Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Old 02-22-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Originally Posted by DJariya
He fricking wrote and directed two Avengers movies, which were huge big budget ensemble films and he couldn’t come up with a decent Batgirl origin story movie?

He’s the one who apparently pitched this to WB and he couldn’t write a movie based off his own pitch.
I think the accusations of sexism, misogyny, and philandering thrown at him recently may have gotten to him while trying to write a female hero.
Old 02-22-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I think the accusations of sexism, misogyny, and philandering thrown at him recently may have gotten to him while trying to write a female hero.
This.

And not to mention his mediocre fill-in on Justice League.
Old 02-22-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

Not saying that couldn’t have played into it but then what exactly did he pitch them? This film was his idea in the first place and it’s rumored WB gave it to him for replacing Snyder. He must have had something in mind. Plus he’s written countless hours of stories centered around strong female characters. While his personal problems may have made things harder I find it kind of hard to believe he couldn’t “crack the code” on the character. It’s not like it’s something he has nothing to base it off of. There’s a ton of source material and he’s no stranger to comics/superhero films.
Old 02-22-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Re: Batgirl (D: Whedon)

Originally Posted by Mike86
I actually was really looking forward to this film. Seemed like it had a lot of potential and Whedon seemed the right fit for it but of course WB has to play the blame game and punish him for the failure of Justice League when the reality is it’s their own damn fault (I don’t even blame Snyder). These films are shit and they deserve to fail as long as they maintain their current direction. Fuck WB and the DCEU.
You're insisting WB is doing this to punish him for Justice League without any facts or sources whatsoever to back you up on this, despite Whedon admitting he couldn't crack the story?

Why I'm flabbergasted...
Old 02-22-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Batgirl (D: Whedon)

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You're insisting WB is doing this to punish him for Justice League without any facts or sources whatsoever to back you up on this, despite Whedon admitting he couldn't crack the story?

Why I'm flabbergasted...
I cited a source from around the release of Justice League where he was rumored to have been dropped from this film at that time. The source denied the rumors at that time. Clearly it gained enough traction for a site like like EW to pick up the story.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/22/joss-whedon-batgirl/
Old 02-22-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Not saying that couldn’t have played into it but then what exactly did he pitch them? This film was his idea in the first place and it’s rumored WB gave it to him for replacing Snyder. He must have had something in mind. Plus he’s written countless hours of stories centered around strong female characters. While his personal problems may have made things harder I find it kind of hard to believe he couldn’t “crack the code” on the character. It’s not like it’s something he has nothing to base it off of. There’s a ton of source material and he’s no stranger to comics/superhero films.
By that logic, we should’ve definitely had a good Fantastic Four movie by now.

Rough conceptual outlines can change and falter when you start digging into the tone, themes, and antagonist. Batgirl doesn’t seem like an easy character to get up on the big screen, especially when you think about her coexisting with Batman.
Old 02-22-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? Not sure I get the Fantastic Four analogy. We haven’t had a name attached to any of the films who knows/has written a lot of comic material. It’s not like he’s a stranger to that kind of thing.

I honestly don’t think a Batgirl film should be that complex to crack. Especially since it seemingly was going to be it’s own thing and not necessarily relying on Batman (so they wouldn’t have to tie it to the rest of the mess that is the DCEU).
Old 02-22-18, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

I'm not even sure how you have a Batgirl without tying her into Batman...
Old 02-22-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don’t at all. Plus if I remember correctly right around the time Justice League came out there were rumors of him being dropped from doing this film. Seems like that probably had some validity to it. It’s sort of like Geoff Johns. He technically wasn’t to blame either but his future involvement seems very quiet. It seems to me like WB is cleaning house of anyone they deem associated with failing them as quickly as possible.

There’s this article from November last year denying that he had been dropped. I doubt those rumors just came out of nowhere especially with today’s news.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/22/joss-whedon-batgirl/
I don't really see how rumors of Whedon being dropped back then mean that it's because of how Justice League turned out and the studio holding him accountable.

The comment about Justice League in the article you link to seem to be from the writer more then part of the actual rumor, so other then that there's no indication that that's the case.

I haven't paid as much attention to accusations and didn't know Whedon was named, but if so this seems much more likely.
Old 02-22-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Huh? Not sure I get the Fantastic Four analogy. We haven’t had a name attached to any of the films who knows/has written a lot of comic material. It’s not like he’s a stranger to that kind of thing.
Emphasis on the bold sentence: there’s a ton of FF source material to work with. If all that was required was using the prior stories, one of the three movie adaptations should’ve been a winner.

On top of that, the actual story writing and plotting really weren’t too hot in Avengers. The character interactions saved it. He was building Batgirl from the ground up, too, whereas several standalone Marvel movies did the backstory-building for him.

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not even sure how you have a Batgirl without tying her into Batman...
How do you make a standalone female-driven superhero movie about a heroine who essentially owes her existence to a (superior) male hero?

Code to crack.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 02-22-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

You would also need to factor in JK Simmons as Jim Gordon since he was introduced in Justice League.
Old 02-22-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Emphasis on the bold sentence: there’s a ton of FF source material to work with. If all that was required was using the prior stories, one of the three movie adaptations should’ve been a winner.

On top of that, the actual story writing and plotting really weren’t too hot in Avengers. The character interactions saved it. He was building Batgirl from the ground up, too, whereas several standalone Marvel movies did the backstory-building for him.
My point was more that the material is there and I’m sure Whedon isn’t a stranger to it. It’s debatable as to the quality of the Avengers films but they were serviceable films.

How do you make a standalone female-driven superhero movie about a heroine who essentially owes her existence to a (superior) male hero?

Code to crack.
It was never the ideal situation but given that this universe is already in play she probably wouldn’t have had an origin. Just plot a story based around the character. Doesn’t seem like a huge code to crack. Seems like the Nightwing film is moving along fine and I’d argue that character has more direct ties to Batman than Batgirl who’s more inspired by him.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-22-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't really see how rumors of Whedon being dropped back then mean that it's because of how Justice League turned out and the studio holding him accountable.

The comment about Justice League in the article you link to seem to be from the writer more then part of the actual rumor, so other then that there's no indication that that's the case.
It was definitely out there as a rumor. I knew I remembered it. I don’t think EW (say what you will about them but they don’t typically report on nothing) would have written an article for no reason.

I obviously have no concrete proof and am speculating but it seems awfully coincidental that this was rumored and then he steps down. Also let’s not put aside that this isn’t the first case of issues with a director involved with a DCEU film.
Old 02-22-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My point was more that the material is there and I’m sure Whedon isn’t a stranger to it. It’s debatable as to the quality of the Avengers films but they were serviceable films.
It’s very debatable.

Spoiler:
The Tesseract, Loki’s deceptive plan, and the deus ex machina of a nuclear missile amount to nonsense, among other stuff. And that’s considered to be the “good” Avengers movie.

It was never the ideal situation but given that this universe is already in play she probably wouldn’t have had an origin. Just plot a story based around the character. Doesn’t seem like a huge code to crack.
This isn’t Spider-man. The only iteration of Batgirl many (most?) people have seen is Alicia Silverstone. She needs a story.
Old 02-22-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn’t care less about this movie, but my favorite behind the scenes theory is that there never was a Batgirl movie to begin with. That this was all just a smokescreen for his coming on to direct JL after Snyder got fired.
Old 02-22-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It’s very debatable.

Spoiler:
The Tesseract, Loki’s deceptive plan, and the deus ex machina of a nuclear missile amount to nonsense, among other stuff. And that’s considered to be the “good” Avengers movie.
I mean I know they’re not perfect films and truthfully I’m not a huge fan of either film but I think they’re good. I actually prefer Age of Ultron in some ways to be honest. I at least think he’s talented enough to deliver a good film under normal circumstances (which Justice League clearly wasn’t delivered under).

This isn’t Spider-man. The only iteration of Batgirl many (most?) people have seen is Alicia Silverstone. She needs a story.
The Alicia Silverstone version is so far removed at this point that I’d hardly consider it a factor. Like I said introducing certain characters the way the DCEU has been established thus far is far from ideal but I’d imagine the solo film would have started with her established already. You probably could work in some flashbacks or maybe a prologue that gives her backstory. Also again doing a Batgirl film shouldn’t be any harder than a Nightwing film who’s a character much more directly tied to Batman.
Old 02-22-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is going to fall into the cancellation pile with a lot of the other films previously announced.

P.S. I think they should make a 15 minute Booster Gold short that reboots the entire thing.
Old 02-22-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This is going to fall into the cancellation pile with a lot of the other films previously announced.

P.S. I think they should make a 15 minute Booster Gold short that reboots the entire thing.
I wouldn’t doubt if it it does land up in the pile of announced but in development hell projects along with half the other announcements that will probably never see the light of day.
Old 02-22-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It was definitely out there as a rumor. I knew I remembered it. I don’t think EW (say what you will about them but they don’t typically report on nothing) would have written an article for no reason.

I obviously have no concrete proof and am speculating but it seems awfully coincidental that this was rumored and then he steps down. Also let’s not put aside that this isn’t the first case of issues with a director involved with a DCEU film.
I'm not discounting the rumor itself from a few months ago, i'm simply saying there was no indication that it was due to him being blamed for Justice League.

Again, the wording of the EW article is basically "Justice League isn't doing well so the rumor is believable" and not "Justice League is doing bad so it's Joss Whedon's fault."

Any searches online that I can find regarding this from November seem to just point back to EW but I can't find the original source of the rumor.

http://collider.com/joss-whedon-dire...atgirl-rumors/
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/report-...arner-brothers

Unless you can find something otherwise, it seems like you're jumping to a massive conclusion that doesn't seem to have any merit other then your own speculation. I could be wrong, I just can't find anything that lends support to your claim.
Old 02-22-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I mean I know they’re not perfect films and truthfully I’m not a huge fan of either film but I think they’re good. I actually prefer Age of Ultron in some ways to be honest. I at least think he’s talented enough to deliver a good film under normal circumstances (which Justice League clearly wasn’t delivered under).
They're entertaining enough, but they aren't testaments to Whedon's ability to craft a story.

(I, too, prefer Ultron from a story perspective).

The Alicia Silverstone version is so far removed at this point that I’d hardly consider it a factor. Like I said introducing certain characters the way the DCEU has been established thus far is far from ideal but I’d imagine the solo film would have started with her established already. You probably could work in some flashbacks or maybe a prologue that gives her backstory. Also again doing a Batgirl film shouldn’t be any harder than a Nightwing film who’s a character much more directly tied to Batman.
Strange as this might sound, I'm not in much agreement about Nightwing.

A large portion of the reason why "Nightwing" exists instead of Robin is because Grayson needed his own entity and to achieve his own goals, even going so far as to focus on a different city, Bludhaven. He's built to stand alone, with or without a few flashbacks revealing his prior identity.

Batgirl, on the other hand, remains in Gotham and is the daughter of the city's police commissioner, and even has "BAT" in her name. It's quite difficult to separate her from Batman, and her name even indicates that she's a female -- perhaps younger, since she isn't "Batwoman" -- version of the main hero.

Semi-related: I'd love to see a Kate Kane movie.
Old 02-22-18, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

So this frees him up to take over X-men?
Old 02-22-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

I guess he probably had a very rough idea of what he wanted to do when he pitched this, but when it came to actually sitting down at a computer and constructing a script, it was probably easier said than done.

He even was quoted as saying that he "failed"

None of us here have written scripts before, so saying it should have been easy for him is a bit of an overstatement.

I read a quote from a director once when he sees a script, he always has to ask himself two questions:

1) Is this film-able?

2) Can I make this movie with the amount of money they are giving me?
Old 02-22-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said easy, I just think he’s capable of it. For the record I don’t blame him. This reeks of typical WB over management and at the same time mismanagement of the DC properties. I could be wrong but I don’t think the story that’s out is the full one.
Old 02-22-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strange as this might sound, I'm not in much agreement about Nightwing.

A large portion of the reason why "Nightwing" exists instead of Robin is because Grayson needed his own entity and to achieve his own goals, even going so far as to focus on a different city, Bludhaven. He's built to stand alone, with or without a few flashbacks revealing his prior identity.
I can see your point here somewhat but the thing is the Dick Grayson character should really be done justice and I’d like to see his full evolution into Nightwing. Starting as Robin and eventually wanting to gain his own identity rather than just as Batman’s partner. There’s a ton you can do there. He can work on his own without the backstory and without Batman involvement but I feel much the same about Batgirl.

Batgirl, on the other hand, remains in Gotham and is the daughter of the city's police commissioner, and even has "BAT" in her name. It's quite difficult to separate her from Batman, and her name even indicates that she's a female -- perhaps younger, since she isn't "Batwoman" -- version of the main hero.

Semi-related: I'd love to see a Kate Kane movie.
One thing with Batgirl I’ve always felt is that she kind of stands alone though and isn’t always necessarily part of Batman’s team. She’s inspired by him and works alongside him at certain points in her career but even though they’re both Gotham heroes she can be off on her own. You could get away with references to Batman or some short scenes but I don’t necessarily think you need him there for her film to work.
Old 02-23-18, 10:40 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

I guess all it takes to be considered for the job is a tweet?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gay does not have a screenwriting credit, though she regularly contributes to major outlets with cultural criticism and TV recaps and wrote the Black Panther: World of Wakanda comics series. The prolific writer is editing the 2017 edition of Best American Short Stories, and is also compiling a new book of essays about rape culture, Not That Bad, which features dozens of contributors and will be released on May 1.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.