decided to quit the Captain America role, Eastwood could step right in and I don't think half the audience would notice.
Old 04-21-17, 02:35 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

TheWrap previously reported exclusively that a short “tag” featuring Johnson and Statham was filmed for “The Fate of the Furious,” but producer and co-star Vin Diesel killed plans to add the scene to the very end of the movie. One individual familiar with the situation told TheWrap that the scene was viewed as a launch point for a potential spinoff.

The deleted scene is a nod to “Rocky 3’s” fight at the end between Rocky and Apollo. Hobbs and Shaw face off and right before they connect fists they stop, look at one another and one of them goes, “Why are we fighting? We should be working together instead of for that idiot.”

And “that idiot” is none other than Dominic Toretto, played by Diesel.
http://www.thewrap.com/fate-of-the-f...deleted-scene/
Old 04-21-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The sequence with Statham and the baby was awesome, but immensely pisses me off by reminding me that Hard Boiled still doesn't have a Blu-ray releases worth a damn .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-22-17 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me or does every one of these end at a BBQ ?
Old 04-22-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
It's all about family!
Old 04-22-17, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I had a blast watching this. Way over the top, ridiculous plot, but a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of CGI too.

Agree with a few earlier comments that's it's better than 7. Now that I look back, 7 actually felt choppy compared to this. Probably the 2nd best entry in the rebooted era of the series (starting with Fast Five) It was really long at 136 minutes, but I thought it was edited really well. Not even one slow sequence.

It was full of non-stop action, but they really lightened up the tone a lot. Johnson and Statham were hilarious in their scenes together. Tej and Roman were gold with their banter.

Dom's turn did make sense after it was revealed that Elena was kidnapped. After all, they were a couple before he got back with Letty.

I actually thought Statham was the highlight of the movie. Some pretty badass fight scenes in the prison and the climatic plane sequence against Cipher and her goon was pretty awesome. Loved his humor. And bringing in Helen Mirren as his Mom was hilarious.

Charlize Theron was actually a really fun villain. They did leave it open for her to come back. I think they will probably bring her back for the last movie and introduce a new villain in 9.

Funny how the media publicized Johnson and Diesel's problems because as far as I remember they only briefly shared 1 scene together (the EMP heist sequence with Dom ramming his car into Hobbs) They never shared a single scene or interacted with each other the rest of the movie. If Hobbs is brought back for 9, I wonder if they will try to write them apart.

Scott Eastwood was actually amusing as the by the books straight man Little Nobody. I've actually found him kind of stiff in his previous works.

F. Gary Gray was the perfect director for this. Hopefully they bring him back for 9 and 10.
This pretty much sums my reaction to it. Lots to process and I goosebumps several times during this. I always fear they have finally shot their wad and had said before this may be my last one in the theaters... bring 9 with a vengeance. Wow so much fun. Can't wait to see it again on blu.
Old 04-23-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
All that driving builds an appetite!

Saw this yesterday. Silly as all hell but so much fun. Loved Statham in this and enjoyed Luke Evans' return.
Old 04-23-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
It's all about family!
It's fambly.

Also, clearly its not. Kill Han? It's cool.
Old 04-23-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Cypher was controlling Statham's character. So it wasn't his fault he killed Han.
Yea I am not sure why some are having a hard time processing this...and he may not actually be dead according to some idea's being thrown out.
Old 04-23-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how they do it, but no matter how dumb these movies get, they are still entertaining and work. I'll be honest, I don't remember a single thing about any of these other movies, they are all the same and blend in, but they are always entertaining.

I enjoyed this one as well. Roman should be the most annoying character on film, but somehow remains entertaining. Johnson was awesome, Russell is awesome and Charlize was great as the baddie but I'm bummed she didn't get a good comeuppance at the end. Jason Statham stole the show, and his scene on the plane was easily the best part. Enjoyed Helen Mirren as his mom also. One thing I also liked was how they downplayed the hand to hand in this one. Everyone being a Kung Fu expert in 7 was kind of ridiculous.

The biggest negatives for me was that I didn't buy the reason for Dom going rogue. Yes, Cipher had Elena, but considering how Dom couldn't toss her aside fast enough when Letty was alive it was tough for me to buy it. Dom also isn't a very interesting character and they blew a chance to make him more well rounded. Still hate having Michelle Rodriguez back because I can't stand her however she was downplayed and wasn't bad. This movie made me wish that Elena would have stuck around instead of being replaced by Letty even more.

Another problem I have with these movies is it seems like nothing that happens in them matter. Major characters who are killed off come back for no reason and thus nothing ever feels permanent.

I also think it's funny that the feud with The Rock and Diesel was supposedly about screen time. Diesel may be the star, but the movies didn't become super popular until Dwayne came onboard, and now with them basically being ensemble movies I don't really think Diesel is that important anymore on screen.

Overall I still had a hell of a lot of fun and I will be back for part 9. 4/5
Old 04-23-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Since the FAST & FURIOUS films seem to do so well in China, it's got me wondering: are they shown in China in English with Chinese subtitles or are they dubbed in Mandarin?

Just curious.
Old 04-24-17, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I feel like everyone commenting that the plot was ridiculous and there were too many plotholes are being totally rick roll'd.

The plot wasn't "kind of ridiculous". It was straight up one of the most absurd and ridiculous movies ever made. But everything people are knocking about it terms of plot and logic, I think are an asset to the film and part of what made it so amazing. It kept me on suspense the whole way through. I kept wondering okay, now how are they gonna top that. And they didn't disappoint.

An international terrorist secured nuclear bombs and planned to launch them from a submarine in a frozen body of water in Russia (for no real apparent reason). So a rogue offshoot of the US government's response to this cataclysmic and monumental event was to send 3 street racers ,2 computer hackers and The Rock in a bunch of sports cars to try and stop them. Not only that, but even though all this was happening on a frozen body of water, they were still driving CARS. In the middle of Buttfuck nowhere, in Arctic level temperatures on a huge sheet of ice, they were driving lamborghinis around trying to stop a nuclear holocaust. And they did! It was fucking amazing!

I dunno, the crazier the film got, the more fun it got. If you're watching a Fast & Furious movie, and sometime during the course of the film the word "continuity" enters your head. You've taken a wrong turn. I thought the movie was fantastic.
Old 04-24-17, 12:38 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was entertaining but I did not enjoy it as much as prior entries into the series.

Statham was 100% the highlight for me. The whole airplane bit was fantastic and he played it really really well. And Helen Mirren was fantastic in her small part. The accent was bad but who cares.

Overall I will watch the next one but I hope its the end of the series then as the movies have become so absurd and over the top to take much more.
Old 04-24-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
The biggest negatives for me was that I didn't buy the reason for Dom going rogue. Yes, Cipher had Elena, but considering how Dom couldn't toss her aside fast enough when Letty was alive it was tough for me to buy it.
Yeah, but you don't think his own child would be enough regardless of the woman?
Old 04-24-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, but you don't think his own child would be enough regardless of the woman?
That's what I initially thought brought him there, but the way the scene is shot with her comment about "Now they have the three of us" and Diesel's completely surprised reaction made me think that he didn't know about the baby till he got on the plane.
Old 04-26-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it. 2nd most enjoyable since 5. I still don't see how you don't title this "F8 of the Furious". I mean, it's RIGHT THERE.
Old 04-26-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Thought it was okay though seeing it alone in the theater (literally, I was the only one there) might've skewed my experience, lol.
Old 04-26-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Perhaps Furious 9 will have Dom on Maury to determine if he really is the father.
Old 04-26-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Perhaps Furious 9 will have Dom on Maury to determine if he really is the father.
Old 05-03-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw it tonight and loved it. I was a little disappointed with F7, but considering the shit they had to deal with losing one of their main cast members, it's hard to hold it against them. Glad they pulled it off with this one, it was nice seeing everyone back again in another goofy plot to save the world. With every movie trying to up the previous one, it's like watching a live action cartoon. The only weak link to me is Dom, but obviously he's not going anywhere. It would be cool to see a Rock & Statham spinoff. I'd be down for that. I also agree about Gray, hopefully he sticks around for the next one.
Old 05-03-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it the other day and mostly liked it. But I really hope that Scott Eastwood does not return because that guy fucking sucked. I don't understand how someone can be related to the most iconic movie star of all time and not possess even a tenth of his screen presence.

Not that Paul Walker was Marlon Brando or anything, but he had that white guy Keanu dudebro soulfulness down pat. Scott Eastwood doesn't even have that.
Old 05-22-17, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched this last night and I enjoyed it immensely. Much better than 7 for me. I liked the humour throughout especially with the Rock and Staham plus you will think that the character of Roman will be annoying by now but he wasn't. I also liked the fact that they brought Tego Calderon and Don Omar back as they have been missing since 5.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.