Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Old 01-26-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,907 Likes on 4,030 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Originally Posted by mrhan
Also, removing or covering brand badges. Like we wouldn't know what brand the car is. They do it a lot in commercials when the focus is on an entirely different product they are selling.
Along that line : In Marvel movies, people wear baseball caps without logos. NOBODY wears baseball caps without logos.
Spoiler:

Old 01-26-17, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ But conversely when there IS blatant product placement going on, for example the only soda you see in the whole movie is Pepsi. Also any movie from Sony Pictures (Columbia or TriStar, which used to be owned by Coca-Cola oddly enough) ...
I remember reading a critic's review of the product placement for Coke in Murphy's Romance. He pointed to a scene where Sally Field's son asks a shopkeeper for a job, and is turned down. On the wall behind the shopkeeper, flanking him, are banners for Pepsi, which the critic noted, given the shopkeeper's attitude, seemed like Nazi swastika banners.
Old 01-26-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh
I remember reading a critic's review of the product placement for Coke in Murphy's Romance. He pointed to a scene where Sally Field's son asks a shopkeeper for a job, and is turned down. On the wall behind the shopkeeper, flanking him, are banners for Pepsi, which the critic noted, given the shopkeeper's attitude, seemed like Nazi swastika banners.
Advertisements in movies can be a little bit dicey. On one hand the companies love the fact that their advertisement will last forever on home video, steaming etc but on the other hand, perceptions change over time such as a movie like Leonard Part 6 with Bill Cosby holding a Coke throughout the whole movie.

In 1987 a bottle of Coke in the hands of Bill Cosby was a great promotion but it would be considered brand-damage when seen today. OK, Leonard Part 6 might be bad example because nobody remembers or cares about that movie... but you get the idea.

Last edited by orangerunner; 01-26-17 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Old 01-26-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Advertisements in movies can be a little bit dicey. One one hand the companies love the fact that their advertisement will last forever on home video, steaming etc but on the other hand, perceptions change over time such as a movie like Leonard Part 6 with Bill Cosby holding a Coke throughout the whole movie.

In 1987 a bottle of Coke in the hands of Bill Cosby was a great promotion but it would be considered brand-damage when seen today. OK, Leonard Part 6 might be bad example because nobody remembers or cares about that movie... but you get the idea.
I loved the first five but I think 6 went to the well once to often.

Also I've seen movies that when rereleased products are blurred out because they lose rights or something to that effect. Isn't a Coke sign, in the diner scene of Grease blurred out for such a reason?

I'm going to add just about anything done in front of a green screen. Whether it's driving, or walking away slowly from an explosion. No matter how good an actor, people don't act like a normal person would act. I realize green careen technology is necessary for safety in many cases but most of the time it is terribly noticeable and takes me right out of the movie.
Old 01-26-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
His physique is not natural, but he is not supposed to be superhuman. He is simply supposed to be the peak of what a human being is capable of.

The movies push this of course with things like him holding down the helicopter, but that's the way he has always been defined in the comics, peak human condition, not superhuman.
Yeah, he is. He is superhuman in the same way other heroes like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and a bunch of other got their super powers. Batman is more of what your talking about.
Old 01-26-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The 555 phone number thing has always bothered the shit out of me. Takes me out of the film and then I wonder why nobody on the production cared enough to use their own number. Just change it later if enough idiots keep calling.
Old 01-26-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
NOBODY wears baseball caps without logos.
I have a plain black one I wear now and then.

I don't like multiple messages, so if I'm wearing a rock band tshirt, I don't want to have a sports team on my head as well. I'll wear the plain cap then. It's a Metallica day or a Cubs day, but not both at the same time.
Old 01-26-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,907 Likes on 4,030 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I'll see your Wayne's World and raise you a Mac & Me :

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NdvO0tmNjGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-26-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 735 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, he is. He is superhuman in the same way other heroes like Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and a bunch of other got their super powers. Batman is more of what your talking about.
It was not achieved naturally, but he is not supposed to have any powers that could not be achieved through the right regimen of diet, training, exercise, and natural genetic gifts.
Old 01-26-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
The 555 phone number thing has always bothered the shit out of me. Takes me out of the film and then I wonder why nobody on the production cared enough to use their own number. Just change it later if enough idiots keep calling.
This seems to be getting phased out in favor of numbers which start with 1 in the prefix. So 212-123-4567 for example.

I suppose this looks a little more realistic but it's still obviously fake.
Old 01-26-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,270 Likes on 926 Posts

Whenever there is a helicopter chasing people on foot, it'll fly past them then go a little ways and turn around. While it's turning around the people will run in a different direction or they'll hide. Uh, you're in a helicopter. It's not a plane. You don't fly past people. You can hover over them.
Old 01-26-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,393 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This seems to be getting phased out in favor of numbers which start with 1 in the prefix. So 212-123-4567 for example.

I suppose this looks a little more realistic but it's still obviously fake.
When we watched Despicable Me 2, I noticed that the phone number wasn't fake. It was a promotional number, and to me it stuck out like a sore thumb.
Old 01-26-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
When we watched Despicable Me 2, I noticed that the phone number wasn't fake. It was a promotional number, and to me it stuck out like a sore thumb.
They did the same thing on Better Call Saul. Jimmy McGill's no. goes straight to voice mail. 505-842-5662
Old 01-26-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sidewalks that are soaking wet at night, even though it's not raining.
Streets and sidewalks are watered down for night scenes because they photograph better that way. A dry street would just look like a big (crushed) black blob. The water provides visible texture and contours to make the scene more visually appealing.
Old 01-26-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. When someone is carrying a sack of groceries, and there's a large, unwrapped stick of French bread poking out the top of the bag. Double points if its set amid a bouquet of likewise unwrapped green leafy vegetables.

2. When someone drops or tips over a sack of groceries and a dozen oranges roll out.

3. Someone gets a phone call and they're instructed to turn on their television. When they do, the television is tuned to a news report giving the exact information needed. Apparently these people don't have cable or DirecTV. I guess it's more "dramatic" than just giving a simple information dump, but nobody does that. I'm never going to call someone up when something important happens and just tell them to turn on their tv.

4. In a similar vein, "You need to see this for yourself." Perfectly shown in "Alien" when Ash calls Dallas after Kane wakes up. Instead of just telling Dallas that Kane had woken up from his coma, he calls him to the infirmary. Whenever I see these things, I just want to scream "JUST FUCKING SAY IT!"
Old 01-26-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Women waking up with full make up and combed hair.
Old 01-26-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A woman, alone in her home, who gets out of the shower and immediately wraps a large towel tightly around her body.
Old 01-26-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cars that are hit in chase scenes that don't have damage in the next scene even though the same chase is still going on. Or when said car finally crashes or explodes it is usually an older version of the same car.
Old 01-26-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
The studio should get a real telephone number and then when audience members call the number they get a message that advertises the film further.

Maybe a funny message from the actor whose number it was supposed to be in the film? It would be a cheap enough marketing tool.
Old 01-26-17, 10:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

When no one blocks a punch during a boxing match (i.e. Rocky movies).
Old 01-26-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've often wondered what kind of dipshit would bother calling up a phone number they heard or saw in a tv show or movie, necessitating the unused 555.

I mean, okay, maybe if it was for the Ghostbusters or 867-5309, but just some random number a character tossed out?
Old 01-26-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 735 Likes on 362 Posts

In Bruce Almighty, Jim Carrey received a page from "God" with a real phone number on it (no area code). They had to go back and change it to a 555 number on the home release, because people who had that number complained about their phones blowing up with calls for God.
Old 01-26-17, 11:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Independance Day - when Will Smith walks out of his house to get the paper. He's reading the paper, then notices the neighbors to his right and left are outside standing still, staring. He finally looks up AT THAT MASSIVE FUCKING SPACESHIP IN THE SKY. Then his wife walks out out and is all like "What? Why are you staring?" The she finally looks up as well, just like the entire neighborhood is already doing.

I thought this was isolated stupidness on behalf of Emmerich, but I've realized several other movies show characters that have that delayed reaction to something major that's going on, usually right in front of them.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-26-17 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 11:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

That one reminds of when a character is bad mouthing another character, while the one being bad-mouthed is right behind the character speaking, and without looking the bad-mouther ends with "and he's standing right behind me, isn't he?"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.