Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that surprisingly haven't been remade

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that surprisingly haven't been remade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Movies that surprisingly haven't been remade

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Brewster's Millions
Great concept, original movie is just so/so.

Originally Posted by digidoh
I remember one internet critic noting that the only thing Gus Van Sant got right in the Psycho remake was the opening shot going from outside the hotel, through the window, and into the hotel room, without any cutting. Supposedly, this is what Hitchcock originally wanted, but the technology of the time prevented it.

Funny you should mention the opening shot, because Gus Van Sant both got it right and wrong.

Yes, Hitchcock wanted to make it one shot, but due to technical limits at the time, he had to settle for a series of shots panning across the city, each one zooming/dissolving closer to the hotel window. Each time the shot is about to change, Hitchcock has a title card come flying (PHOENIX, ARIZONA, then FRIDAY DEC 11th, then the time), so that the audience will momentarily be reading the titles and take their attention off the shot changing, creating the illusion in their memory that they saw a single shot.

In the Gus Van Sant remake, even though he did accomplished the scene in one shot, he still has the series of title cards come flying in as though they were presenting necessary information; they're not, they were only there as distractions.
Old 03-05-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Die Hard. Like Jaws, and a small handful of other films mentioned in this thread, it is the perfect film and should be left alone.
Old 03-05-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
There have been so many versions of the classic Universal monsters; Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, so I'm surprised there's never been a Creature From the Black Lagoon re-make.
The reason being all those are from stories in public domain that predate the film Industry while remaking Creature a whole bunch of money would have to get paid before a script is ever written.
Old 03-05-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts

Oh yea. Knew and had forgotten that it was a remake. Never saw the original. Any good?
Old 03-05-17, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Some movies really ought to be forever untouchable -- The Godfather, Star Wars, The Exorcist, Jaws and the like got it so right the first time, there's absolutely no need for a re-do.
The Force Awakens being an arguable remake and becoming the highest-grossing US film of all-time disputes that...
Old 03-05-17, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit

Oh yea. Knew and had forgotten that it was a remake. Never saw the original. Any good?
I've only ever seen the Richard Pryor version (I have a real soft spot for it and have watched it numerous times).

I wonder what the money value would have to be inflated to for a modern day remake? Spend a hundred million dollars to inherit a billion?
Old 03-05-17, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Old 03-05-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Pretty much the only trilogy that doesn't have a sequel/prequel/remake in the last 17 years.

I've feared for a long time that someone will try to remake Back to the Future but it seems like Zemeckis and Gale are both against it and hold the rights so I think it's safe.

Also kind of surprised that no one has tried remaking The Wizard of Oz. We've gotten Return to Oz and Oz: The Great and Powerful but surprisingly no one has tried remaking and possibly going the franchise route with all the books that could be adapted. Not that I want it to happen but it is a bit surprising.
Old 03-05-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original is one of my all-time favorite films, but since the tech represented in it is now somewhat dated, it would be a perfect candidate for a remake: Colossus: The Forbin Project. With Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates all making statements warning against artificial intelligence in recent years, it would be very timely.

Old 03-06-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Also kind of surprised that no one has tried remaking The Wizard of Oz. We've gotten Return to Oz and Oz: The Great and Powerful but surprisingly no one has tried remaking and possibly going the franchise route with all the books that could be adapted. Not that I want it to happen but it is a bit surprising.
I'm not surprised, because remakes of real, bonafide classics are actually kind of rare. Usually, remakes are done of films that aren't in that top tier category. Look at the AFI 100 list; only a few of them have been directly remade. Gus Van Sant's Psycho was more of an experiment than an honest remake.

I think they would be very reluctant to make a new movie called The Wizard of Oz. Why invite that scrutiny when they can just do something with the characters under a different title?
Old 03-07-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whiskey Warfield
I had heard Johnny Depp/Nicolas Cage wanted to redo the Thin Man series, thank Crom it didn't pan out.
Which one would play Nora?