Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Post (2017, D: Spielberg) S: Hanks, Streep -- Pentagon Papers drama

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-06-17, 01:53 PM

Received 4,692 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep are teaming with Steven Spielberg on the Pentagon Papers drama, The Post.

The feature will focus on the Washington Post's role in publishing the infamous study about the America's role in the Vietnam War, centering on the work of Post editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks) and publisher Kay Graham (Streep).

Spielberg will direct from a spec script by Liz Hannah, which was initially picked up by Amy Pascal to produce through her Pascal Pictures banner.

Pascal and Spielberg will produce, along with and Kristie Macosko Krieger. Fox and Amblin Entertainment will co-finance the feature, with Fox handling domestic distribution and Amblin taking on international duties.

Currently, Spielberg is in post-production on Ready Player One and has a number of projects lined up, including The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara and the fifth Indiana Jones installment.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20170306
Old 03-06-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
re: The Post (2017, D: Spielberg) S: Hanks, Streep -- Pentagon Papers drama

Let's just save everyone time and give Hanks, Streep and Spielberg their Oscars right now.
Old 06-06-17, 01:15 PM

Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Matthew Rhys, Bradley Whitford, Carrie Coon, Jesse Plemons, David Cross, Alison Brie, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Zach Woods have joined the ensemble of Steven Spielberg’s “The Papers,” which already stars Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep. The film centers on the Washington Post’s decision to publish the classified Pentagon Papers in 1971.

Formerly known as “The Post,” the movie is a co-production between Amblin Entertainment and Fox. The film has been fast-tracked with the hope of making this year’s awards season race, with production already underway.

The movie will see a limited release on Dec. 22 and go wide on Jan. 12, 2018.

Amy Pascal’s Pascal Pictures purchased the spec from Liz Hannah last fall, with Pascal on board to produce along with Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger. Rachel O’Connor will executive produce with Star Thrower Entertainment’s Tim and Trevor White, and Adam Somner.

The pic will be co-financed by Fox and Amblin Entertainment. Fox will handle domestic distribution; international will be Amblin, through its output deals with Universal, eOne, Reliance, and others.

The Pentagon Papers made headlines prior to publication when the Post’s editor Ben Bradlee and publisher Kay Graham challenged the federal government over their right to publish them.

Together, the two formed an unlikely team, as they were forced to come together and make the bold decision to support The New York Times and fight the Nixon Adminstration’s unprecedented attempt to restrict the first amendment.

Hanks would play Bradlee and Streep would play Graham. Both actors, who are repped by CAA, are coming off critically acclaimed roles, with Streep receiving her 20th Oscar nomination for her performance in “Florence Foster Jenkins,” and Hanks earning high praise for “Sully.”

Whitford recently signed on to Legendary’s sequel “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” and most recently starred in Jordan Peele’s box office smash “Get Out.” He’s represented by Greenlight Management and ICM Partners.

Paulson recently starred in “American Horror Story: Roanoke” and “The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story,” where she played Marcia Clark and won an Emmy in the best lead actress in a limited series category. She recently wrapped production on “Ocean’s Eight.” She is repped by CAA.

Odenkirk can currently be seen on AMC’s “Better Call Saul,” which is earning him rave reviews yet again and is likely to put him in the mix for best actor this Emmy season. He is repped by WME and Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment.

Rhys can still be seen on FX’s “The Americans,” which just wrapped its fifth season and is expected to be a player in this year’s Emmy season. He also earned rave reviews for his guest role in the final season of HBO’s “Girls.” He is repped by WME and United Agents.

Coon has had strong spring on the small screen receiving critical acclaim for her role in FX’s “Fargo” and the final season of “The Leftovers.” She is repped by UTA and Jason Kendziera Management.

Brie can currently be seen in “The Family Man” opposite Gerard Butler and also has the New Line comedy “The Disaster Artist” bowing later this year. She is repped by WME and Rise Management.

Plemons can be seen next in Scott Cooper’s “Hostiles” followed by the New Line comedy “Game Night.” He is repped by Talentworks. Stuhlbarg can currently be seen in FX’s “Fargo” and also has the Hulu series “The Looming Tower” shooting later this year. He is repped by ICM Partners and Viking Entertainment.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/st...ys-1202454085/
Old 06-06-17, 01:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

This guy is gonna love it.
Old 06-06-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow that is an insanely great cast, for what sounds like a really dull movie.
Old 06-06-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,406 Likes on 4,384 Posts

Hey, the casts of Fargo, People vs OJ Simpson and The Americans are all hopping aboard this project. It's like an FX-gasim of prestige drama actors.
Old 06-06-17, 02:50 PM

Mary Steenburgen, surrounded by Ben Bradlees :
Old 06-06-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I initially thought Wall Street would be dull but it turned out pretty well.
Old 06-06-17, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 579 Likes on 359 Posts

Seems like a film that is made just to win awards. Was Clint Eastwood not available to direct so Spielberg took over?
Old 06-06-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

So I'm guessing Odenkirk would be cast as Daniel Ellsberg.
Old 11-08-17, 06:30 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nrXlY6gzTTM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-08-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Post (2017, D: Spielberg) S: Hanks, Streep -- Pentagon Papers drama

I'm interested. It's something I heard about when I was young so it'll be good to a way to see the events through a Spielberg movie.
Old 11-08-17, 09:34 AM
Banned

This guy heard about the title change, and he is OUT!
Old 11-08-17, 11:21 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Ok, so it looks like it could be decent.

Watched Jaws last night and it just struck me that as good as he still is, young Spielberg was just a better director. There was a messiness, and a clatter, and a realism to Jaws, so many scenes with people talking over each other or at the same time, and people looked normal and average that it felt like real events being filmed.

When you watch this trailer, every shot is framed dramatically, every hair and piece of clothing is perfect, its all so neat and packaged. It may very well still be awesome but I do miss the realism and rawness of the way movies used to be filmed even by a technician like Spielberg.

Jaws holds up shockingly well by the way.
Old 11-08-17, 10:04 PM
Banned

Yes, there is a cold precision about his recent work.
Old 12-07-17, 03:23 PM

Wow, Jeffery Wells of Hollywood-Elsewhere, a noted Spielberg-hater absolutely loved this picture :

Most Engaging, Agreeable Spielberg Flick In 20 Years

Speaking as one who’s had problems with Steven Spielberg films (or at least with the manipulative lather and chain-pullings that Spielberg has insinctually applied) for the entire 21st Century and a good part of the 20th, The Post, a smartly written, well-performed tale of how and why Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham (Meryl Streep) decided to man up and a grow a pair in the thick of the Pentagon Papers episode of June 1971, is far and away my favorite Spielberg film since Saving Private Ryan, which opened 19 and 1/2 years ago. Call it Spielberg’s best, certainly his least problematic, in two decades.

The critical verdict hasn’t been unanimous but I fell for it, and I mean all the way through and not just during the manipulative third act, which, if you have any stored-up sentiment about the glory days of 20th century print-and-ink journalism, will definitely melt you down. I knew I was being sold a Spielbergian bill of goods but I bought it anyway. I gushed out some thoughts the day after, and a New York friend replied, “Calm down, Tonto…it’s very good but not great.”

The Post is a real “Spielberg film” in some ways, but it’s much smarter, better written (cheers to Liz Hannah and especially Josh Singer, who, I’m told, did a page-one rewrite of Hannah’s original spec draft), more persuasive and much more compellingly performed than Lincoln or Bridge of Spies or anything else Spielberg has made this century.

As much as I tend to resist Spielbergian devices (including his frequent habit of leaning on a swelling John Williams score), this one caught me. I knew I was being sold a bill of goods, that I was being asked to submit to an emotional tale about good-guy journalists in the tradition of Newsfront, Deadline USA and Jack Webb’s -30-, but I bought it.

There’s a third-act moment on the steps of the Supreme Court when Streep walks down into a crowd of gazing, admiring women…I’m not going to describe it any further but it really works, and (honestly?) it even made me choke up a bit. I’m naturally inclined to like any rigorously realistic film about good-guy journalists, but The Post delivered the strongest emotional experience I’ve had with any ’17 film since my initial Sundance viewing of Call Me By Your Name and my early September viewing of Greta Gerwig‘s Lady Bird.

This is why I think the Best Picture Oscar is going to come down to a choice between one of these three. I’m in the tank for Luca Guadagnino, of course, but if the Academy goes for The Post or Lady Bird, I will at least understand.

There’s a community of older industry voters (i.e., straight white guys) who may not want to vote for a gayish film two years in a row, and who may feel a tad resentful that The Post isn’t Spotlight-y enough or not a close enough kin of All The President’s Men, and these guys, I suspect, will go for Lady Bird or perhaps another favorite.

But at the end of the day I wouldn’t surprised if The Post takes the big prize. It has Tom Hanks costarring with Meryl, it’s boomer-friendly, and it really, really doesn’t like Donald Trump (who serves, of course is a present-tense substitute for Richard M. Nixon, the White House occupant who went to court to prevent the N.Y. Times and the Washington Post from printing summaries of Daniel Ellsberg‘s Pentagon Papers.

The performances by Streep, Hanks (as the legendary, raspy-voiced Post edtor Ben Bradlee) and especially Bob Odenkirk (who plays Post editor Ben Bagdikian, the guy who got in touch with Ellsberg after the initial N.Y. Times Pentagon Papers scoop and landed a copy for his Post colleagues) completely rule.

Does Williams’ score feel a little too emphatic at times? Towards the end, yeah. But it’s not as annoyingly over-scored as his Amistad score.

I missed Alan Pakula’s brighter, slightly more colorful design of the Washington Post newsroom from All The President’s Men. The reds, in particular. Spielberg’s house cinematographer Janusz Kaminski always goes for that grayer, murkier color scheme.

My New York “Tonto” friend said, “I think you’re slightly agog. Remember it’s not about priests assaulting eight year olds or about Watergate. It’s about a report that a paper decided to print. There’s a reason this story hasn’t been told before. It doesn’t feel all that compelling on its own steam. Unless a lot of famous actors portraying regular-guy journalists sitting in a Georgetown townhouse buying overpriced lemonade…it’s not compelling unless these actors tell us that it is.”

Another critic friend: “It never made me tingle the way Spotlight or All the President’s Men did. Plus it has too many Spielberg-y touches: the little girl selling lemonade (Jesus!), that [redacted] ending. It all felt forced rather than organic, despite strong performances from Streep and Hanks.

“It was also two hours of people going ‘We can’t do that!’ and others saying ‘We have to do that!’

“All in all it’s a solid three-star movie — but a long way from 3.5 or 4.”

A fourth critic friend (younger guy): “Another talky Spielberg political drama in somewhat the same vein as Lincoln and Bridge of Spies. Old fashioned Hollywood craftsmanship. Sielberg is clearly going through a Victor Fleming phase, one of his idols, or, dare I say it, a Stanley Kramer phase as well, another favorite of his. Streep clearly overshadows Hanks here despite both sharing equal amounts of screen time.

“Bob Odenkirk is the supporting actor MVP. Kaminski photography wasn’t too intrusive, but John Williams’ score was atrocious. By-the-books drama that goes along just fine, has a few powerful scenes here and there. I really liked how it just zipped along, not wasting any time between scenes.

“Overall if this wins Best Picture Oscar it’ll be because of the current political parallels than it being ‘the best of the year.'”
Old 12-07-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stuckmann gave it a B. He felt the first half dragged a bit getting everything set up. But, he thought the second half was great.
Old 01-12-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: The Post (2017, D: Spielberg) S: Hanks, Streep -- Pentagon Papers dram

This was pretty good. Definitely well made and acted. Streep and Hanks are as good as always but I quite liked Bob Odenkirk’s supporting role. I would say it’s a bit on the slow side to start with like Stuckmann mentioned but the ending does pick up. Overall I’d say it’s worth seeing.
Old 01-13-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

My husband spoiled the ending (whether they would publish the papers or not) for me while watching the trailer

I love movies and he hates going so everytime he wants to see something we jump at it. We'll be catching this one (last one was Darkest Hour).
Old 01-13-18, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 404 Likes on 270 Posts

I really enjoyed this. The only scene that made me chuckle due to its overwhelming corniness was when Meryl Streep was leaving the courthouse and she happened to walk through a steady stream of 40 or 50 women all of whom had a look of doe-eyed wonderment as she passed by. I thought they poured that on a bit too thick.

Also, CCR for Vietnam scenes is just way too on the nose at this point.

I loved how Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were both part of Tom Hanks inner circle at the newspaper. IF I'M NO DAVID SCHWIMMER YOU'RE NO JENNIFER ANISTON. Mr Show represent!

Also, I thought the use of Tricky Dick's Whitehouse recordings were used to great effect.

I thought it was a solid 4/5.
Old 01-14-18, 07:42 AM

How the hell do you cast Sarah Paulson in your movie and restrict her to the kitchen making sandwiches!?!
Old 01-14-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
How the hell do you cast Sarah Paulson in your movie and restrict her to the kitchen making sandwiches!?!
Right! She should have played Nixon, dammit!!!
Old 01-15-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I really enjoyed this. The only scene that made me chuckle due to its overwhelming corniness was when Meryl Streep was leaving the courthouse and she happened to walk through a steady stream of 40 or 50 women all of whom had a look of doe-eyed wonderment as she passed by. I thought they poured that on a bit too thick.

Also, CCR for Vietnam scenes is just way too on the nose at this point.

I loved how Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were both part of Tom Hanks inner circle at the newspaper. IF I'M NO DAVID SCHWIMMER YOU'RE NO JENNIFER ANISTON. Mr Show represent!

Also, I thought the use of Tricky Dick's Whitehouse recordings were used to great effect.

I thought it was a solid 4/5.
Pretty much my thoughts. The scene with Streep at the Supreme Court was trademark Spielberg sappiness. I too find it annoying that nobody seems to know how to use ANYONE but CCR for scenes in Vietnam. Just glad they didn't use "Run Through the Jungle" for the umpteenth time. Other than that, I really enjoyed the movie. One could almost argue that the supporting cast was an "Expendables" of premium cable TV series. My binge viewing nerd got a lot of satisfaction from the hotel scene with Bob Odenkirk and Matthew Rhys.
Speaking of Odenkirk, I think it's a shame he's not getting much consideration in awards circles. After Streep and Hanks he definitely qualifies as the third lead and does a solid supporting performance.
Old 01-15-18, 04:32 PM

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

Have not seen but wow...this popped bigly at the box office this past weekend...22 million! This is the pop that the folks keep waiting for to happen with All The Money In The World which is struggling (boxofficemojo.com says 36m worldwide which is not good considering with reshoots it was a pricey independent flick).
Old 01-16-18, 09:44 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I saw it over the long weekend. I was not impressed, but I don't care much for Spielberg generally. The problem with a movie like this is that the story's already known, I mean, it's not like it's a secret what happened to the Pentagon Papers, or to Daniel Ellsberg, or to Bradlee and The Washington Post. There's just very little overt suspense there. So, really, the only drama is internal, in the way, e.g., Katherine Graham faces her self doubt and stands up for herself and her paper, or the way she deals with her friendship with various leading political figures, or in the way Bradlee is able to corral people to his side of the argument. And, frankly, it didn't do any of that very well.

This doesn't even take into account the various historical inaccuracies, like, for instance, how The New York Times played an even bigger role in the drama than did the Post. I dunno - I mean, there's really no way to not compare this movie to All the President's Men, and it suffers horribly for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.