DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Lana Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/639383-matrix-resurrections-2021-d-lana-wachowski-s-reeves-moss.html)

tylergfoster 01-23-11 03:34 PM

The Matrix Resurrections (2021, D: Lana Wachowski) S: Reeves, Moss

A reader report of Keanu Reeves at a screening, from AICN: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48199

Says he met the Wachowski's (no emphasis on the word brothers), for lunch over Christmas and stated that they had completed work on a two picture script treatment that would see him return to the world of the matrix as Neo. Says the brothers have met with Jim Cameron to discuss the pro's and con's of 3D and are looking to deliver something which has never been seen again. keanu stated that he still has an obligation to the fans to deliver a movie worthy of the title "The Matrix" and he swears this time that the treatment will truly revolutionise the action genre like the first movie. Wachowski's are working on a movie called "Cloud Atlas" at the moment, once that concludes they will talk again.
To be quite honest, as a project I never considered would honestly happen (based on the reception of the sequels), I find myself surprisingly open to the idea of making more if the idea is good. The universe and style of The Matrix was and still is intriguing to me even if the story of the sequels was lackluster, and I also like that, thanks to The Animatrix and the various games, the way Keanu phrases it makes it sound less like a sequel (despite the thread title) and more like further films set in the universe. Can't imagine where this would be going, so I'm intrigued to, at the very least, hear more about it.

gmanca 01-23-11 03:39 PM

Re: The Matrix 4?

Only way I can see this working is if it's aliens vs the machines. Anything else is a rehash.

Shazam 01-23-11 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10603936)
Only way I can see this working is if it's aliens vs the machines. Anything else is a rehash.

How about Predator versus Machines?

gmanca 01-23-11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 10603950)
How about Predator versus Machines?

Ha, I know it's a bit absurd but really, another movie about the machine human dynamic? Even if the films sucked, they did fully resolve the whole struggle between the two. To continue would be to reset the whole storyline and that's a bit weak.

If not aliens, then maybe there's a cluster of robots that were not a part of the matrix and lived with humans in peace? Really, it's all a bit much to continue.

Now BSG Toasters vs the Matrix bots, I'm there.

PopcornTreeCt 01-23-11 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10603927)
A reader report of Keanu Reeves at a screening, from AICN: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48199 To be quite honest, as a project I never considered would honestly happen (based on the reception of the sequels), I find myself surprisingly open to the idea of making more if the idea is good. The universe and style of The Matrix was and still is intriguing to me even if the story of the sequels was lackluster, and I also like that, thanks to The Animatrix and the various games, the way Keanu phrases it makes it sound less like a sequel (despite the thread title) and more like further films set in the universe. Can't imagine where this would be going, so I'm intrigued to, at the very least, hear more about it.

Agreed. I think the Matrix universe is ripe for great storytelling and they could possibly make an amazing 4th film. Also, a 3D Matrix film is the only idea I've heard to get me intrigued in 3D.

Robert 01-23-11 04:03 PM

This guy really wants to play Neo again?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lA36yGer79...reeves+sad.jpg

fumanstan 01-23-11 04:05 PM

I'd watch it.

Boba Fett 01-23-11 04:17 PM

I give him a lot of credit for fully admitting the sequels were not what the fans deserved. I liked them, despite critical consensus, but felt the back-to-back filming was definitely a hinderance to their potential.

RocShemp 01-23-11 04:37 PM

I'd watch it. And Keanu'd still be in fighting shape thanks to his training for 47 Ronin.

Boba Fett 01-23-11 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10604138)
I'd watch it. And Keanu'd still be in fighting shape thanks to his training for 47 Ronin.

Wait, from that IMDB listing it looks like he's playing a Japanese character in a cast of Japanese actors. WTF?

GenPion 01-23-11 04:50 PM

I'd be there. I actually liked the sequels once I got past the fact they failed to live up to the first one.

I'm probably one of the few people that thought The Matrix Revolutions was far better than The Matrix Reloaded.

Sonic 01-23-11 04:51 PM

I love all the Matrix films. Great action all around. Got no problem with them.

I always felt that there had to be another sequel though, Neo could not go out like that. So this is great news to hear! I would love to see a 4th one. Especially if they can make it like the first which is the most solid one in the trilogy. :thumbsup:

Boba Fett 01-23-11 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 10604180)
I'd be there. I actually liked the sequels once I got past the fact they failed to live up to the first one.

I'm probably one of the few people that thought The Matrix Revolutions was far better than The Matrix Reloaded.

Throw me in that camp too. I find myself watching segments of Reloaded over, whereas I've watched Revolutions two to three times on DVD.

The only thing I didn't care for about Revolutions was portions of the final fight,
but from a story point, the absurdity made sense.

Dragon Tattoo 01-23-11 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10604178)
Wait, from that IMDB listing it looks like he's playing a Japanese character in a cast of Japanese actors. WTF?

Well, he is part Japanese.

Solid Snake 01-23-11 05:29 PM

I'd be game for more if it had a story that wasn't full of itself like Revolutions. Reloaded was great w/ the action. Revolution didn't have enough of it..and I hated Zion. I understand why it's there but it's pretty boring and not compelling enough to make me give a damn about it. It looked boring and unrealistic for what I'd really expect humans to make out of the situation they had to do so. Too improbable in other words.

kd5 01-23-11 05:38 PM

I liked all 3 Matrix films, I'm game for another...:thumbsup: -kd5-

Tarantino 01-23-11 06:00 PM

I loved 1 & 2, but hated 3. I'd be interested in a new one.

Fist of Doom 01-23-11 06:05 PM

Have I wandered onto the wrong website? I thought hating the Matrix sequels was mandatory around here.

Loved Reloaded, liked Revolutions. Would definitely be down for more.

Supermallet 01-23-11 06:06 PM

Well, I'm obviously in if it's good. But how is Neo back? Does this take place between the first and the second movie? Are we going to get some shitty retcon? Are they going to pull a Star Trek 09?

Oh, and put me on record as saying the sequels were lazy and not worthy of the Matrix title. The Animatrix was mainly good, though.

Ash Ketchum 01-23-11 06:14 PM

I'd prefer another Animatrix.
9 or 10 more Matrix-related stories by the same animators.
That would get me excited, not another empty big-budget live-action Keanu-centric sequel.

PopcornTreeCt 01-23-11 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10604433)
Well, I'm obviously in if it's good. But how is Neo back? Does this take place between the first and the second movie? Are we going to get some shitty retcon? Are they going to pull a Star Trek 09?

Oh, and put me on record as saying the sequels were lazy and not worthy of the Matrix title. The Animatrix was mainly good, though.

I always imagined that when Morpheus talked about other "the ones" they all looked like Neo. Sort of like a reincarnation thing. I could see him playing a new "one" or something like that.

tylergfoster 01-23-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 10604450)
I'd prefer another Animatrix.
9 or 10 more Matrix-related stories by the same animators.
That would get me excited, not another empty big-budget live-action Keanu-centric sequel.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10604461)
I always imagined that when Morpheus talked about other "the ones" they all looked like Neo. Sort of like a reincarnation thing. I could see him playing a new "one" or something like that.

Also, I know it's just random phrasing on the part of the poster, but "would see him return as Neo" gives me thoughts of a movie where he plays a major supporting, but not lead role.

Boba Fett 01-23-11 07:59 PM

Revolutions blatantly left Neo's return a possibility

Michael Corvin 01-23-11 08:01 PM

I really dug the second one, but haven't seen Revolutions since I saw it in the theater even though I've owned it on both DVD and Blu in various box sets.

I would be down for a couple more though... if they are done well.

gmanca 01-23-11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 10604696)
Revolutions blatantly left Neo's return a possibility

For what real purpose?