Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Judy Garland Was Repeatedly Molested by Munchkins on Set of Wizard of Oz.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Teenage Judy Garland Was Repeatedly Molested by Munchkins on Set of Wizard of Oz.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

In The Wizard of Oz, the lovable Munchkins help Dorothy follow the yellow brick road to find her way home. But just like Oz himself, it turns out some of the Munchkins may not have been all they seemed. A new memoir by Judy Garland’s ex-husband claims the Dorothy actress was repeatedly molested by some of the actors who played the Munchkins in the classic musical.

Sid Luft, who was married to Garland from 1952-1965, described the alleged abuse in a new, posthumous memoir, Judy and I: My Life with Judy Garland.

They would make Judy’s life miserable on set by putting their hands under her dress … The men were 40 or more years old,” wrote the producer and business manager, who died in 2005.

“They thought they could get away with anything because they were so small,” he added. Garland, who died in 1969, described the actor’s behavior before her death. In a 1967 interview with Jack Paar, Judy Garland said, “They were little drunks … They got smashed every night, and they picked them up in butterfly nets.”

Rumors about the actors’ bad behavior — ranging from Caligula-like orgies to gambling to prostitution — have been floating around Hollywood for decades. Julie Lugo Cerra, whose father worked near the Wizard of Oz studio in Culver City, CA at the time, told NPR that the hundred and twenty some Munchkin actors “had a really good time” during filming because, for many of them, it was their first time interacting with other little people.

“They were having a very good time and they celebrated a lot,” Cerra added. Her father told her that the Munchkin actors “were all over the place” … “and they would pile them into cars, and they would be even under the dashboards because you could get so many in.” While she denied many of the rumors, Cerra said, “I’m sure that they had a very good time, and I’m sure that most of them remembered it for the rest of their lives.”

Many of the Munchkin actors have denied the claims, arguing that they worked hard for little pay. Munchkin actress Margaret Pellegrini told The Independent in 2009, “There were a lot of them who liked to go out and have a few drinks, but nothing got out of hand. Everyone was having a good time and enjoying themselves. There was no rowdiness or anything like that, and those stories are very upsetting.”

Jerry Maren, the last surviving Munchkin at 97, reportedly asked, “How could you get drunk on $50 a week?” He added, “There were a couple of kids from Germany who liked to drink beer. They drank beer morning, noon and night, and got in a little trouble. They wanted to meet the girls, but they were the only ones.”

In addition to the Munchkin allegations, Luft’s memoir details his love affair with Garland, including her drug addictions and multiple suicide attempts.

http://people.com/celebrity/teenage-...er-ex-husband/
Old 02-08-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Teenage Judy Garland Was Repeatedly Molested by Munchkins on Set of Wizard of Oz.

No comment on your own thread???

I'd bet it is bullshit to sell a book.
Old 02-08-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Teenage Judy Garland Was Repeatedly Molested by Munchkins on Set of Wizard of Oz.

I've read numerous articles and interviews with little people who played Munchkins, one of them even wrote a book that was incredibly interesting, and all of them say the same thing; they had a good time, but those stories about drunken orgies and rampages through town were not true. They behaved as you would expect.

"...they picked them up in butterfly nets."
The allegations against the munchkins always seem to be cartoonish stuff like Garland's line about butterfly nets. Because the munchkins were midgets and dwarves, they weren't thought of as being the same as "normal people", and so it was more exciting to create this fantasy image of mischievous troublemakers causing scenes and being outrageous. It always comes off sounding very dehumanizing.
Old 02-08-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
No comment on your own thread???

I'd bet it is bullshit to sell a book.
1. Write bogus claims in memoir
2. Die
3. Release book
4. Profit?
Old 02-08-17, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
1. Write bogus claims in memoir
2. Die
3. Release book
4. Profit?
5. Post exaggerated misleading thread title
Old 02-08-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Of course it's true. Everyone knows midgets are inherently molesters.
Old 02-08-17, 06:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So the Chevy Chase movie Under the Rainbow is basically a documentary.
Old 02-08-17, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

That's all just locker room hijinks
Old 02-08-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So the Chevy Chase movie Under the Rainbow is basically a documentary.
First thing I thought of when I heard the news.

Old 02-08-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Little tiny hands grabbing at an unwilling woman's pussy...

Where have I heard that before?
Old 02-08-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Sean Spicer, spokesperson for the Lollipop Guild, denounced the rumors, saying they were "a bunch of half-truths that wouldn't stack up". Spicer went on to add "If there were any small morsel of truth to these low-down claims, Nehi would not have signed on as a sponsor."

PS -- where were all these Munchkins when I was acting?
Old 02-09-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Spoiler: