Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) -- Transformers spinoff -- S: Steinfeld, Cena

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) -- Transformers spinoff -- S: Steinfeld, Cena

Old 02-12-16, 07:31 PM

Word broke earlier today that Paramount Pictures had set release dates for three more Transformers movies set to roll out annually beginning in June 2017. It was initially reported that these films would be the fifth, sixth, and seventh entries in the franchise, but new details have emerged regarding the blueprint of the Transformers films moving forward and reveal that, though there will be seven movies, one of them is in fact a spin-off.

Speaking on an investor conference call for Toy Fair, Tom Warner, the Transformers franchise leader for Hasbro, revealed that the announced 2018 film is not Transformers 6 but actually a spin-off film focusing on the character Bumblebee, with Transformers 6 actually being the 2019 release.

“This summer we worked closely with a talented team of A-list screenwriters to map out the future of the Transformers cinematic universe, and as Brian announced earlier, things kick off in a major way in 2017 with the release of Transformers 5 in June. And we’re working on a spin-off movie centered around Bumblebee for 2018 and the next chapter for 2019.”

The Bumblebee spin-off is currently set to debut in theaters on June 8, 2018, where it will clash with Legendary’s Godzilla sequel. There are currently no details on who will write or direct the film. The voiceless member of the Autobots, Bumblebee has become a fan favorite since his debut in the 2007 Transformers film with initial reports on a film of his own popping up last year.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...qVzugYY60tQ.99
Old 02-12-16, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Re: Transformers -- Bumblebee spinoff (2018)

I, yi, yi... I don't know about kids today, but growing up, I always thought Bumblebee was one of the worst Transformers characters.

Maybe it's just me, but for the most part, it's the dominant bad guys that make action shows/movies really good.

They haven't done anything worthwhile with the Decepticons in this franchise, and I think that's a HUGE miss. That's were the best characters are.

Bumblebee is the feel good 'bot. Keep dumbing it down, ugh.
Old 02-12-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. As a kid I thought Bumblebee was weak as hell just off this cover:

Speaking of which...Bumblebee gets a movie and I'm still waiting for GI Joe 3.
Old 02-12-16, 11:12 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Make him a VW or no sale.
Old 02-12-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This guy was 1000x better than BumbleBee during G1.

Old 02-12-16, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
This guy was 1000x better than BumbleBee during G1.

Yep, most of the main Autobots were. Jazz, Wheeljack, Ironhide, Mirage, etc...

My favorite was Soundwave, but there were several good characters on that side too. I liked somehwhat how the movies turned out in terms of being able to bring them to the life, but they did miss the boat on with the characters - and inexplicably messed up the design of all of the Decepticons.

So much story they could have brought.... *sigh*
Old 03-02-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bumblebee (2018) -- Transformers spinoff -- D:Travis Knight

http://deadline.com/2017/03/bumblebe...gs-1202034882/

EXCLUSIVE: Bumblebee, the first spinoff of the Transformers franchise based on a popular character in the series, just landed as director Travis Knight, the helmer of the Oscar-nominated stop-motion animated success Kubo And The Two Strings. That film was Knight’s directing debut. Bumblebee would mark his first live-action film.

This time, Knight will be taking on a very different project, a big-budget 2018 tentpole for the studio. The screenplay, which emerged from Transformers director and Paramount’s writers room project, is from Christina Hodson. Lorenzo Di Bonaventure, Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg are producing.

Knight, the son of Nike founder Phil Knight, is also president and CEO of Laika. Based out of Portland, the animation house was founded about 11 years ago and since then has created high-quality and beautifully created features including The Boxtrolls, ParaNorman and Coraline. Along with Kubo, Boxtrolls was also nominated for an Oscar.
Old 03-02-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) -- Transformers spinoff -- S: Steinfeld, Cena

No... Knight's been doing great things with Laika. I wish he'd stay in his wheelhouse rather than come out of it to do something like this.
Old 03-02-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Bumblebee (2018, D: Travis Knight) -- Transformers spinoff -- S: Steinfeld, Cena

I'm fine with this. Was never into Transformers toys and cartoons. I think the movies were fun. Dark of the Moon being my favorite.

More happy that Michael Bay is taking a leaving. I know a lot of you guys don't like his movies. But he's a director I'm always looking forward to seeing. He's been doing Transformers after Transformers. Michael Bay bridged a gap between two generations of action films. And I'd love to experience something like Bad Boys or The Rock again. 13 Hours was good - but was grounded by the 'true story' and couldn't really let loose and have some fun.
Old 03-02-17, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully Bumblebee has his voice repaired again in this one. 2+ hours of radio/movie audio clips will get tiring fast!
Old 03-03-17, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Hopefully Bumblebee has his voice repaired again in this one. 2+ hours of radio/movie audio clips will get tiring fast!
I agree. In the cartoon he's always had a cool friendly voice.
Old 04-07-17, 01:43 PM

Things aren’t looking too great for Bumblebee in the trailers for Transformers: The Last Knight—he’s getting his transforming ass handed to him by Optimus Prime of all Autobot people. Which is why he’s probably looking forward to his spin-off movie, which will undoubtedly see him in happier circumstances for at least part of its runtime. The solo Bumblebee movie is slated for release some time in 2018, wedged between one of the many Transformers movies Michael Bay swears could get made.

We’ve got some new details on the project, which is rumored to begin production this summer. And Bay himself revealed to MTV that the movie will be a prequel that hearkens back to Bumblebee’s younger days, presumably when he had full control of his speech and didn’t have to rely on snippets from the radio. Not only that, but the film will “go a little younger. And it will be dealing more with his character and it’s just about him.” It makes sense for the film to skew younger, since Bumblebee is the character that thrills the kids far more than whatever midlife crisis Optimus Prime seems to be going through. There’s no confirmed date for the Bumblebee premiere, but Transformers: The Last Knight will hold court beginning June 23.
http://www.avclub.com/article/bumble...ocialMarketing
Old 04-07-17, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

It makes sense for the film to skew younger, since Bumblebee is the character that thrills the kids far more than whatever midlife crisis Optimus Prime seems to be going through.
Do today's kids actually like him from the movies? Maybe because the others don't get much development (other than Optimus Prime).

I know they focused on Bumblebee at lot in the G1 cartoon as the human interface, but I don't know anyone that actually liked him a lot. His toy was terrible.

Last edited by The Cow; 04-07-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He is my son's favorite character in the movie to the point where he would say (sign) that when he was older he was going to buy a yellow Camaro just like Bumblebee. He had tons of the toys and dressed up as him for Halloween for like 3 years straight. Had posters in his room as well.
Old 04-07-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Shia LaBeouf = No sale!
Old 04-07-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Do today's kids actually like him from the movies? Maybe because the others don't get much development (other than Optimus Prime).

I know they focused on Bumblebee at lot in the G1 cartoon as the human interface, but I don't know anyone that actually liked him a lot. His toy was terrible.

Yes, but a lot of the original toys were shitty.

Megatron:

Ironhide:

Old 04-07-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No Shia LaBeouf = No sale!
that's basically what his last movie did, NO SALE!
Old 04-08-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Yeah, it's gonna be a 2 hour infomercial on the Camaro.
Old 04-09-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Yes, but a lot of the original toys were shitty.
Thems fighting words!
Old 05-31-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hailee Steinfeld in Talks to Star in 'Transformers' Spinoff 'Bumblebee'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...blebee-1007548
Old 05-31-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I don't know the transformers universe. Is he an unreliable piece of shit?
Old 05-31-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess she'll be singing the main song for the film.

And Travis Knight? You mean this guy playing against Ludacris when he was a Golden State Warrior?

Old 05-31-17, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I don't know the transformers universe. Is he an unreliable piece of shit?
Bumblebee was a VW Bug originally. The Michael Bay movie made him a Camero.
Old 05-31-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has Michael Bay said if the new Transformers movie will be the last one he directs? I really hope so as I want to see him move on, I haven't seen 13 hours yet, but really enjoyed Pain and Gain.
Old 07-11-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JULY 11, 2017 2:15pm PT by Rebecca Ford
'Transformers' Spinoff 'Bumblebee' Casts Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as Male Lead (Exclusive)

Travis Knight, who directed the stop-motion movie 'Kubo and the Two Strings,' is directing the latest installment in the franchise.

Rising star Jorge Lendeborg Jr. is in talks for another big project: He'll play the young male lead in Paramount's Transformers spinoff Bumblebee.

Hailee Steinfeld also will star in the film which Travis Knight, who directed the stop-motion movie Kubo and the Two Strings, is helming.

Bumblebee is the yellow and black striped Autobot that appears as one of the main characters in the Transformers film series. Plot details have not been released, but Steinfeld will play a tomboy who also holds a job as a mechanic after school. Sources say the tale is a prequel to the main film series, focused on Bumblebee's life in an earlier decade. Christina Hodson (Shut In) wrote the script.

The movie project is the first spinoff in what the studio hopes will be a Transformers Cinematic Universe that will include prequels and offshoots from a line of movies that have generated more than $3.7 billion worldwide. The most recent film, Transformers: The Last Knight, hit theaters June 23, and has earned $495.7 million worldwide so far.

Bumblebee is slated for a June 8, 2018, release.

Lendeborg Jr. is a rising star, recently nabbing roles on several notable projects. He can currently be seen in Sony and Marvel's hit Spider-Man: Homecoming with Tom Holland. The actor, who made his feature debut starring in The Land, he also has booked roles in Robert Rodriguez's Alita: Battle Angel and upcoming YA project Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda at Fox 2000.

He is repped by Mosaic, Momentum Talent Agency and Dan Fox and Steve Warren at Hansen Jacobson.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.