Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that received negative reviews when they were released, but are now classics?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that received negative reviews when they were released, but are now classics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 03:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

What movies received negative reviews when they were first released, but are now generally considered classics?
Old 04-02-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movies that received negative reviews when they were released, but are now classi

The Shining (1980)
Old 04-02-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Movies that received negative reviews when they were released, but are now classi

Old 04-02-17, 03:40 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Dazed and Confused
Old 04-02-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

It's a Wonderful Life

Also from what I recall, it wasn't even a Christmas movie. It was released after the Christmas season.
Old 04-02-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Fight Club, also I think The Beach was pretty negatively recieved when it first opened. Now it's probably one of my favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movies.
Old 04-02-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

National Lampoon's Vacation- the critics HATED that movie.

The Goonies
Old 04-02-17, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Blade Runner
Old 04-02-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It's a Wonderful Life

Also from what I recall, it wasn't even a Christmas movie. It was released after the Christmas season.
Yep, the movie became famous and revered from constant television syndication around Christmas for decades. It was a mere footnote when first released.
Old 04-02-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blade Runner, Shawshank, Wizard Of Oz all bombed when they first came out but rebounded quite nicely.
Old 04-02-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Bombing is not the same as negatively reviewed. Shawshank was well regarded from the get-go and a Best Picture contender.
Old 04-02-17, 07:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I think The Beach was pretty negatively recieved when it first opened. Now it's probably one of my favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movies.
It's not a great movie or my favorite Leo flick, but I love to watch it every now and again for the zaniness.
Old 04-02-17, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Carpenter's The Thing
Old 04-02-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Bombing is not the same as negatively reviewed. Shawshank was well regarded from the get-go and a Best Picture contender.
ROBBED! *cough*cough*
Old 04-02-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Alien

From Wikipedia:
Critical reaction to the film was initially mixed. Some critics who were not usually favorable towards science fiction, such as Barry Norman of the BBC's Film series, were positive about the film's merits. Others, however, were not; reviews by Variety, Sight and Sound, Vincent Canby and Leonard Maltin were mixed or negative. (Maltin, however, reassessed the film upon the release of the Director's Cut and gave Alien a positive review.) A review by Time Out said the film was an "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty". In a 1980 episode of Sneak Previews discussing science fiction films of the 1950s and 1970s, critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert were critical of Alien. Ebert called it "basically just an intergalactic haunted house thriller set inside a spaceship" and one of several science fiction pictures that were "real disappointments" compared to Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, though he did compliment the early scene of the Nostromo's crew exploring the alien planet as showing "real imagination".
Old 04-02-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Love Actually", RT score is right now at 63% but that's probably the highest over time. When it was released it was probably lower. It didn't got great numbers at movie theaters either.

Time passed and someone posted about how they watched the movie with their partner every year during Christmas, and everyone was like "oh yeah, we do that too!". And it became a classic.
Old 04-03-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Vertigo (1958)
Old 04-03-17, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The New York Times gave a horribly dismissive review of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN when it opened in 1957, but now it's considered one of the best '50s sci-fi films.

BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE got horrible reviews in 1988, but was a huge hit and is arguably an '80s classic. I remember reading the reviews of it and thinking, "This movie sounds great, why are they dissing it?" So I went to see it with my then-five-year-old daughter and we loved it. I took issue with a film critic friend of mine for panning it.
Old 04-03-17, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Blade Runner, Shawshank, Wizard Of Oz all bombed when they first came out but rebounded quite nicely.
The Wizard Of Oz was one of the top 10 grossing movies the year it came out and reviews were mostly positive but it lost money because it went way over budget. That said the studio turned a profit on it a few years later with rereleases and before it became a hit on tv airrings.
Old 04-03-17, 02:35 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yep, the movie became famous and revered from constant television syndication around Christmas for decades. It was a mere footnote when first released.
It was nominated for best picture and got terrific reviews. It just wasn't successful at the box office.
Old 04-03-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Genre movies never receive great reviews from professional critics, so it usually takes years and years of fan interest to build their reputation. This has changed in recent times thanks to the Internet and more average moviegoers rating things.

I would actually say that professional critics really only matter these days for Oscar bait material.
Old 04-03-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Jupiter Ascending! oh wait we are still on 2017
Old 04-03-17, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
John Carpenter's The Thing
Was The Thing's reception that negative? I know it wasn't as appreciated and highly regarded as it is now, but I don't recall the response being that critical.

On the other hand, Big Trouble In Little China was pretty savaged when it came out, particularly after following his widely praised Starman and the success of Christine. Granted, it's still not regarded as a classic, but I think more people (and critics) have come to appreciate the film for what it is.
Old 04-03-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,197 Likes on 4,224 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Blade Runner
Yup, first one that sprung to my mind.

Here's Siskel & Ebert's review from 1982 (skip ahead to 19:15)
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/euq7gvzQXJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-03-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Catwoman?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.