Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest audience reaction you saw in a theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Biggest audience reaction you saw in a theater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Biggest audience reaction you saw in a theater?

When Hulk smashed Loki in "The Avengers" the pop was so loud the "Puny god" line was completely drowned out. I've heard big audience pops before but the decibel level was off the charts.

Godzilla's atomic breath in both the 2014 and 2016 films each got a huge reaction, too. Of course, it helps I saw both with a packed house full of G fans.
Old 12-28-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

The big "reveal" in The Crying Game.
Old 12-28-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The big "reveal" in The Crying Game.
Ha, yeah, I can only imagine. That one I didn't see until it came out on video.

I am kind of drawing a blank on this question, but I can remember a few without spending too much time pondering:

1. The "Do you like apples?" scene from Good Will Hunting caused the theater to explode with laughter.

2. L.A. Confidential, when:

Spoiler:

Dudley Smith shoots Vincennes in his kitchen

Huge amounts of loud gasps and "holy shit!"s. I don't think anyone saw that coming, myself included.

3. Not so much the movie itself, but when I went to see Contagion, the film ended and faded to the opening credits and people were just starting to get up to leave when a guy in the middle of the theater faked a very loud and violent coughing fit. There was a moment of awkward silence and then the whole crowd burst into laughter.

Not so much a particular moment, but I do have vivid memories of seeing Aliens in a packed theater as well. That was tense and fun.
Old 12-28-16, 02:10 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The end of the Blair Witch Project caused the whole audience at my showing to poop, so probably that one.
Old 12-28-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 293 Likes on 243 Posts

Islandclaws...this, I was going to post that The Avengers had a scene or two that had the audience clapping loudly and enthusiastically. Heck, I chuckled when I would witness the audience clapping when a trailer for an upcoming Marvel film started playing.
Old 12-28-16, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, it was BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA. The audience I was with when it first came out really loved it. They were laughing and screaming throughout, but the scene that had them roaring was when Jack Burton shoots his gun up in the air and knocks himself out from the falling ceiling. The audience blew the roof off from laughing so hard!
Old 12-28-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

As a teenager, I recall damn near everyone in the theater roaring through most of the Home Alone trailer, and well into the trailer that followed it. Florida...
Old 12-28-16, 03:03 PM

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I'll post more examples later, but the one off the top of my head is seeing Bowfinger at the Mall of America movie theater in a sold-out show on opening night. The audience was biting at every funny bit, perpetuating each other. Eddie Murphy running across the highway was one of the biggest communal laughs I can recall ever experiencing.

The MOA theater was a General Cinemas back then, closed for a while, reopened as the Theaters at MOA, and now they're closing again to create a new attraction. In less than a week, no more movies at the MOA. Which floors me, because not only is it a staple of that mall, it's a great theater. Bummer.

Last edited by story; 12-28-16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trainspotting: worst toilet in Scotland, people went crazy. I was the only one in the movie theater.

Rogue One. Watched on Thursday release week. So full theater, Star Wars geeks. All of them went crazy in the last minutes. DV scene they were literally squealing! I've never heard something like that.
Old 12-28-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I tend to go to movies when the theaters aren't crowded, so audience reactions tend to be subdued.

The craziest reaction I remember was seeing E.T. when I was a kid.

When Elliot called his brother "penis breath" the audience went nuts. So much so, in fact, that I couldn't hear what was said. Everyone in the theater but me must have known it was coming.
Old 12-28-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I remember seeing this at a midnight showing. Packed crowd, and nearly everyone seemed to doze off.
I don't think I've ever been to a movie where most of the audience dozed off...although it's most likely I wouldn't have known because I would have been asleep also!
Old 12-28-16, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 984 Likes on 821 Posts

I'm going anti-pop because it was an experience like no other. Saw Schindler's List when it opened on xmas whenever, 93? Packed house. When it was over not one person moved or uttered a sound for nearly 15 minutes. Not a peep. Not a movement. I didn't really understand it bc I had never experienced anything like that, but nonetheless was something I will never forget...
Old 12-29-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,061 Likes on 652 Posts

I saw Drag Me To Hell with a pretty lively crowd. Everyone was really into the jump scares and having a good time. During the seance scene when they draw the demon spirit into the goat and he starts yelling and biting, everyone in the audience lost it. An initial reaction of 'holy fuck!' and then just laughing hysterically.
Old 12-29-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm going anti-pop because it was an experience like no other. Saw Schindler's List when it opened on xmas whenever, 93? Packed house. When it was over not one person moved or uttered a sound for nearly 15 minutes. Not a peep. Not a movement. I didn't really understand it bc I had never experienced anything like that, but nonetheless was something I will never forget...
I had pretty much the same experience.

As for biggest pop, some dude sitting a few seats down in Debbie Does Dallas
Old 12-29-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I saw Hannibal with a largely high school and college crowd, the scene where he feeds Ray Liota's brain to himself had the loudest mix of gross out and hysterical laughter I can remember. It was fantastic.
Old 12-29-16, 08:26 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar

3. Not so much the movie itself, but when I went to see Contagion, the film ended and faded to the opening credits and people were just starting to get up to leave when a guy in the middle of the theater faked a very loud and violent coughing fit. There was a moment of awkward silence and then the whole crowd burst into laughter.
OK... that made me
Old 12-29-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one I remember most is Star Wars, seeing it as a 9 year-old in the summer of '77, when Han and Chewie came back to save Luke in the Death Star battle.

I seem to remember that the movie had already been playing for quite a while when I saw it, and I think many people in the theater had already seen it at least once.
Old 12-30-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 984 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Wish I could say the same. When I saw Schindler's List, there was a couple making out the entire length of the film.
Old 12-30-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Wish I could say the same. When I saw Schindler's List, there was a couple making out the entire length of the film.
I hope you told the girl's parents. They're on your route, aren't they?
Old 12-31-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a pop, but as far as reactions go, The Passion. Someone passed out during the flogging scene and the theater had to stop the movie and get them some medical attention. Surprisingly, they were pretty young, early 20's probably.
Old 12-31-16, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by collven
Not a pop, but as far as reactions go, The Passion. Someone passed out during the flogging scene and the theater had to stop the movie and get them some medical attention. Surprisingly, they were pretty young, early 20's probably.
A woman in Kansas actually died during a Passion screening in Kansas.

http://www.kmbc.com/article/woman-di...christ/3636625
Old 12-31-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most memorable was a midnight screening of Evil Dead 2 in 1999. The audience was lively throughout, but everyone cheered like they were at a rock concert when Ash sawed off his hand with the chainsaw.
Old 12-31-16, 04:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I hope you told the girl's parents. They're on your route, aren't they?
"That's gotta hurt!"

And biggest pop is Peter North.
Old 12-31-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts

I saw two guys seated right in front of me jump up during the final stab of Scream 4. They hooted and hollered quite a bit.
Old 12-31-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blue Velvet revival screening. when the Dennis Hopper character yells out 'Heineken HEINEKEN FUCK THAT SHIT PABST BLUE RIBBON!' Theater of 400 erupted w applause and cheers (Hopper had died a few months prior so that probably helped)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.