DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most disappointing roles that were recast for sequels. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/639183-most-disappointing-roles-were-recast-sequels.html)

Hazel Motes 02-25-17 06:45 AM

Most disappointing roles that were recast for sequels.

2 off the top of my head. Edward Furlong as John Connor for Terminator 3 and Jodie Foster for Hannibal. While neither film would have lived up to their predecessor regardless of casting, I think both films would have been much better had they not been recast.

Beyond just simple continuity, both T3 and Hannibal had critical HOLY SHIT moments where these iconic characters cross paths again after their previous films both end in a way that leaves you thinking A) They'll never see each other again and B) if they did it would be an intense moment.

Also, say what you will about Arnie and Furlong's acting ability, but they had great chemistry together. As did Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins obviously.

In Terminator 3 when Nick Stahl comes face to face with the T-800 again, its like all the air is sucked out of the room because its not Edward Furlong. Same with Hannibal. So much of what people wanted to see with both sequels was these characters reuniting. And both went out with a whimper.

devilshalo 02-25-17 10:53 AM

Re: Most disappointing roles that were recast for sequels.

Cuba Gooding and Paul Rae replacing Eddie Murphy and Jeff Garlin in Daddy Day Camp (which was just a horrible fucking movie period). Daddy Day Care, IMO, was one of Eddie's last decent kid films.

Crocker Jarmen 02-25-17 11:58 AM

Watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4 back to back, it is disappointing Patricia Arquette is replaced by a different actress. Kristen's surprise death in Part 4 doesn't feel as monumental as it should, because the new actress fails to establish a connection to the previous film. It doesn't feel like the same character at all.

Not exactly a sequel, but it infuriates me to no end that a different actress plays Donna in Fire Walk With Me instead of Laura Flynn Boyle from Twin Peaks the TV series.

inri222 02-25-17 01:39 PM

Emilia Clarke & Jai Courtney, you know what I'm talking about.

TheMovieman 02-25-17 02:10 PM

Not sure about disappointing, but stark since it was "Part II": Elisabeth Shue replacing Claudia Wells in the Back to the Future franchise. I understand the reasoning (if IMBb's trivia section is correct) but still noticeable.

Mondo Kane 02-25-17 02:13 PM

To be fair, Nick Stahl looked a lot more like Linda Hamilton's offspring than Furlong did.

islandclaws 02-25-17 04:02 PM

I know it doesn't make a huge difference but I wish they'd kept Kane Hodder under the mask for Freddy vs. Jason since the role was really his by that point.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13019456)
Not exactly a sequel, but it infuriates me to no end that a different actress plays Donna in Fire Walk With Me instead of Laura Flynn Boyle from Twin Peaks the TV series.

I'm a HUGE TP fan... and I think Moira did a better job than Boyle.

Also, you know that was all on Boyle, right?

JeffTheAlpaca 02-25-17 06:09 PM

George Hamilton replacing Robert Duvall in Godfather III.

E Unit 02-25-17 06:33 PM

Maria Bello replacing Rachel Weisz for the third Mummy.

Drexl 02-25-17 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 13019512)
Not sure about disappointing, but stark since it was "Part II": Elisabeth Shue replacing Claudia Wells in the Back to the Future franchise. I understand the reasoning (if IMBb's trivia section is correct) but still noticeable.

That was the first one that came to mind. What makes it more disappointing is how the films are seamlessly connected - the sequel picks up right at the moment where the first one left off. You could watch them as one film, and yet, it's jarring since Jennifer had to be recast.

TGM 02-25-17 06:59 PM

Rachel Dawes in Nolan's Batman trilogy went from a hottie to a donkey faced bucket of smashed assholes.

Mike86 02-25-17 07:40 PM

Unpopular opinion but I liked Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins more than Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight. Holmes got a lot of criticism but I didn't really think she was that bad. She was surrounded by an all star cast and was out of her league and was partially facing some backlash for being married to Tom Cruise who was going through his wacky phase.

TheMovieman 02-25-17 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13019649)
Unpopular opinion but I liked Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins more than Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight. Holmes got a lot of criticism but I didn't really think she was that bad. She was surrounded by an all star cast and was out of her league and was partially facing some backlash for being married to Tom Cruise who was going through his wacky phase.

Eh, I thought she was pretty bad, particularly in the scene where she slaps Bruce when he tells her he was going to take the law into his own hands (shooting Joe Chill). And for not one second did I buy her as an ADA.

Sure, perhaps being surrounded by talent makes her lack of talent all the more glaring, but that only means someone else should've been cast (I have to wonder if this was Warner's decision more than Nolan's).

Michael Corvin 02-25-17 08:29 PM

:lol: I don't think I ever realized they were supposed to be the same character, or maybe I forgot.

RichC2 02-25-17 08:30 PM

I like Maggie G but agree she was wrong for that role and think the impact of Dark Knight was lessened due to Holmes dropping out.

The Cow 02-25-17 08:36 PM

Wille Mays Hayes in the Major League movies.

Crocker Jarmen 02-25-17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 13019551)

I'm a HUGE TP fan... and I think Moira did a better job than Boyle.

Also, you know that was all on Boyle, right?

I think it was more like Donna was a different person pre-Laura's death. Plus, Moira had the huge advantage of playing scenes opposite Sheryl Lee, instead of James Hurley :)

Was it really all on her? Who knows. To be honest, it bums me out how many actors felt burned by the end of season two they immediately wanted to distance themselves from the show.

robin2099 02-25-17 09:10 PM

John Shepherd taking over for Corey Feldman in Friday the 13th part 5

-Val Kilmer taking over for Michael Keaton in Batman Forever and George Clooney taking over for Val Kilmer.

Betsy Palmer being recast in Freddy vs Jason and by the same token Kane Hodder being recast as Jason.

Mike86 02-25-17 10:38 PM

Coming from someone who doesn't mind Batman Forever I agree that Kilmer is pretty bad in the film. Particularly as Bruce Wayne he just does't feel right at all. His Batman is okay but not great.

hasslein 02-26-17 01:51 AM

Kirstie Alley Star Trek III, and Tina Louise in the terrible Gilligan reunion movies

rw2516 02-26-17 06:25 AM

The replacing of Bernard Lee in the Bond films could have been handled so much better than it was.
The revolving door of actors portraying Felix Leiter.
Let's not get started with Blofeld.

Shannon Nutt 02-26-17 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13019456)

There are two theories about this...one is that the script called for nudity and Lara didn't want to do it. The second (and most probable) is that Lynch was sick of dealing with Boyle, who - rumor has it - got Kyle (who she was dating at the time of the series) to nix an on-screen relationship between his character and the Audrey Horne character.

The fact that Boyle wasn't invited back for the reboot says to me that the latter story is probably accurate. Lynch doesn't like her.

joe_b 02-26-17 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13019834)
The fact that Boyle wasn't invited back for the reboot says to me that the latter story is probably accurate. Lynch doesn't like her.

That and her allegedly botched plastic surgery. At this point, I'd rather have Moria Kelly reprise Donna if the character shows up in the revival.