Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
7.14%
21.43%
7.14%
7.14%
35.71%
What are you high?
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The 89th Academy Awards --> 2017 Awards Show Discussion

that would have been AMAZING.
Old 02-27-17, 07:11 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

And did I see Matt Damon on the stage with the LA La Land crew? Or is it someone who really looked like him? I was confused why he'd be up there.
Old 02-27-17, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

a timeline of a historic oscars blunder

according to the hollywood reporter, the accountants from pricewaterhousecoopers (pwc) typically create two complete sets of winners' envelopes. So it is possible stone had her envelope and another was handed to beatty.

"during the ceremony, two accountants stand on opposite sides of the stage throughout the ceremony, alternating between each other in the handing out of envelopes, depending on which side of the stage the presenters enter from," according to thr.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/entert...ned/index.html
backstage, moonlight director barry jenkins was asked to explain the moment. "no explanation, things just happen," he said. "i will say i saw two cards. I wanted to see the card and warren refused to show the card to anybody before he showed it to me. He said, 'barry jenkins has to see the card. He needs to know.'”

with the top honor yanked away from the frontrunner, la la land ended the evening with six wins. Emma stone, who claimed best actress, was cordial when asked about the confusion by reporters.

"i f—ing love moonlight," she said. "of course it was an amazing thing to hear them say la la land, we would have loved best picture, but we're so happy for moonlight."

meanwhile, at the governors' ball, dunaway wasn't as gregarious about the moment. The presenter told the hollywood reporter, "no, i'm not going to speak about it."

Last edited by stingermck; 02-27-17 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Having two sets of envelopes is stupid. They give out one award every hour no need to have a person on each side of the stage. One can easily go back and forth or have a central location in the middle where the presenter can pick it up before getting into position to go out on stage.
Old 02-27-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Feel bad for Warren, you can see it in his face before and afterwards how much of a screw up it was.

And sigh to people already saying fake news or this was a planned publicity stunt.
Old 02-27-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and:

The other Oscars gaffe: 'dead' woman from In Memoriam montage is still alive

Jan Chapman ‘devastated’ her photo was used instead of late costume designer Janet Patterson in film honouring industry luminaries who died in past year

"I was devastated by the use of my image in place of my great friend and long-time collaborator Janet Patterson. I had urged her agency to check any photograph which might be used and understand that they were told that the Academy had it covered. Janet was a great beauty and four-time Oscar nominee and it is very disappointing that the error was not picked up. I am alive and well and an active producer."
Old 02-27-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
It could have been worse. They could have had John Travolta announce the winner as "Hidden Fences."
Except he would have announced it as "Hinennata Focanenen(mumble mumble)."
Old 02-27-17, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Feel bad for Warren, you can see it in his face before and afterwards how much of a screw up it was.

And sigh to people already saying fake news or this was a planned publicity stunt.
But Warren wasn't even the one who announced La La Land. It was Faye. Does anyone feel bad for her? At least Warren realized the card looked wrong enough to take a second look in the envelope. Faye looked at the card as well and must have seen the same thing - Emma Stone in big letters with La La Land below in a smaller font. What was she thinking?? Why are all news stories out there saying Warren Beatty read the wrong movie? He NEVER said the wrong movie title!
Old 02-27-17, 08:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well I guess La La Land won the popular vote, but Moonlight took the electoral college FTW.
Old 02-27-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 02-27-17, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm guessing they have extra envelopes for all the awards just in case.
There's two complete sets -- one at stage left and one at stage right. What must have happened is that Leo came from one side of the stage and Warren came from the other, but whoever handed Warren his envelope handed him the one that would have gone to Leo had he come through that side.

And while I haven't seen La La Land, Moonlight was an absolutely phenomenal movie -- I'm so glad that it won.
Old 02-27-17, 09:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious how differently this would have played out if anyone but Emma had won Best Actress, since none of the other options were nominated for Best Picture.
Old 02-27-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm curious how differently this would have played out if anyone but Emma had won Best Actress, since none of the other options were nominated for Best Picture.
I thought about that too. I think it would have been better all around, because it would have been much more obvious to the presenters that they didn't have the right envelope and they would have been more confident to say, "This can't be the right envelope. Bring us the right one."

It is interesting how the particular set of circumstances here created just the right amount of confusion for the worst case scenario.
Old 02-27-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This is the first time in nearly a decade that I didn't see a single Best Picture movie before the award show. But of the nominated movies, Moonlight was the only one I really wanted to see. I just didn't get the chance. I'll try to catch it this week.

Also this blunder just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Seems like a dumb but innocent mistake and the producer of La La Land handled it with class.
Old 02-27-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PricewaterhouseCoopers,PricewaterhouseCoopers,PricewaterhouseCoopers,PricewaterhouseCoopers

they ram it down our throats and fuck it up... hahaha someone is getting fired from there
Old 02-27-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This has to be on Faye, warren didn't even announce it..
I felt like both of them didn't want to be seen wearing glasses..
What a mess, feel bad for moonlight as it lost its great massive upset moment
Old 02-27-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

watching it again... Warren looked confused when reading it so he literally made faye be the scapegoat.
Old 02-27-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Also this blunder just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Seems like a dumb but innocent mistake and the producer of La La Land handled it with class.
It was a HUGE deal. That said, the producer of LaLa Land handled it incredibly well. Warren was clutching his envelope tight so he could explain what had happened, so the other stagehand gave the producer the other envelope during the acceptance speeches, and he opened it and became the first person to know that Moonlight was the winner. How awful that moment must have been. He handled it with such class.
Old 02-27-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Honestly, this running bit with the rivalry between these two doesn't get old to me.
It's become a classic running joke that both of them play hilariously.
Though Kimmel should've tried to blame the blunder on Damon somehow.
Old 02-27-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Honestly, this running bit with the rivalry between these two doesn't get old to me.
It's become a classic running joke that both of them play hilariously.
Though Kimmel should've tried to blame the blunder on Damon somehow.
It is a very funny bit, but there is a point where you milk a joke too much in one show. The beginning was very funny when Kimmel was raggin on Damon even calling him a dumbass at one point. Let it go there, as comedy is all about timing and you don't want to go to the well too many times with it. As I said, it was as bad as Uma/Oprah (simply because that was never funny from the start), but it was getting there by the end of the night for me.
Old 02-27-17, 10:20 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
watching it again... Warren looked confused when reading it so he literally made faye be the scapegoat.
Intentionally? Not at all. He handed it to her so she could see why he was stalling. From her perspective, she was probably thinking, "JUST GET ON WITH IT, WARREN!" so when he handed it to her, I bet her eyes were scanning for the title. She saw the title and just said it. I don't think he thought she'd do that.

When he explained to the crowd, he didn't throw her under the bus. He explained what he saw in the envelope. That's it. If he wanted Faye to be the scapegoat, he'd have blamed her, and he sure didn't do that.
Old 02-27-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Intentionally? Not at all. He handed it to her so she could see why he was stalling. From her perspective, she was probably thinking, "JUST GET ON WITH IT, WARREN!" so when he handed it to her, I bet her eyes were scanning for the title. She saw the title and just said it. I don't think he thought she'd do that.

When he explained to the crowd, he didn't throw her under the bus. He explained what he saw in the envelope. That's it. If he wanted Faye to be the scapegoat, he'd have blamed her, and he sure didn't do that.
i would have held it but its true he couldnt stop her.

oh well.. PricewaterhouseCoopers,PricewaterhouseCoopers,PricewaterhouseCoopers
Old 02-27-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah, Warren's taking a lot of heat, but to his credit he knew something was wrong. He showed the card to Faye Dunaway likely for her opinion on what to do and instead she blurted it out before disappearing from the stage.
Old 02-27-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Where did that envelope come from? Did DiCaprio have it after Emma Stone's speech?
Each side of the stage has a set of envelopes, just in case someone enters from either side. When one is taken, the other is to be immediately destroyed. That didn't happen.
Old 02-27-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Jackie Chan probably ran like hell when he saw them taking back Oscars.

I thought it was one of the better Oscar shows in recent years and Kimmel did a great job.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.