Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest audience reaction you saw in a theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious to know what was the strongest audience reaction/applause you've witnessed in recent years. I don't go to the theater much, but I do remember one quite vividly: Godzilla blasting atomic breath down the throat of the second MUTO. Man did the crowd go nuts.

Your experience?
Old 12-27-16, 09:31 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
re: Biggest audience reaction you saw in a theater?

Han Solo's appearance in SW:TFA trailer.
Old 12-27-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

"Uncle Fucka" in South Park:BLU. It was like we were witnessing a live performance with the hootin and hollerin and applause.
Old 12-27-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Most memorable has to be the bus scene from the original Final Destination. Packed house and every mother fucker in the place jumped in sync. Man, it was epic. It was just like the test screening footage they used in trailers.
Old 12-27-16, 10:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hannibal Lector removing the flesh mask in the back of the ambulance. Never heard so much shrieking in my life prior to that moment. Almost equal was in the same movie when Buffalo Bill reaches out to grab Clarice Starling in the dark.
Old 12-27-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Grindhouse opening night at around 9PM. You could just feel that everyone was there for Tarantino and Rodriguez. Lots of moments to cheer or lol in both parts.

First time I ever remember applause at the end was Fight Club. So many people were worked up over that movie back in 1999.

Oddly, both of those had disappointing theatrical runs. I was sure Grindhouse was going to be a huge hit because Planet Terror was so brisk and enjoyable.
Old 12-27-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

At a 24 hour Horror Marathon during the Midwest premiere of Dead Alive (then called Brain Dead), when the Kung Fu fighting priest announced that, "I kick arse for the Lord," the place exploded.
Old 12-28-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Cache, the scene where the guy goes to visit the kid's father at his apartment
Spoiler:
and the father abruptly pulls out a knife and slits his own throat

people were practically falling out of their seats. It was so out of the blue I was totally flabbergasted.

During a midnight screening of Friday the 13th Part 2, when Jason broke through the window without his mask the guy sitting next to me jolted and screamed this high pitched Ned Flanders shriek at the top of his lungs and the entire audience laughed their ass off.

Pulp Fiction had lots of loud reactions during the needle-to-the-heart scene, blowing Marvin's head off, but the loudest shocked expressions always were from the shot where Butch pushes that basement door open.
Old 12-28-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The crowd went nuts when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber in Attack of the Clones - it actually drowned out the sound system for the duration of the fight scene, like a Beatles concert.
Old 12-28-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Grindhouse opening night at around 9PM. You could just feel that everyone was there for Tarantino and Rodriguez. Lots of moments to cheer or lol in both parts.

First time I ever remember applause at the end was Fight Club. So many people were worked up over that movie back in 1999.

Oddly, both of those had disappointing theatrical runs. I was sure Grindhouse was going to be a huge hit because Planet Terror was so brisk and enjoyable.
This. QT was actually at our showing at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
Old 12-28-16, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Godzilla blasting atomic breath down the throat of the second MUTO. Man did the crowd go nuts.
I'll bet those three people woke up everyone else in the theater!
Old 12-28-16, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

(Harry Potter spoilers)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oybz5Q-If9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-28-16, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
(Harry Potter spoilers)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oybz5Q-If9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Probably quite a few crowd pleasers in that movie...

Old 12-28-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Humanoids From The Deep. When the humanoid baby burst out of the pregnant girl's stomach. Place went nuts.

Used to go to the $1.00 midnight movies on weekends in the 1970s. They were always counter culture stuff like Woodstock, Alice's Restaurant, Easy Rider, etc.
Everybody there was either drunk or stoned. Once the trailer for The Odessa File was shown before the movie. There was a scene in the trailer of a big neo-Nazi rally. Everybody in the theater stood up and began "Sieg Heil!"-ing the screen.
Old 12-28-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Since I'm in the Midwest, it was the 128 ounce bladder buster I saw someone order before Godzilla 98.
Old 12-28-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rocky 2
Old 12-28-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Lawrence of Arabia in September. 900 people, and a lot of first timers. So there were a lot of laughs (and one or two at normal moments), and gasps at a certain reveal. I've seen it 6 or 7 times in theaters, and that was the biggest/most reactive audience by far.
Old 12-28-16, 08:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

-- "He did too much LDS in the sixties" -- Star Trek IV
-- "Always bet on black!" -- Passenger 57

and most recently, watching La La Land over the weekend:

Spoiler:
"George Michael!"
Old 12-28-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Curious to know what was the strongest audience reaction/applause you've witnessed in recent years. I don't go to the theater much, but I do remember one quite vividly: Godzilla blasting atomic breath down the throat of the second MUTO. Man did the crowd go nuts.

Your experience?
Most recently, it was during SHIN GODZILLA this past October when the Big G lets loose with his flame breath in Tokyo for the first time. The audience roared and applauded.

50 years ago, it was YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE when the ninjas streamed into the volcano and the swordsman started slicing up Blofeld's workers.

Old 12-28-16, 10:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw Jaws at a special screening at Radio City Music Hall in 1996, and even though we all knew it was coming...Ben Gardner's Head caused the whole place to jump
Old 12-28-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Off to the top of my head, Grindhouse (2007) & Godzilla (2014).

I saw Grindhouse in a packed theater opening weekend and the audience reacted during just about everything.

The audience I saw Godzilla with was also full (opening weekend) and a specific scene near the end of the film had everyone cheering.
Old 12-28-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Independence Day opening weekend. The first time I ever heard an audience start cheering and clapping is when the first missile makes it through the alien shields. They cheered again when the ship over Area 51 started blowing up.
Old 12-28-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

I remember seeing "Die Hard" the first time at a crowded evening show at one of the town's bigger theaters. When John McClane finally gets the drop on Hans Gruber (a great moment), the ovation was so loud that neither I nor the friend I saw it with could hear the line that immediately followed ("Happy Trails, Hans").
Old 12-28-16, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'll bet those three people woke up everyone else in the theater!

Similarly, when the Peter Jackson "King Kong" abortion remake came out back in 2005, it put a sold-out audience in the megaplex's biggest theater a near-coma for obvious reasons.

When King finally closed his eyes and SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYY fell off the Empire State Building, someone in the theater didn't exactly YELL out, but announced in a louder-than-normal voice, "FINALLY!!" and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. The timing, the tone, the cathartic release of frustration at this bloated mess of a movie, it all culminated at once into this communal geshreit the hardly abides the telling... except that it does!
Old 12-28-16, 01:22 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Similarly, when the Peter Jackson "King Kong" abortion remake came out back in 2005, it put a sold-out audience in the megaplex's biggest theater a near-coma for obvious reasons.

When King finally closed his eyes and SLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYY fell off the Empire State Building, someone in the theater didn't exactly YELL out, but announced in a louder-than-normal voice, "FINALLY!!" and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. The timing, the tone, the cathartic release of frustration at this bloated mess of a movie, it all culminated at once into this communal geshreit the hardly abides the telling... except that it does!
I remember seeing this at a midnight showing. Packed crowd, and nearly everyone seemed to doze off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.