DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite scene or sequence in a Star Wars movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/638477-favorite-scene-sequence-star-wars-movie.html)

Michael Corvin 11-18-20 01:34 PM

Re: Favorite scene in any Star Wars Universe movie?

I've never even thought about having a favorite moment but I'll go out on a limb and pick a scene from The Force Awakens. I love when Rey and Finn take off in the Falcon for the first time on Jakku. That chase sequence is simply amazing.

Mike86 11-18-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13844897)
Darth Vader going back and forth between Luke and the Emperor as Luke is being electrocuted. That is when Vader kept his mouth shut that is. My favorite scene in movie history and Lucas has to go and fuck it up with a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13844901)
That’s the exact moment I realized George Lucas was just trolling fans. After Vader’s “Noooo!” That was panned by audiences at the end of Episode III, he adds that bullshit to RotJ?! The only explanation is Lucas is the ultimate Star Wars troll.

Everyone goes on and on about Greedo shooting first replacing Han being the only one to shoot. The Vader “noooooo” is far and away the change I despise the most. The pinnacle moment of the Original Trilogy, which was perfect as is marred by one small, but stupid word. It does seem like Lucas did it as an intentional fuck you to purists.

Draven 11-18-20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13844966)
I've never even thought about having a favorite moment but I'll go out on a limb and pick a scene from The Force Awakens. I love when Rey and Finn take off in the Falcon for the first time on Jakku. That chase sequence is simply amazing.

The little bit of that scene in the first teaser for TFA sold me on that film. Fantastic stuff.

Rob V 11-18-20 02:27 PM

Hoth is magical
Vader going apeshit in R1
but I really love the scene when Vader force-snatches Han's gun on Bespin. Love that setting, love his totally laid back attitude about being shot at.

OldBoy 11-18-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13844901)
That’s the exact moment I realized George Lucas was just trolling fans. After Vader’s “Noooo!” That was panned by audiences at the end of Episode III, he adds that bullshit to RotJ?! The only explanation is Lucas is the ultimate Star Wars troll.

oh god. he does? i haven't seen SE of RoTJ and it's next after Empire. ugh. that is gonna kill me. i can't believe they added a Noooo there. i'm gonna hate it. that and the Hayden ghost and not original Prowse. that almost broke my entire heart in part. all these changes kill me just a bit, each time, i see them...

IBJoel 11-18-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13845001)
oh god. he does? i haven't seen SE of RoTJ and it's next after Empire. ugh. that is gonna kill me. i can't believe they added a Noooo there. i'm gonna hate it. that and the Hayden ghost and not original Prowse. that almost broke my entire heart in part. all these changes kill me just a bit, each time, i see them...

Depends on which version you see. The 1997 SE didn't have it, nor the 2004 DVD release, to my knowledge. Is it just the Blu-ray edition, anyone know? I only do Harmy now when I watch the OT, but I only watch them now every now and then.

OldBoy 11-18-20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13845023)
Depends on which version you see. The 1997 SE didn't have it, nor the 2004 DVD release, to my knowledge. Is it just the Blu-ray edition, anyone know? I only do Harmy now when I watch the OT, but I only watch them now every now and then.

i have the Saga Bluray in that desert (Tatooine) color packaging. is it on that?

devilshalo 11-18-20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13844934)
And the Holdo Maneuver in The Last Jedi made my jaw drop. That was the kind of thing they would do in a novelization, not a SW movie. So cool to see.

I think that's my second favorite. I understood what she was going to do, but then to actually see it work and to know the physics behind it.. that she had to calculate hitting lightspeed just behind the cruiser.
:jawdrop:

GoldenJCJ 11-18-20 05:39 PM

The Haldo maneuver was pretty cool to see but it would have played a lot better if we knew anything about her or who the hell she even was prior to TLJ. Seeing an almost total stranger sacrifice herself doesn’t have much of an emotional impact. The fact that she was was portrayed as a shady character for 90% of the movie didn’t help either.

rennervision 11-18-20 05:44 PM

Stir whip. Stir whip. Whip. Whip. Stir.

https://i.imgur.com/eOh75Pz.jpg

Draven 11-18-20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13845116)
The Haldo maneuver was pretty cool to see but it would have played a lot better if we knew anything about her or who the hell she even was prior to TLJ. Seeing an almost total stranger sacrifice herself doesn’t have much of an emotional impact. The fact that she was was portrayed as a shady character for 90% of the movie didn’t help either.

For me it had zero to do with her sacrifice - it was just a badass moment.

OldBoy 11-18-20 07:06 PM

who was she?

Obi-Wanma 11-18-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13845202)
who was she?

Laura Dern.

Michael Corvin 11-18-20 08:27 PM

Shallow character aside, it's a damn cool visual.

GoldenJCJ 11-18-20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13845261)
Shallow character aside, it's a damn cool visual.

Yep. And people mentioned the scene from Attack of the Clones with the awesome sound design, I’ll add the Haldo Maneuver scene was all the more badass due to its sound design - complete silence.

Michael Corvin 11-18-20 08:35 PM

:up:

JTH182 11-18-20 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13844568)
The entire throne room sequence in Return of the Jedi. Specifically after Luke goes too far with Vader and the Emperor is cackling for him to join the Dark Side. Then Luke defiantly telling him he’ll never join the Dark Side.

Also when Luke is captured the scene outside the throne room with Luke trying to plead with Vader one last time.

This.

OldBoy 11-18-20 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13845212)
Laura Dern.

no, I know who she is in movie, it sounded like she had more of story in books or something...

SmackDaddy 11-19-20 06:36 AM

Vader going nuts at the end of Rogue One. It's the only time in the film series where he goes absolutely bonkers and just straight up killing people. The Holdo Maneuver gets a special mention from a "still shot" visual for me.

Michael Corvin 11-19-20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 13845405)
Vader going nuts at the end of Rogue One. It's the only time in the film series where he goes absolutely bonkers and just straight up killing people.

Killing a dozen kids doesn't hit your radar?

SmackDaddy 11-19-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13845724)
Killing a dozen kids doesn't hit your radar?

It was implied, not shown. same with the Tusken Raider camp, you get one strike, then a film wipe. And well, that was angsty Anakin. I stand by MY favorite scene.

lopper 11-19-20 04:49 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...742cc2eaf6.jpg
I just love the entire throne room scene preceding this shot.

OldBoy 11-19-20 07:27 PM

The lightsaber battle with Luke and Vader at end of Empire. Incredible.

asianxcore 11-19-20 11:27 PM

The entirety of Rey's introduction in The Force Awakens (2015).

Everything from scavenging the Star Destroyer & sliding down the dunes to coming home to the AT-AT Walker.

rocket1312 11-20-20 08:03 AM

For my money, that scene at the end of Rogue One is 100% fan wank bs. I get why people like it, but it's not for me.

Tough to say what my choice is, but I'll pick one no one has mentioned yet: the asteroid field. The music, peak Han and special effects that to me are still more convincing than 95% of the cgi monstrosities coming out these days. (I assume we'll see another one of those someday.)