Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Natalie Portman Earning 3 Times Less Money Than Co-Star

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

In a recent interview actress Natalie Portman claims that her paycheques for starring in "No Strings Attached" was three times less than co-star Ashton Kutcher.

The article goes on to debate whether there is gender-bias in Hollywood.

It's an old story but the bottom line is there is no fairness when it comes to payouts in Hollywood. As a star, you are only worth what your last films' box office receipts say you're worth.

Julia Roberts makes more money per film than Richard Gere. Why? Because Julia Roberts has more box office hits. Simple as that.

If you're a big star in an ensemble cast, I imagine the pay is less because of less screen time.

I'm pretty sure the union's scale rates for both actors and actresses are the same. Star salaries? They're negotiable. The star (or agent) wants the most amount of money and the studio wants to pay the least it can get away with.

Some actors overplay their hand. I recall Vin Diesel asking some outrageous amount of money at the time ($20 million?) for 2 Fast 2 Furious. The studio called his bluff and just brought back Paul Walker.

Even some films that make a lot of money don't necessarily justify higher pay for the lead star.

An example off the top of my head is the 1989 Batman. I think it was the top grossing film that year but it didn't put Michael Keaton in a position where he could write his own paycheck for his next project.

What studio executives felt was that the success of that film was attributed to Jack Nicholson and the familiarity of the Batman franchise - not Michael Keaton.

They were right. Michael Keaton, an excellent actor, did not have the same box office draw as stars like Jack Nicholson, Kevin Costner, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis & Tom Cruise - who drew in audiences simply by putting their name above the title.

Box office numbers proved this to be true so they continued to cash bigger & bigger cheques. As soon as their box office numbers dropped, their paycheques shrunk.
Old 01-13-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Natalie Portman Earning 3 Times Less Money Than Co-Star

Earned 3 times as less, this was about 1 movie she did.

That's more or less poor negotiating skills there, but I can't recall how popular Ashton Kutcher was back then.
Old 01-13-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Sfw...
Old 01-13-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

It's "One third as much", not "three times less".

And the movie was fucking awful.
Old 01-13-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I saw No Strings Attached. She was overpaid.
Old 01-13-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's "One third as much", not "three times less".
You'll have to inform Emily Yahr of The Washington Post (writer of the original article) that her grammar is not up to snuff.
Old 01-13-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
You'll have to inform Emily Yahr of The Washington Post (writer of the original article) that her grammar is not up to snuff.
And have her snipe at me for "mansplaining"? No thanks.
Old 01-13-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Then don't sign on to do the movie. Problem Solved.
Old 01-13-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

In an ideal world they both should have been paid the same. Which is nothing cause that movie sucked. They should had paid us!
Old 01-13-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Thats what happens when you lose the will to live instead of sucking up and raising your twins. Plus she should have slept with Jar-Jar. Plus she sucks.
Old 01-13-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If it makes her feel better, she is three times as hot as Aston, so that's something.
Old 01-13-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Show her tits. That usually helps the old wallet.
Old 01-13-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

She wasn't as big a star as Ashton was at the time simple as that and didn't have the BO or famous celeb factor clout to demand more.

Jennifer Lawrence is getting paid almost 2x as much as Chris Pratt for Passengers in base salary PLUS she gets 30% backend which if the movie makes any money could end up being way more than 3X and Chris Pratt is WAY more of a star and draw than Portman has ever been.

Yes I know this could be all related to the women pay backlash so Sony could be seen as not being guilty of not paying women fairly. However JL has proven to be a decent BO draw more so than Pratt so far anyway. Plus 3 Oscars noms and 1 win can bump your pay as well.
Old 01-13-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand JL even getting big roles. I think she's terrible lol. I actually like Natalie Portman.
Old 01-13-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I don't understand JL even getting big roles. I think she's terrible lol. I actually like Natalie Portman.
She takes great pictures, that's for damn sure.
Old 01-13-17, 05:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I thought she was pretty damned good in V for Vendetta.
Old 01-13-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

oh no a multi-millionaire didn't make quite as many millions
guess she needs a better negotiating team
Old 01-13-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apart from Star Wars (which can't count since its Star Wars), has Portman really ever been a leading star in a big hit? Co-Star in Thor but like SW, that has a build in fanbase who were going to see it no matter who starred in it.
Old 01-13-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Apart from Star Wars (which can't count since its Star Wars), has Portman really ever been a leading star in a big hit? Co-Star in Thor but like SW, that has a build in fanbase who were going to see it no matter who starred in it.
Black Swan made $106M domestic and $329M global on a budget of $13M. And she won the Oscar for it too.
Old 01-13-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

HOw much did Margot Robbins get paid for Suicide Squad? I think WIll SMith got $20 million.
Old 01-14-17, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Black Swan made $106M domestic and $329M global on a budget of $13M. And she won the Oscar for it too.
Yeah, Black Swan seems to be the movie that put Portman in the upper echelon. However, from what I can gather, the acclaim for her performance in Black Swan came after No Strings Attached so that wouldn't have played any part in negotiating her deal for No Strings Attached.
Old 01-14-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't see a gender bias even a little bit in Hollywood when it comes to stars. Whoever puts more asses in the seats gets the bigger paycheck. Some men get paid more than women and some women get paid more than men. If someone is going to earn you box office receipts you're going to get paid. Like these shark agents/managers/lawyers/publicists aren't squeezing every last dime out of studio's.

I think the C list actors are the ones who see more of a gender bias.
Old 01-14-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
HOw much did Margot Robbins get paid for Suicide Squad? I think WIll SMith got $20 million.
Not sure about Margot Robbins, but Margot Robbie most certainly will get a very nice pay bump for Gotham City Sirens.
Old 01-14-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Are you really comparing a rookie actress to an actor that was not only in 14 films that grossed more than $100m but was the lead carrying all 14 films?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I don't see a gender bias even a little bit in Hollywood when it comes to stars. Whoever puts more asses in the seats gets the bigger paycheck. Some men get paid more than women and some women get paid more than men. If someone is going to earn you box office receipts you're going to get paid.
This is all it boils down to. Will Smith still gets asses in seats so Will Smith still gets $20m per gig.

The big difference that I notice in regards to gender is that when an actress gets hot, like Jennifer Lawrence, Hollywood tends to focus on that one leading lady getting all the choice roles. On the flip side all the male roles are spread around multiple leading men.
Old 01-14-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is routinely a list of overpaid actors and actresses. I do know Kutcher was extremely hot at the time. Was this a Kutcher vehicle and they were just looking for a love interest, or was this an ensemble, or was it a Portman vehicle they needed a leading man for. If it was the first she has nothing to complain about. Second or third then yes she got screwed.

I know Lawrence complained she was paid less than Cooper in one of their movies even though it was a joint project. Again though not sure if he was hot after the Hangover movies and her star was still rising or not.

She is a great actress and I would certainly be willing to bang her if she asked nicely. However, would the same audience have gone to see Kutcher with some other leading lady as much as Portman with another leading man? My guess is with the intended audience of that movie, Kutcher was the draw.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.