DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/639026-jay-silent-bob-reboot-2019-d-kevin-smith.html)

dex14 02-09-17 04:32 PM

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith)

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...a2&oe=5940F520

This is not a drill! This is an actual image from my laptop! Yes, Kids - @jayandsilentbob are coming back! Here's the story: Sadly, Clerks III can't happen (one of our four leads opted out of the flick). So I worked on a #Mallrats movie instead... which also didn't happen because it turned into a #Mallrats series. I've pitched said sequel series to 6 different networks only to find no takers thus far. Mind you, I'm not complaining: nobody gets to make EVERYTHING they wanna make in this business (do they?). And I've been lucky to make anything at all, there's so much competition out there, so many much cooler ideas from fresh folks. And besides: I had #comicbookmen and then @tuskthemovie and @yogahosers (which all came together so crazy quickly), and the podcasts and #fatmanonbatman. With all of that, how could I bitch about no Clerks III or Mallrats 2? Then when I started directing @thecw shows, it was such a slice of Heaven on Earth, I happily put my Askewniverse sequels to the side. Since I sold #Clerks and #Mallrats years ago, they're owned by others, which limits my moves with my own material. I don't mind: back in the day, all I ever wanted to do was sell my stuff so I could be in the movie biz in the first place. So I don't own Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy or #Dogma... But I DO own #jayandsilentbob. So while I love playing with someone else's new toys on @cwtheflash and @Supergirl, I'm getting eager to play with my old toys again in the inter-connected View Askewniverse I spent the first half of my career creating. And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot" - a fun flick in which the Jersey boys have to go back to Hollywood to stop a brand new reboot of the old "Bluntman & Chronic Movie" they hated so much. It's a tongue-in-cheek, silly-ass satire that pokes fun at the movie business's recent re-do obsession, featuring an all-star cast of cameos and familiar faces! And I already met with the good folks at Miramax and they're into it, so I'm hoping we'll be shooting in the summer! Never give up, kids. You CAN do anything you want in life, so long as you're patient and malleable. #KevinSmith
So Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2 are dead. Great... We'll see if this one actually happens.

Deftones 02-09-17 04:45 PM

re: Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith)

who opted out of Clerks 3 and how can I thank them?

dex14 02-09-17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13009173)
who opted out of Clerks 3 and how can I thank them?

Apparently, Jeff Anderson.

E Unit 02-09-17 04:52 PM

I think Kevin Smith is the one most excited by this announcement.

Trevor 02-09-17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13009176)

He was always my favorite. Thank you Jeff!

That said, I'm always game to try Smith's work, no matter how often he goes to the same well.

Why So Blu? 02-09-17 05:45 PM

Of course it would be Jeff Anderson. Fucking, Randall.

dex14 02-09-17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13009213)
Of course it would be Jeff Anderson. Fucking, Randall.

http://i.imgur.com/JIfuDRr.gif

Mabuse 02-09-17 05:55 PM

I liked both Clerks films and really liked Jeff Anderson in both. I wonder why he opted out.

Boba Fett 02-09-17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13009218)
I liked both Clerks films and really liked Jeff Anderson in both. I wonder why he opted out.

He literally lived in a retirement community for old people and made allusions that he would only do a film in the future if the script was right.

edstein 02-09-17 06:22 PM

Not interested.

Why So Blu? 02-09-17 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 13009224)
He literally lived in a retirement community for old people and made allusions that he would only do a film in the future if the script was right.

So he went back to being an asshole in real life.

The Valeyard 02-09-17 07:15 PM

Or the script wasn't right and he Bill Murray'd them.

Michael Corvin 02-09-17 08:35 PM

I know J&SBSB has it's detractors but I love it. Just a light hearted, silly movie with a crap ton of cameos and in-jokes.

That being said, Smith has been on the same trajectory as M. Night with his last string of flicks. He's due for something good... or at least something to harken back to the early work.

Hazel Motes 02-09-17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13009176)

interesting, he was close to not doing Clerk 2 as well, but was really happy with the film and the reception it got. I wonder why he opted out of 3.

Jeff Anderson seems a little like Randal in real life. An unhappy go nowhere kind of guy.

story 02-09-17 09:53 PM

I loved Clerks 2. It hit close to home in many ways for some of our old high school friends drifting apart and/or coming closer together. I'd really like to see a Clerks 3.

EdTheRipper 02-09-17 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13009386)
I loved Clerks 2. It hit close to home in many ways for some of our old high school friends drifting apart and/or coming closer together. I'd really like to see a Clerks 3.

Same for me. Disappointed that it isn't happening.

Raul3 02-10-17 12:27 AM

I also love Clerks 2.

But this reboot can work. J&SBSB really worked for me, so hopefully they can deliver again with this new movie.

JTH182 02-10-17 01:04 AM

This could be pretty good or an epic disaster. I really want to see scenes from the Bluntman and Chronic reboot where it's overly dark and grim. :lol:

Affleck should be da bomb in this, yo!

Paff 02-10-17 01:52 AM

At one of his speaking gigs, a LONG time ago, Smith said he had the script for "Jay and Silent Bob go to Space" almost complete: "Me and Jay go to NASA, we see a button that says 'launch' but I think it's 'lunch' so I press it. We'll use the grappling hook. Make some jokes about getting fucked in the ass. Credits."

Why So Blu? 02-10-17 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13009469)
At one of his speaking gigs, a LONG time ago, Smith said he had the script for "Jay and Silent Bob go to Space" almost complete: "Me and Jay go to NASA, we see a button that says 'launch' but I think it's 'lunch' so I press it. We'll use the grappling hook. Make some jokes about getting fucked in the ass. Credits."

That would have been cool. Fine ass astronauts and shit, too. :hump:

james2025a 02-10-17 04:38 AM

Well I actually remember enjoying a lot of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Cockknocker Mark Hamil was hilarious), but I do also remember it having some cringe worthy parts (Willl Farrell and Judd Nelson and the monkey scene). So let's see.

As for Mallrats 2 and Clerks 3 not happening, well the last time I rewatched Mallrats it was awful. Almost unwatchable, and this is a movie that I remember loving at one pint in time. I liked parts of Clerks 2, but that main guy (not Jeff Anderson) is a horrible actor and he comes across as an irritating twat. Also, Smith sticking his ugly talentless wife into most of his projects pisses me off. Pay a decent actress for gods sake. I also like the Smashing Pumpkins song 1979, yet I hate the scene it's used in this movie with dickhead driving his car with it playing.

majorjoe23 02-10-17 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a (Post 13009479)
Well I actually remember enjoying a lot of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (Cockknocker Mark Hamil was hilarious), but I do also remember it having some cringe worthy parts (Willl Farrell and Judd Nelson and the monkey scene). So let's see.

As for Mallrats 2 and Clerks 3 not happening, well the last time I rewatched Mallrats it was awful. Almost unwatchable, and this is a movie that I remember loving at one pint in time. I liked parts of Clerks 2, but that main guy (not Jeff Anderson) is a horrible actor and he comes across as an irritating twat. Also, Smith sticking his ugly talentless wife into most of his projects pisses me off. Pay a decent actress for gods sake. I also like the Smashing Pumpkins song 1979, yet I hate the scene it's used in this movie with dickhead driving his car with it playing.

Given Cassidy is your profile pic, I'm not sure which way it's funnier to read this.

Troy Stiffler 02-10-17 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13009361)
I wonder why he opted out of 3.

He saw Yoga Hosers.

Troy Stiffler 02-10-17 07:47 AM

I did appreciate Yoga Hosers for being unconventional. It really is nothing you'd see anywhere else. For better or worse. True low-budget indie filmmaking. Something I'd expect from Troma.

Looking forward to the serious and grounded Marvel-like Bluntman & Chronic update. :lol: The parody could write itself.

d2cheer 02-10-17 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 13009447)
I also love Clerks 2.

But this reboot can work. J&SBSB really worked for me, so hopefully they can deliver again with this new movie.

Agree, if for nothing else so I can read about people pissing and moaning about it and Kevin because they have no life.

windom 02-10-17 01:01 PM

Too bad Mallrats 2 isn't happening. I feel like Jason Lee probably really needs the work.

starseed1981 02-10-17 01:02 PM

After the one two punch of Tusk / Yoga Hosers I'm not sure that I'll ever watch another one of his films. Even despite my immense adoration for Jay / Silent Bob.

Michael Corvin 02-10-17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13009760)
Too bad Mallrats 2 isn't happening. I feel like Jason Lee probably really needs the work.

Nah. He does a bunch of voice work, tv and neverending Chipmunk movies. He may not make much I want to watch but it doesn't seem like he has any problems getting work.

Troy Stiffler 02-10-17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13009764)
After the one two punch of Tusk / Yoga Hosers I'm not sure that I'll ever watch another one of his films. Even despite my immense adoration for Jay / Silent Bob.

I thought they were both pretty good. But you got to look at them like you're watching a Troma or Roger Corman movie. They're not '$50M indie' movies (from someone like Coen Bros). They're true low-budget indie movies, made on shoestring budgets, almost zero marketing, and were made for their niche audience.

dex14 01-02-19 11:51 AM

Considering what happened with Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2... I won't believe this until I actually see cameras rolling.

I moved the previous heart attack discussion to a new thread: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...rt-attack.html

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Spent the first day of 2019 having a <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JayAndSilentBobReboot?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#JayAndSilentBobReboot</a> pre-pre-production meeting at our holiday-roomy <a href="https://twitter.com/WeWork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WeWork</a> office! <a href="https://twitter.com/JayMewes?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JayMewes</a> took this pic of me and <a href="https://twitter.com/JordanMonsanto?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@JordanMonsanto</a> to both mark the moment and to document that we were the only dopes in Hollywood working on the holiday. <a href="https://t.co/xTNrpN6OF6">pic.twitter.com/xTNrpN6OF6</a></p>&mdash; KevinSmith (@ThatKevinSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1080323537569603584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Michael Corvin 01-02-19 10:24 PM

Damn, he's looking great.

andicus 01-03-19 12:33 AM

I hope this gets made. The first wasn't great, but it had some entertaining parts.

And, yeah, I enjoyed Clerks 2. Rosario was quite sexy in it. -other-

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/pho...3-1024-576.jpg

dex14 01-25-19 02:17 PM

Saban Films has picked up the North American rights to Kevin Smith’s Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, the sequel to the 2001 comedy Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Jason Mewes and Smith are returning to their title roles, alongside a number of other stars from the original Miramax release as well as new faces. Saban Films will release the pic theatrically and production is currently underway.

Jay (Mewes) and Silent Bob (Smith) were first introduced 25 years ago in Smith’s directorial debut, Clerks, and continued to appear in Smith’s cinematic canon including Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Clerks II, as well as the animated film Jay and Silent Bob’s Super Groovy Cartoon Movie. The new movie will take jabs at reboots, remakes, and sequels while simultaneously being all three at the same time.

Saban Films’ Bill Bromiley said, “Jay and Silent Bob is a global franchise which has a very loyal fan base. Partnering with Kevin at script stage on the next chapter of these iconic characters is a huge milestone. This is the beginning of a new initiative at Saban Films, to partner on IP with seasoned filmmakers and talent early on in the creative process all the way through distribution.”

Smith said, “Last February, I almost died. So on the one year anniversary of my widow maker heart attack, as a celebration of life and a big ol’ F you to Death, my best friend and I will be rolling cameras on a sequel/remake/reboot of a movie we first made nearly twenty years ago! In Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back our herbal heroes found out Hollywood was making a movie based on them, so they journeyed out to Hollywood to stop it. But I’ve learned so much as a storyteller and have grown immensely as a filmmaker since then, so audiences can expect something completely different: In Jay & Silent Bob Reboot our herbal heroes find out Hollywood is making a reboot of the old movie that was based on them, so they journey out to Hollywood to stop it again. I offer my (literal) undying thanks to our amazing partners at Saban and Universal for making this dream come true and backing this cinematic silliness!”

Mewes said, “I’m tired of doing Shakespeare all the time so it’ll be nice to get back to playing Jay again. It may be 25 years since I first played the idiot man-child from Jersey but this time’s going to be the best because I’ve really grown into the role of idiot man-child in my old age.”

Bill Bromiley and Jonathan Saba negotiated the deal for Saban Films, with Jackie Eckhouse of Sloss Eckhouse LawCo on behalf of the filmmakers. Universal Pictures Home Entertainment Content Group acquired all foreign rights. Jordan Monsanto of Smodco is producing alongside Destro Film’s Liz Destro.

Equity Financing for the Picture has been provided by Hideout Pictures, Mickey Gooch Jr’s Skitbags Entertainment, and Fan Owned Legion M. Debt Financing for the film has been provided by Three Point Capital Louisiana and Intercut Capital.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/kevin-s...AXbkMv6sYEHlDA

dex14 02-08-19 12:46 PM

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FYesThatKevinSmith%2Fposts%2F10155735239661930%3A0&wid th=500" width="500" height="710" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Noonan 02-08-19 12:50 PM

I still can't believe so many studios passed on Mallrats 2 after he had some many of the actors on-board for the sequel. :(

dex14 02-08-19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13497359)
I still can't believe so many studios passed on Mallrats 2 after he had some many of the actors on-board for the sequel. :(

It wasn't studios passing. Universal had to be involved no matter what. Universal TV told Smith to take it to networks or streaming and all of them passed. Which yes, is pretty unbelievable.

Noonan 02-08-19 12:55 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant. I know he went to at least Showtime and Netflix and I'm pretty sure he named a few others as well. None of those places had someone who grew up on those films willing to give him the green light? Just seems strange; especially for Netflix who has green-lit far worse under their banner.

Mike86 02-08-19 01:08 PM

I’d rather be getting a sequel to Mallrats as well but will still take this.

dex14 02-08-19 01:13 PM

Luckily, we'll get Mallrats characters. Brody will be in this.

dsa_shea 02-09-19 02:33 PM

The most obvious title of this movie is Jay & Silent Bob Will Not Be Rebooted.