Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Warner Bros. Was Making R-Rated Comic Book Movies Before It Was Cool"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-10-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Exactly!!! I've been sayin' this!

WAR-NER!! WAR-NER!! WAR-NER!!

Full story here

The notion that Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. and DC Films are apparently “100%” willing to make R-rated comic book superhero movies shouldn’t come as a surprise. The Wrap got that juicy quote yesterday. Thogh[sic] we probably won't get an R-rated Wonder Twins adventure (though I would watch), it is worth remembering that Warner Bros. has already released several high-profile R-rated comic book and superhero movies. They were doing it before 20th Century Fox made it hip with Kingsman: The Secret Service and Deadpool.
Old 03-10-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: "Warner Bros. Was Making R-Rated Comic Book Movies Before It Was Cool"

The Blade movies, Watchmen, 300, a History of Violence, Road to Perdition are just an example of R rated comic book/graphic novel movies. So yes its nothing new.
Old 03-10-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Yeah it's nothing new, it's more R-rated Marvel which is the big thing now.

300 was a big success, the first couple Blade movies have their fans.

Since HoV and RtP are graphic novels with no super powers I generally separate those.
Old 03-10-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts

Oh Warner, keep on keepin' on. While yes they made films like 300 and Watchmen those are hardly traditional comic book films. Yeah they're based on graphic novels but in terms of superhero R rated films you can look at Blade as the first really big time character to get an R rating on film.
Old 03-10-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
The Blade movies, Watchmen, 300, a History of Violence, Road to Perdition are just an example of R rated comic book/graphic novel movies. So yes its nothing new.
That article is trying too hard.
It's obvious that WB, as well as Marvel, have been hesitant to make their mainstream superhero comic book movies R-rated because most of these properties have been marketed as kids entertainment for decades. When people discuss this, that's what they're referring to, not Road to Perdition or 300. Why not include Ghost World while we're at it too? American Splendor?

The writer is letting his fanboy tendencies or WB cheerleading affect the quality of his article.

The notion that Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. and DC Films are apparently “100%” willing to make R-rated comic book superhero movies shouldn’t come as a surprise.
The anonymous insider is talking about superhero comic book movies, so why bring up non-superhero movies for? He even brings up regular R-rated Warner Bros. movies like American Sniper to support his argument.

And I guess New World Pictures and Disney were doing R-Rated comic book movies before it was cool too.

Punisher 1989 (New World Pictures).

The Crow in 1994 (using the writer's reasoning, Miramax was bought out by Disney in '93, and since Disney now owns Marvel that should count).

The author also conveniently leaves out the time another WB insider said that Watchmen's poor performance put a stop to R-Rated superhero films.

How much of the movie going market - specifically those that go to see superhero/genre films - is cut out by rating a film R versus a PG-13? Warner Bros. thinks too much and is said to be focusing solely on PG-13 rated superhero/tent pole films only, definitely harder than the "family friendly" superhero films of Fantastic Four but not in the R rated range. Think about it, the movie going audience is "huge", now the genre/superhero movie going audience is a portion of that "huge" and the R rated/genre/superhero movie going audience is an even smaller portion of that "huge." It makes a lot of sense to make the movie for the largest audience possible and still respect the property.
It's not surprising that DC is willing to make an R-rated superhero film. “One hundred percent yes. With the right character(s).” But not because they've done it at times in the past but because they saw that a significant profit can be made today, after seeing the box office performance of Fox's Deadpool and Logan.

If anything, it just shows that the WB/DC of today, in regards to their mainstream superhero properties, is committed to just copying trends.

Last edited by brayzie; 03-10-17 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-10-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah they're based on graphic novels but in terms of superhero R rated films you can look at Blade as the first really big time character to get an R rating on film.
A good argument can be made that the success of Blade gave way to Marvel's success with superhero films. Before that DC was king and Marvel only had 1989's Punisher and that '90s Captain America film with an Italian Red Skull. Maybe Blade played a part in Fox going through with X-Men. I'd argue that the fact that Blade was considered a C-list superhero is what helped get it an R-Rating, same goes for the original Punisher movie. If they thought they could make toys, lunch boxes, etc from those films, they probably would have been rated PG-13.

Blade is in my list of top 5 Marvel superhero films.
Old 03-10-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

Oh Warner, keep on keepin' on. While yes they made films like 300 and Watchmen those are hardly traditional comic book films. Yeah they're based on graphic novels but in terms of superhero R rated films you can look at Blade as the first really big time character to get an R rating on film.
Old 03-10-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The author seems to makes a lot loose associations, and purposely misinterprets things in order to make his approx. 1000 article word count.

He has another article arguing that Deadpool is not the first "Hard-R' Rated Superhero" (presumably because it's a superhero film that has excessive profanity, violence AND nudity) because he took issue with an Entertainment Weekly headline.

He includes a list of non-superhero films that are based on comic books, or comic book/superhero based properties that don't really push the R-rating (Stallone's Judge Dredd for example). He even brings up films that weren't even based on comic books like Robocop, The Matrix and Darkman.
I think Kick-Ass, Watchmen and the Punisher films would count as the first "hard-R rated" superheroes but referring to Sin City and 300 as "non-superpowered superheroes" is stretching it.
Old 03-10-17, 03:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I can't believe the level of writing they allow in Forbes now.
Old 03-10-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds to me like someone at Warners is looking for a way for them to start dipping their toes back into the R Rated super hero field and not immediately get flak from simply copying off Marvels success....again.

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the opening of the thread was the 80s Punisher movie and Blade. Blade especially does not get enough credit for really kick starting the modern day super hero craze.

As people have mentioned the trick to doing a great R rated movie is to make sure that the character fits in that kind of a world. Batman could certainly work. Superman...not so much (unless they really went balls to the wall and did something like Kingdom Come, but even that could be done PG13). I think Marvel has a larger catalogue of characters that could fit into an R rated movie than D.C. The only other character that comes to mind for D.C. is Lobo. I hope D.C. just gets its act together with its long term plan instead of trying to emulate successes they see at Marvel.
Old 03-10-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

What happened to the Warner edict after Watchmen bombed - "No more R-Rated tentpole films."
Old 03-10-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,256 Likes on 865 Posts

I'm hoping we see the Wonder Twins in an R-rated Wonder Woman film.
Old 03-10-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Warner Brothers under Alan Horn and others (like Jeff Robinov) is a much different Warner Brothers being ran by Kevin Tsujihara and Toby Emmerich.

As we already saw, the R-rated edit of Batman v Superman was still a dumpster fire.
Old 03-10-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah they're based on graphic novels but in terms of superhero R rated films you can look at Blade as the first really big time character to get an R rating on film.
Outside of comic book readers no one knew who Blade was before the movie came out so I wouldn't exactly call him a big time character. A C-Lister at best prior to the movie.
Old 03-10-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wolverine has always been a bloody sadistic and ruthless animal in the comic books of X-Men. They just softened up these superheroes a few years ago and now realizing that back then they were more bad ass and had more potential.

Back then when there was no holding back on freedom. Some of these characters have been greatly sterilized by society and it's time to unchain them.
Old 03-10-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Disney has no intention of moving into R territory with their Marvel properties. They view that brand as a young boys demo, which is why they haven't started cramming female leads down our throats with their Marvel movies yet.

Warner seems perfectly content to let the television cartoons serve as the vehicle for their DC properties to children. They target older teenagers and adults with their DC theatrical movies.

Fox gets nothing from X-Men or Fantastic Four toy sales, which is why they are driven to make edgier superhero movies. Hindsight is 20/20 but going R-rated may be the Fantastic Four's only hope at regaining theatrical relevance.
Old 03-10-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice breakdown PhantomStranger. I never even thought of that. There were no toys made from the X-Men: Apocalypse movie or for DOFP.
Old 03-10-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
Nice breakdown PhantomStranger. I never even thought of that. There were no toys made from the X-Men: Apocalypse movie or for DOFP.
It's rumored that toy executives have full veto power over most comic book movies. Studios can make more money from the toys than the actual movie, even giant hits. It's what made Lucas a billionaire.

Fox's movie deal didn't include toy rights, which is why we aren't getting an onslaught of X-Men movies.
Old 03-10-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's rumored that toy executives have full veto power over most comic book movies. Studios can make more money from the toys than the actual movie, even giant hits. It's what made Lucas a billionaire.

Fox's movie deal didn't include toy rights, which is why we aren't getting an onslaught of X-Men movies.
I see what you did there...
Old 03-10-17, 07:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Disney has no intention of moving into R territory with their Marvel properties. They view that brand as a young boys demo, which is why they haven't started cramming female leads down our throats with their Marvel movies yet.
Captain Marvel is on the docket, right?

There were two X-Men movies last year and another one already out, and when is Deadpool and the next main X-Men title coming out? Seems like Fox is pumping these out pretty regularly, despite not having toy rights.
Old 03-10-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

The Crow and Blade were the first two that came to mind. I didn't think anyone was under the impression that Deadpool and Logan were the first two successful R-rated comic book flicks.
Old 03-11-17, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I see what you did there...
I was wondering if anyone would catch that.
Originally Posted by Supermallet
Captain Marvel is on the docket, right?
Supposedly coming 2019 for Marvel. Marvel just doesn't have many bankable female superheroes and the ones they do have are with Fox (Storm and Invisible Woman) or Universal (She-Hulk).
Old 03-11-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 317 Posts

On this topic Suicide Squad could have and should have been rated R. If the rumors of Mel Gibson directing a sequel are true, WBs should let him make it an R.
Old 03-11-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts

The thing is though (and I hope WB gets this though I'm not sure if they do) an R rating isn't going to automatically make a better film. A film like Suicide Squad for instance has much more problems with its story than anything to do with it needing an R rating.

Same can really be said for Batman V Superman. The ultimate edition happens to be a better film but it's not because of the rating it's because it fleshed out some of the story more. It's not better because of some extra blood, the word fuck uttered once, and seeing Affleck's ass in the shower.

If an R rating serves the character and story being told that's cool but it doesn't automatically mean better. In DC's mind where everything has to be dark and serious I hope that they actually get that and don't just think that because Fox did it twice with success it will work for them. The problem at this point that I have is with their track record I'm not confident in believing that's not their line of thought.
Old 03-11-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

So R-rated Lego Batman sequel?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.