Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I, Tonya (2018, D: Craig Gillespie) S: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I, Tonya (2018, D: Craig Gillespie) S: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-18, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Re: I, Tonya (2018, D: Craig Gillespie) S: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Jan

I saw it over the weekend and agree the acting was good, but the content itself just didn't do much for me. I have no desire to see it again.
Old 01-17-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: I, Tonya (2018, D: Craig Gillespie) S: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, Allison Jan

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some was CG.
That too.
Old 01-22-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it over the weekend and it was fantastic. Day 1 purchase.
Old 01-22-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Saw this this weekend. It was great, sad, funny, disturbing.
Even my 15 year son who never heard of her before said "It was better than i thought it would be."
Old 02-02-18, 05:32 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqgD6lHrQ_8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hfS51FeDz14" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-02-18, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm surpised this movie was even made, simply because they have done so many Tonya/Nancy documentaries over the years. And who really cares about Tonya's life? I wouldn't even care if they did a Bio on Nancy Kerrigan either.
Old 02-02-18, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Which is a big reason why I was so impressed with how entertaining this was.
Old 02-02-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

^^ Agreed. It made me feel sympathy for Tonya, which I had never considered before.
Old 03-10-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Just watched this tonight - just got a digital copy today. I really liked it and its frantic energy. Had a blast watching it with the whole family. The kids couldn't believe that it was a true story.
It had an amazingly awesome soundtrack though I thought it was weird that it was so full of Seventies songs instead of the Nineties, which is of course when the movie took place. They must have spent as much on the music rights as the cast.
Old 03-10-18, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

With 9 Best Picture nominees or whatever it is now, I cannot believe this was up for the top award.

Very entertaining, well-directed and different take with breaking the fourth wall so much, and terrific performances from the 3 main players. And the fat and devious dude was pretty darn good, too.
Old 03-10-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I enjoyed this.

Sure, the events may have been tackled many times already and the basic story is kind of frivolous and inconsequential... but as Ebert said "it's not what it's about, it's how it's about it"... and this film delivers.

This really should have been nominated for Best Picture, especially with how overrated many of the actual nominees were. Better than Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Dunkirk and Get Out.
Old 03-10-18, 10:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i frankly didn't like this one. nothing worked for me, not even Janney, who i really like. it was just blah or meh in story, acting, etc. nothing special and i was expecting a lot more based on wom and reviews...
Old 03-19-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I saw it over the weekend and agree the acting was good, but the content itself just didn't do much for me. I have no desire to see it again.
Same here and once the Kerrigan incident happened it slowed down and not that interesting. It was ok but not Oscar worthy.

I wonder after this movie if Tonya will be seen in a different light and people are more sympathetic after learning her life story.

This really should have been nominated for Best Picture, especially with how overrated many of the actual nominees were. Better than Three Billboards, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Dunkirk and Get Out.
Lady Bird and the Disaster Artist (not nominated) were better.
Old 03-19-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

First half hour is outstanding, after that it just fizzles out.
Old 03-19-18, 01:39 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I, EddieMoney plan to watch this during the week.
Old 04-08-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the heck out of the performances in this movie, especially Robbie. Janney didn't do as much as I expected, but she was fun on screen in the time she had. I never knew that much about the backstory to all the Kerrigan stuff, so it was entertaining to see and read about on Wikipedia afterwards.
Old 04-09-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Saw this a week or two ago. The performances were pretty damn good. Janney has always been a a fave of mine. But like others have said, and I agree, it started out good...then peter'd out at some point about midway through.
Old 04-21-18, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently watched I, Tonya on Blu. Incredible film, and definitely deserves all of the accolades it received.

I don't always agree with Oscar winners/nominations, but Allison Janney absolutely killed it as LaVona Golden, Harding's mother. Incredible performance here; she physically & mentally transformed herself for this role. She didn't just portray this character, she became the character. I actually think her performance here was better than McDormand's in TBIEM (another great film) and that she should have won the Oscar for best actress.

Prior to seeing the film, I was not that familiar with this case. Sure, I remember it being all over the news back in 1994/1995, but I always thought that TH either actually smashed Kerrigan's knee herself, or had her husband do the deed. Obviously the crime itself was mean-spirited, vicious, and cowardly.

However, the reality re: who did the crime was actually a lot more complex. And, if the events of the film are what actually happened IRL (debatable, obviously), then TH didn't actually want NK to get hurt - she just wanted her to get threatened...maybe?!

Spoiler:
Based on the film, the guy that the husband/"bodyguard" got to do this was so incompetent that he actually got the wrong location at first, and then when he was there kept changing his parking place - which was all caught on security camera. All of the people involved here could definitely win the "World's Stupidest Criminals" award re: using credit cards in their own names in the area where the crime took place, Shaun & JG paying the perps. with personal checks in their name, etc. The stupidity/incompetence displayed here was amazing.

Also, JG's friend & Tonya's "bodyguard" Shaun was a truly pathetic, delusional piece of shit.

And, Tonya Harding was definitely an exceptional figure skater. She became well known for all the wrong reasons. However, if the NK tragedy had never occurred, I think she would have become somewhat well-known anyway. If nothing else, at the least she could have continued to skate professionally.
Old 04-27-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm glad this movie was made so long after the events occurred. I had forgotten all but a vague recollection of what happened -- I too was thinking that Tonya was actually the one who did the leg bashing. I remember hearing a lot in the news about the bodyguard, and I had always imagined him to be a real bodyguard, not just a fat delusional loser.
Old 04-28-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched last night and loved the film. Tonya's mom quickly looking at the bird on her shoulder and sternly telling it to "stop it!" made my day.
Old 07-02-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally watched this today. I have been interested for a long time with the strong WoM, but my wife had no interest. Great movie. Entertained the entire time. One of my favorite movies of the last year.
Old 07-02-18, 11:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I don’t know what I saw, but I really thought this was nothing more than a lifetime movie. Great actors, but the way they told it seemed so hokey and low brow. I’ll give it another chance but I dunno...
Old 08-19-22, 07:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, Tonya. The movie any good?

Just wondering if the movie I, Tonya is any good? Found it for DVD at the Dollar Tree store a couple of days ago
Old 08-19-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: I, Tonya. The movie any good?

It’s a good movie. I’m not sure how rewatchable it is though.
Old 08-20-22, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: I, Tonya. The movie any good?

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It’s a good movie. I’m not sure how rewatchable it is though.
Saw it on release so it's probably due for a rewatch soon. I see it's on Hulu.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.