Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-15-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I don't know I actually think that the anthology films have potential to be as interesting or more so in some cases than the main saga films. I like that there's potential to get other stories but I think for the moment we'll be getting films based more on known events/characters like this is. The Han Solo movie is in the works obviously and we'll probably get one based on Boba Fett and possibly Obi-Wan. I suppose it does make some sense to start with those and then veer off a bit more (kinda like Marvel). I wouldn't mind if some other less explored aspects of the universe were explored like the Knights of the Old Republic era and whatnot though.
Old 12-15-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm catching it tomorrow morning for a work event
Old 12-15-16, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know I actually think that the anthology films have potential to be as interesting or more so in some cases than the main saga films. I like that there's potential to get other stories but I think for the moment we'll be getting films based more on known events/characters like this is. The Han Solo movie is in the works obviously and we'll probably get one based on Boba Fett and possibly Obi-Wan. I suppose it does make some sense to start with those and then veer off a bit more (kinda like Marvel). I wouldn't mind if some other less explored aspects of the universe were explored like the Knights of the Old Republic era and whatnot though.
I'd like to see more McGregor as Obi but... doesn't SW kind of state that once he went into hiding... that was it?

I don't see how you could add more history in that period w/ him that doesn't get the attention of the Empire. Cuz all that matters based on how close his association w/ all that is. Would seem like a bit bit of retrofitting the canon of the films that they're taking serious note for. And if you make a bit small than that... than... what's the payoff? We already get his finality in the OT.
Old 12-15-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I am picturing some epic Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan vs full on Darth Vader battles in the eventual Obi-Wan standalone prequel.
It's pretty clear in ANH that Vader hadn't seen Obi-Wan since his fall and/or the Jedi purge and believed him to be dead.

Of course continuity isn't necessarily something that prevents Hollywood from doing something if it really wants to.
Old 12-15-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

"I sense something...a presence I haven't felt since..."
Old 12-15-16, 02:05 PM
Banned

Soooo. Uhm. it's fucking awesome Vader action. Like... holy shit.

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50...72584704_n.mp4

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-15-16 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Hell Yes! Can't wait! (Tonight at 8:30pm!)
Old 12-15-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Dood....

Just from that one clip alone.....HOLY SHIT!

I'm throwing my money at the screen....Take it! Take it all!
Old 12-15-16, 02:35 PM
Banned

Fucking hell. I was just a sliver worried how they were going to present him in his physical actions. But that seems right in line w/ how he is in the OT. Just... never seen him do that shit. Fuck. That shit is is scary and methodical in action.
Old 12-15-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I'd like to see more McGregor as Obi but... doesn't SW kind of state that once he went into hiding... that was it?

I don't see how you could add more history in that period w/ him that doesn't get the attention of the Empire. Cuz all that matters based on how close his association w/ all that is. Would seem like a bit bit of retrofitting the canon of the films that they're taking serious note for. And if you make a bit small than that... than... what's the payoff? We already get his finality in the OT.
Yeah I don't know how they'd do it exactly but it would be cool to see a McGregor Obi-Wan film if it could be done in a way that wouldn't seem just shoehorned to fit. By far he was the best part of the Prequel Trilogy and I'd like to see him again. I feel like it'd have to be a one off thing though if he gets a solo film. More than that I think would really be pushing it but maybe show some of his time on Tatooine between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Maybe a small group is sent by the Empire in search of him or something.
Old 12-15-16, 02:43 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kenobi_%28novel%29
Old 12-15-16, 02:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fucking hell. I was just a sliver worried how they were going to present him in his physical actions. But that seems right in line w/ how he is in the OT. Just... never seen him do that shit. Fuck. That shit is is scary and methodical in action.
Play Battlefront. You can play Vader and take out guys just like that all you want.
Old 12-15-16, 02:50 PM
Banned

So.... it's a rush to NOT have his whereabouts forwarded to the Empire?

Ehhhhhhhhh. As fan fiction as that stuff always, Old Ben in SW really seemed like he just planted his ass on Tatooine and accepted his fate for the greater good.
Old 12-15-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And that link is already dead.
Old 12-15-16, 02:59 PM
Banned

So.... it's a rush to NOT have his whereabouts forwarded to the Empire?

Ehhhhhhhhh. As fan fiction as that stuff always is, Old Ben in SW really seemed like he just planted his ass on Tatooine and accepted his fate for the greater good.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Play Battlefront. You can play Vader and take out guys just like that all you want.
Oh, I know. But that's just different. He's still faster than he ever was in the films. Appropriately, that's something you'd need for him to be a viable player in the pacing of that game. That clip there he's power walking through that and just mowing them down very VERY VERY economically.
Old 12-15-16, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
And that link is already dead.
Holy shit. Disney is on it hardcore right now. Here's clip w/ no audio...

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedVioletAoudad

Another OT baddie, spoilered cuz of size...

Spoiler:
Old 12-15-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy shit. Disney is on it hardcore right now. Here's clip w/ no audio...

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedVioletAoudad

Spoiler:
And that is gone too. I tried pulling the clip from my Cache, but wasn't successful...
Old 12-15-16, 03:09 PM
Banned

if you paid attention to it you KNOW EXACTLY when it takes place in the film.

Here it is again w/ some blacked out images but the audio goes still. And holy fuck. Just based off of this... they did justice to this undetailed tale that we knew that happened in some form.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/*****************V2yP

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-15-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-15-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

About 3 hours til it starts showing here, and it's up to 85% on rt w/ a 7.5/10.0 avg. Not too shabby.
Old 12-15-16, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

I did read somewhere that Vader goes nuts in the movie... I can't wait for 7:30pm TONIGHT!
Old 12-15-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Spoiler:
I'm surprised to read that character is given a decent amount of dialogue. Apparently it doesn't come across very convincing.

Spoiler:
I hear the voice actor imitating Cushing isn't a great match either.

I just stumbled upon the leaked picture of Leia from the last scene... she also has that creepy uncanny valley look to her. At least she only speaks a single word (edited using Fisher's voice from the hologram speech).
Old 12-15-16, 03:41 PM
Banned

Here you go. i made this by just recording the video we originally had here and just recorded w/ my phone and uploaded to YT.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fY-_MkWHK58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-15-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if you paid attention to it you KNOW EXACTLY when it takes place in the film.

Here it is again w/ some blacked out images but the audio goes still. And holy fuck. Just based off of this... they did justice to this undetailed tale that we knew that happened in some form.

*****************V2yP
Grabbed that. Thanks!
Old 12-15-16, 03:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Leaving this thread till tomorrow night...
Old 12-15-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it. Holy shit. This is how you do a prequel. Everything lined up perfectly that needed to. Several call backs to the OT, for the fans.

Vader going ape shit on the rebels. I need an entire movie of that.

Donnie Yen and K2 steal the show. They have some great lines. Jyn was a good protagonist, and the film just throws you right into the story.

No crawl, no Star Wars logo, no fanfare music. Just a "Long time ago..."

My only nitpick is the CG used for Tarkin. Like Bridges in Tron, human CG faces just aren't quite there yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.