Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (2019, D: Kevin Smith)

Just came back from a screening and, gotta' say, yeah I know my name kinda' biases me, but this movie was filled with the funny. While the laughs were expected, the heart wrapped around them was not. Mewes busts out some acting chops we've not seen, Kev's daughter is great in this and, dare I say, Affleck's scene is the perfect coda to Chasing Amy.
Old 10-15-19, 11:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Just came back from a screening and, gotta' say, yeah I know my name kinda' biases me, but this movie was filled with the funny. While the laughs were expected, the heart wrapped around them was not. Mewes busts out some acting chops we've not seen, Kev's daughter is great in this and, dare I say, Affleck's scene is the perfect coda to Chasing Amy.
how did you feel about the trailer? And what are your feelings toward Strike Back.

i love the view askew movies, but Strike Back is one of my least favorites, and everything ive seem for reboot say it’s I’m the sa,e vein.

Old 10-16-19, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Affleck's scene is kinda perfect period, maybe it's where I am in life but that monologue hit me like a ton of bricks.
Old 10-16-19, 07:48 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Is this getting some sort of soft launch? It's playing once or twice this week and isn't eligible for A-List.
Old 10-16-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matto1020
how did you feel about the trailer? And what are your feelings toward Strike Back.

i love the view askew movies, but Strike Back is one of my least favorites, and everything ive seem for reboot say it’s I’m the sa,e vein.
The short answer, if you didn't like Strike Back you're not going to like this save for maybe the Chasing Amy coda scene.

A bit longer answer, I was with most of the people here on the trailer. I chuckled once and then though, oh oh, this is going to be to Yoga Hosers. But, while there is some cringe worthy humour in the flick, when the laughs come they are a plenty and Mewes again carries the movie alongside Kev's daughter. The due actually work well together which makes sense having known each other all their lives. The little nods to other Askewniverse flicks are fun but, as mentioned, Ben's scene is very touching in a lot of ways, not just for the history of the character but the history of the friendship. The movie starts as a straight up rehash but when Jay's daughter comes into the fold the heartfelt moments make this one a bit more.
Old 10-16-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Was there content after the Fathom screening for anyone yesterday? I don't mean the post-credits sequence, I mean that during the introduction by Smith and Mewes, I thought Smith said there would be bonus content after the movie. But after the post-credits sequence, it stopped rolling and the lights came on. Just curious if my theater cut it early or if there wasn't actually any post-movie bonus content.
Old 10-16-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Is this getting some sort of soft launch? It's playing once or twice this week and isn't eligible for A-List.
The very fact that the Fathom showing would cost me close to $19, -close to $10 more than I usually pay, -is enough to keep me away from something that appears to be pretty slight.
Old 10-16-19, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot my keys in the cupholder and when I went back in there was nothing playing
Old 10-16-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
Was there content after the Fathom screening for anyone yesterday? I don't mean the post-credits sequence, I mean that during the introduction by Smith and Mewes, I thought Smith said there would be bonus content after the movie. But after the post-credits sequence, it stopped rolling and the lights came on. Just curious if my theater cut it early or if there wasn't actually any post-movie bonus content.
There should have been, yes. We got the Canadian intro before the U.S. intro and, after the film:
-Kevin interview Rosario Dawson
-Jay interview stand ins
-Jay talking to the crew on last night of shoot
-Kevin and Jay chatting with Shannon Elizabeth
-Bloopers
Old 10-16-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
There should have been, yes. We got the Canadian intro before the U.S. intro and, after the film:
-Kevin interview Rosario Dawson
-Jay interview stand ins
-Jay talking to the crew on last night of shoot
-Kevin and Jay chatting with Shannon Elizabeth
-Bloopers
Well that sucks, hopefully they include that stuff on the Blu-ray.
Old 10-16-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Two Fathom showings this week (yesterday and tomorrow) then it goes on "tour" opening in select cites with Kevin doing a special screening/live appearance in each city. When it hits said city, it's also supposed to play in other theaters, but who knows how "wide" that will be (one local theater? two? all of them?). The tour thingy goes on into Spring of 2020, at which point it should hit Digital.
Old 10-16-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
When it hits said city, it's also supposed to play in other theaters, but who knows how "wide" that will be (one local theater? two? all of them?).
Where did you hear this part? The Roadshow hits Detroit next Tuesday, and there is currently no sign of any traditional screenings locally on the horizon.

I really think it's just the 2 Fathom Events and the Roadshow.
Old 10-16-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This is playing tomorrow night at my AMC, but I'm already seeing Zombieland 2, and since it's not A-List I'm skipping it.
Old 10-16-19, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This is playing tomorrow night at my AMC, but I'm already seeing Zombieland 2, and since it's not A-List I'm skipping it.
It's a Fathom Event. Those are never eligible for A-List. It's also a double feature with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I don't really have any interest in sitting for both movies, but I had considered going anyway tomorrow and just showing up late to see Reboot. 7PM is too early for me anyway. Not going to end up going though cause my friend has other commitments tomorrow.
Old 10-16-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’d probably see this if it was playing at my local theater. Sounds like it’s pretty good from what I’ve heard.
Old 10-17-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Where did you hear this part? The Roadshow hits Detroit next Tuesday, and there is currently no sign of any traditional screenings locally on the horizon.

Smith says it on his podcast(s) ads for the movie/Roadshow tour.
Old 10-17-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

They are coming to Houston at the end of the month and a few friends are going, but after watching the trailer I had to decline. Looks awful and not worth $50. Sure, it would be cool meeting Smith and Mewes, but eh, not for that.
Old 10-17-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I'd pay $50 for that.

Rock start charge a grand.
Old 10-18-19, 09:02 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got back from the double feature screening last night. Before I get into my thoughts, it might help to start by saying that my girlfriend and I spent the last week or so rewatching all his old View Askew flicks. Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Clerks II.... (and of course Strike Back at the showing last night)... and while I feel some of his flicks really haven't aged that well and are definitely a product of the times they were made in, I still had a lot of nostalgic fun rewatching them. Even Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, which was always may least favorite because it's so cartoonish and felt not nearly as smart as his other flicks made me smile again.

But that leads into J&SB Reboot... and I think the best way I can describe it is that if you are a View Askew fan... you should watch it just because, well, you've come this far. If you are not a fan of his past View Askew movies, stay far far away from this.

This flick is just another example of Kevin Smith having a good idea, but failing to execute in a strong way. It really is STRIKE BACK PART II, except the celebrity cameos aren't as impressive, the past View Askew characters (and there aren't many...) really don't add anything new or make me feel glad I saw them again, and the HEART that this film tries to have, while a good try, never really lands because let's face it, his daughter is not a great actress, and Jay, while maybe better than he was in CLERKS, also is not a great actor. You have these two who are trying to tug at your heart strings but it really just comes off incredibly cheesy. Many scenes just feel like they are placed in the movie to fill time and add nothing to the story... such as

Spoiler:
The scene with Loki... I was so looking forward to seeing Matt Damon play this role again and interact with the characters... but instead we cut from a scene of Jay and Bob somewhere else to a church for Loki to just basically give you a three minute explanation of his existence and make a few Jason Bourne jokes... then it cuts back to Jay and Bob who are in a completely different place... and that's it. There was absolutely no point to this scene other than to get Damon in the movie.

Once you get to the final act of the movie that takes place at the Chronic-Con, the movie becomes just as silly and cartoony as STRIKE BACK, except now with double Kevin Smith since he's directing the Bluntman and Chronic reboot and doing a panel for it. If you listen to any of his podcasts, you're going to feel like you are still listening to them when he is on screen as himself.

I wish this was something Kevin Smith would of taken at least seven more passes at the script... because it could of been really, really funny... but instead it has a few laughs here and there, a very subdued (and a little out of character) Jay & Silent Bob, and a look back on a lot of his characters that are still exactly where they were in Strike Back (well, except for maybe Afflek).

I'm still a very big Kevin Smith fan. I love listening to his podcasts, I think he has a great attitude towards the world and encouraging others to pursue their creative passions, but for whatever reason, he refuses to grow whatsoever as a filmmaker, and it shows that much more with each film he makes. I'll still pick this up on iTunes when it's on sale for $10 or less just to keep my Askew collection complete and will watch it again whenever I do a marathon again (probably before CLERKS III if that happens)... but I just wish this would of been a true return to form for him (much like CLERKS II sort of was)... but instead this was a quick, cheap and kind of lazy way to get everyone back and in a movie again.

RANKING
1. CLERKS
2. DOGMA
3. CLERKS II
4. CHASING AMY
5. MALLRATS
6. JAY AND SILENT BOB REBOOT
7. JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
Old 10-18-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I went digging for my Clerks II blu-ray to also watch a couple VA flicks prior to seeing this (watched J&SB:SB last week) only to realize I owned it on HD-DVD and got rid of it. Same for Mallrats. I guess I need to pick them up on BD in the near future.
Old 10-24-19, 04:35 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

The Roadshow Tour opened in NJ last week and now this weekend the movie is playing in some theatres for a week run. Not that many. I will see it Saturday and be able to use A-List.
Old 10-27-19, 08:53 AM

Saw it and enjoyed it. I laughed consistently throughout. And I was someone who thought the trailer looked like shit.

I agree with Matto’s comments that the third act becomes way too cartoony. But the Holden/Alyssa scene was so great and I can’t believe this wasn’t originally in the movie until Affleck joined last minute. I can’t imagine the movie without it.
Old 10-27-19, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dex14

The Roadshow Tour opened in NJ last week and now this weekend the movie is playing in some theatres for a week run. Not that many. I will see it Saturday and be able to use A-List.
You're right. I see it in exactly 1 theater in my area now, lol. I saw the roadshow on Tuesday.
Old 10-28-19, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The tour thingy goes on into Spring of 2020, at which point it should hit Digital.
Blu-ray is out January 21, 2020.
Old 10-28-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'll have to wait until this hits digital. I'm not a big enough fan of Smith to spend $40-50 for this road show even though it's coming to my area.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.