Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Old 02-21-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How about dumb ass framing/setups that don't happen in real life? I mean who has a conversation like this:

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is Vin Diesel a giant?
Looks like some kind of forced perspective shot, where The Rock is standing to Vin Diesel's right so he'll look like a Hobbit when it's filmed.
Old 02-21-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Looks like some kind of forced perspective shot, where The Rock is standing to Vin Diesel's right so he'll look like a Hobbit when it's filmed.
I think it's more of a, "I was getting ready to walk past you, but am pausing to make a final bad-ass comment before moving on, but we won't look each other in the eye because we hate each other" scenario.

Along the same lines, as is popular in soap operas, I hate it when a distraught character turns their back on someone they're talking to (thus facing the camera) and they continue to talk without facing each other. I've never seen this happen in real life, except for a buddy of mine who used to do this to me when pretending to be upset with something I said. (This same friend also used to like to throw down his napkin in anger and leave the table as if insulted.)
Old 02-21-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I think it's more of a, "I was getting ready to walk past you, but am pausing to make a final bad-ass comment before moving on, but we won't look each other in the eye because we hate each other" scenario.

Along the same lines, as is popular in soap operas, I hate it when a distraught character turns their back on someone they're talking to (thus facing the camera) and they continue to talk without facing each other. I've never seen this happen in real life, except for a buddy of mine who used to do this to me when pretending to be upset with something I said. (This same friend also used to like to throw down his napkin in anger and leave the table as if insulted.)
I hope you bought him a box of tampons because no self respecting guy would do that.
Old 02-21-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I hope you bought him a box of tampons because no self respecting guy would do that.
Um, he was joking (see bold text) in case that wasn't clear.
Old 02-21-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Someone already mentioned this, but I have to re-state it as it is the one thing above all others that takes me out of a film....the use of 555 for phone numbers.

The worst example was in an Eastwood film, (I can't remember which), where he checks somebody's phone book and every number starts with 555. They might as well have had the entire film crew in the shot.
Old 02-21-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Here's similar one I ran across yesterday from the Expanse tv show. Two characters. The one she is talking to is sitting directly behind her. She never turns around, gets up or looks at said character. Like Fast Five, I think it's just for style, but it's weird and pulls me out.

and while we're on sci-fi, how is it that we are able to advance our technology for space travel, starting other civilizations and even travelling light years away in some cases, yet communication devices haven't advanced since 1990. Sure they look fancy and high tech, but sound quality is shit; they are choppy, static-y and unreliable.