Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-02-18, 12:03 AM   #176
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Terminator: Rebotoot (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron produc

I think part of the problem I have with the image too is thereís nothing about it that really says Terminator aside from Linda Hamilton. I mean sure people can speculate about the one girl being a Terminator but aside from guessing thatís the case Iím not seeing any solid evidence from that picture. Why not show John or Arnold as well? Maybe something that indicates this is Terminator and not just some post-apocalyptic film. Maybe some evidence of Skynet or an endoskeleton or something. Even just a logo or something. I get itís one image but itís the first thing weíre seeing and it doesnít feel like Terminator or does anything to make me excited. It feels like some badly photoshopped image of the three actresses against a generic post-apocalyptic backdrop.
Old 08-02-18, 12:08 AM   #177
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Terminator: Rebotoot (2019, D: Miller) Schwarzenegger, Hamilton -- Cameron produc

Maybe they are going to use a good female terminator which Cameron had planned for T3? A female Terminator sounds kinda nice:

Not to mention pretty fucking badass.
Old 08-02-18, 12:12 AM   #178
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think part of the problem I have with the image too is there’s nothing about it that really says Terminator aside from Linda Hamilton. I mean sure people can speculate the one girl being a Terminator but aside from guessing that I’m not seeing any solid evidence. Why not show John or Arnold as well?
Because they showed John Connor in the last two, and those did poorly. Arnold was the star of the last one, and that did poorly.

So featuring three female leads, one of them a familiar face who has no recent box-office poison hanging around her neck is an attempt to make it feel new and distance itself from Salvation and Genisys.

Quote:
Maybe something that indicates this is Terminator and not just some post-apocalyptic film. Maybe some evidence of Skynet or an endoskeleton or something. Even just a logo or something. I get it’s one image but it’s the first thing we’re seeing and it doesn’t feel like Terminator or does anything to make me excited.
Honestly, if they had the familiar imagery/logo's I'd probably roll my eyes. The series is old hat.

So instead, we just get an image of an elderly, non-Game of Thrones Sarah Connor (no Daenerys Targaryen, no Cersei Lannister), a non-binary gendered Terminator, and a female PoC. Stuff like that gets people talking. Yet another pic of a way past-his-prime Arnie is not going sell this movie.
Old 08-02-18, 12:13 AM   #179
DVD Talk Legend

The female aspect is fine. I donít care about that Iím just saying thereís nothing about that picture that stands out as being Terminator.

Literally if Linda Hamilton wasnít in it (and how many people other than diehard fans even recognize or know who she is) what about that picture says anything that this is a Terminator movie and not something else?
Old 08-02-18, 12:19 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
]

Not to mention pretty fucking badass.
I like that sculpt too, but I think a female Terminator that looks like that is a little too obvious and pandering in 2018.

I'm not digging the Armin Arlert look-alike in the promo pic but I think that's a better direction to go in as opposed to the fan-service approach.
Old 08-02-18, 12:22 AM   #181

Quote:
Literally if Linda Hamilton wasnít in it (and how many people other than diehard fans even recognize or know who she is) what about that picture says anything that this is a Terminator movie and not something else?
I think that's the point. They're going for ambiguity, for now at least.

That promo picture looks like it could be for an upcoming season of The Walking Dead. A Mad Max-type film? Who knows. But you slap the Terminator logo on it, and people associate with the last string of stinkers.
Old 08-02-18, 12:28 AM   #182
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. Trying to disguise it as something it isnít in hopes of getting people excited because youíre embarrassed about the past history of your franchise doesnít exactly say much for it in my opinion.
Old 08-02-18, 12:46 AM   #183
DVD Talk Godfather

As I said, Arnold reportedly just started his work on the movie in the last week or so. So stills/footage of him as the Terminator are probably not usable at this time.

https://movieweb.com/terminator-6-fi...chwarzenegger/

He has yet to be seen on set in Hungary.

MacKenzie Davis is reportedly the new star/lead of the series when she was announced as a cast member back in March.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...ot-1202719960/

They probably wanted to start selling her character now even though it's super early because the movie doesn't come out until next November 2019. Not everyone is happy with studio publicity photos, but I guess Paramount wants to put something official out now when they have usable material as opposed to paparazzi shots leaking.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-02-18 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 07:19 PM   #184
DVD Talk Godfather

Arnold and Luna working out for the movie.

Old 08-09-18, 07:28 PM   #185
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Meh. Trying to disguise it as something it isnít in hopes of getting people excited because youíre embarrassed about the past history of your franchise doesnít exactly say much for it in my opinion.
Old 08-09-18, 08:04 PM   #186
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

Looks like the middle actor is playing a cyborg?
Linda Hamilton hasn’t aged that badly but she looks like Steven Fucking Tyler in that pic. Dream on, Linda. Dream on...

And I’m all for a badass good female terminator but couldn’t they have made her look more like the sculpture posted above? I can’t even tell if the actor in the middle is male or female. An androgynous terminator doesn’t seem very interesting (or badass) to me.
Old 08-09-18, 08:17 PM   #187
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Linda Hamilton hasnít aged that badly but she looks like Steven Fucking Tyler in that pic. Dream on, Linda. Dream on...
At least she ain't no Steven Fucking Segal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
And Iím all for a badass good female terminator but couldnít they have made her look more like the sculpture posted above? I canít even tell if the actor in the middle is male or female. An androgynous terminator doesnít seem very interesting (or badass) to me.
If they were to put Justin Bieber in the role you couldn't tell them both apart.
Old 08-09-18, 08:27 PM   #188
DVD Talk Legend

No adam's apple, it's a picture of three women.

Updated! My 2017 October Horror Movie Challenge compilation video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJhzKIvmDlI
Old 08-10-18, 01:27 AM   #189
DVD Talk Gold Edition

She looks a bit like a titan from Attack on Titan in the poster.
Old 08-10-18, 02:23 AM   #190
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I think Linda Hamilton looks pretty good. Looking forward to her in this role again. Although I'm pretty apprehensive about the rest of the movie.

For me the terminator trilogy will always be:

The Terminator. T2. T2-3D. And that's it. It works perfectly like this.