Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before I Fall (2017, D: Russo-Young) S: Zoey Deutch

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 01:17 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q3Zyy4ZXegE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What if you had only one day to change absolutely everything? Samantha Kingston has everything: the perfect friends, the perfect guy, and a seemingly perfect future. Then, everything changes. After one fateful night, Sam wakes up with no future at all. Trapped reliving the same day over and over, she begins to question just how perfect her life really was. As she begins to untangle the mystery of a life suddenly derailed, she must also unwind the secrets of the people closest to her, and discover the power of a single day to make a difference, not just in her own life, but in the lives of those around her--before she runs out of time for good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1691916/

Looks like Groundhog's Day with teenage angst. I would watch as a rental for Deutch, though.

Opens this week. 67% so far on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/before_i_fall
Old 02-28-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts
Re: Before I Fall (2017, D: Russo-Young) S: Zoey Deutch

Originally Posted by dex14

Looks like Groundhog's Day with teenage angst. I would watch as a rental for Deutch, though.
]
Yup. Just saw Everybody Wants Some!! this past weekend. Color me smitten with Zoey as well.
Old 02-28-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I think Zoey Deutch can be a huge star. I was shocked to find out that she's Lea Thompson's daughter.
Old 02-28-17, 02:21 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I think Zoey Deutch can be a huge star. I was shocked to find out that she's Lea Thompson's daughter.
You didn't notice the resemblance? She looks sooo much like her to me.
Old 02-28-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
You didn't notice the resemblance? She looks sooo much like her to me.
No I didn't notice it at all. She was on Jimmy Kimmel one night and they were talking about Lea Thompson being her mom and I was like What!?!?!?!?!?
Old 02-28-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

I didn't know it either, but as soon as you say it I totally made the connection.

Guess I can't date her now. "Hey, did you know I rented All The Right Moves just to see your mom's boobs?"
Old 03-04-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I read the book a long time ago and really enjoyed it. It's pretty much Mean Girls and Groundhog Day mixed together. Not sure if I'll go to the theater to see it.
Old 07-04-17, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

This movie is just not good. Butterfly Effect mixed with Groundhog Day. Terrible cliches and tropes. Very uninteresting.
Old 07-05-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I hated all the teenage girls so it was hard to feel connected with these characters.
Old 07-06-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched this tonight and I enjoyed it. It's essential a teen remake of Groundhog Day with a female lead. I would give it a 3.5/5
Old 07-07-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this movie but the ending didn't work for me -
Spoiler:
Zoey wasn't the worst one but she had to sacrifice herself so someone else could live? WTF kind of message is that?
Old 07-07-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked this movie but the ending didn't work for me -
Spoiler:
Zoey wasn't the worst one but she had to sacrifice herself so someone else could live? WTF kind of message is that?
Spoiler:
I was shocked that she was killed off at the end, but I think she was going to die in the crash anyways and she was the only one who was aware of the loop so she got a chance to redeem herself and close the loop.
Old 08-11-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
I read the book a long time ago and really enjoyed it. It's pretty much Mean Girls and Groundhog Day mixed together. Not sure if I'll go to the theater to see it.
I was very intrigued by the trailer and rented this now that it's on video. My immediate thought after finishing was exactly Groundhog Day + Mean Girls.

I thought the bulk of the film was good, but agree the ending was weird. I think it actually would have been stronger with a few changes:
1) drop the voice over from the beginning
2) have 5-10 more minutes to get to know the characters
3) adjust the ending

I do get a lot of the film is "find yourself" ala Groundhog Day, but a lot of it was panning shots with music. Needed more dialogue. There was definitely a lot of material to work with and build upon - bathroom conversations, sleepovers, divorces, family dinners, etc. Also, I took it as she was looking at the crash as a ghost/out of body experience, but it could have been open to interpretation. Maybe an Inception style ending?

I did think there was going to be some twist and she had to break the loop of another person like the crazy girl.

I will say the pacing and style of the film were great. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the director and cinematographer.
Old 08-12-17, 12:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so, what was the ending? didn't make it through this one...
Old 08-12-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so, what was the ending? didn't make it through this one...
Spoiler:
as far as I could tell she realized she needed to save the girl they all made fun of to stop the cycle. She pushed her out of the way of the truck and got hit herself. It implied she then died and moved on.

Doesn't seem to make sense. The girl still died in the timeline when they don't go to the party. Unsure if it was in the same place/time, and it just took them more time to find out.

The Wiki entry for the book says events only took place over 5 days. Apparently here supposed to align to stages of grief. Makes it sound like she knew she was dead and needed to move on. Seems confusing.

I think she would have interacted with her more throughout the day to save her. Plus I would have liked to seen the aftermath with Sam surviving.