Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

My eyes must have been really bad because when I saw this in theater and saw Tarkin, I thought - wow, they found someone who looks like Tarkin and did a good makeup job
Old 11-14-20, 05:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

cgi Tarkan was phenomenal. cgi Leia was, uh, rough. But her cameo was worth the slight disbelief.
Old 11-14-20, 09:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

i equate Chirrut's scene to this in A New Hope. just pure blind luck...

Old 11-14-20, 11:03 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i equate Chirrut's scene to this in A New Hope. just pure blind luck...
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
IBJoel (11-16-20), Obi-Wanma (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 955 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I like that!

And then you get to the sequel trilogy where kids are literally using the Force to sweep the front stoop...

yup....
Old 11-15-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But one thing that I was really impressed with Tarkin was how much screen time he received. They didn't always have him in the shadows. In fact I like the way they kind of teased his reveal by keeping him in the shadows at first and making those in the know think they would do that the whole movie until blam, he walks right into the light and it's not uncanny at all.

Does anyone know if they ever worked out all the legality in bringing someone back from the dead? Did they contact Peter Cushing's estate and ask permission? Do they need to? Going forward will that now be part of an actor's contract? It's pretty fascinating from a legal POV as well.
Old 11-15-20, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Cushing's estate gave them permission.
Old 11-15-20, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

Does anyone know if they ever worked out all the legality in bringing someone back from the dead? Did they contact Peter Cushing's estate and ask permission? Do they need to? Going forward will that now be part of an actor's contract? It's pretty fascinating from a legal POV as well.
Was there ever any real question about if the Cushing estate was involved in this? That they were not consulted/compensated?
Old 11-15-20, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by story
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
yes, way to repeat your exact post. it has nothing to do with you, this is a movie.
Old 11-15-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

yes, way to repeat your exact post. it has nothing to do with you, this is a movie.
He's quoting Obi-Wan in Star Wars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (11-16-20), milo bloom (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 11:30 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 11-15-20, 12:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 11-15-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Even if he’s not repeating himself, Oldboy why are you so hung up on this Chirrut wasn’t Force sensitive thing? We only know how the Jedi wield it, but I think it can be different things to different people.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-15-20 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-15-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
We only know how the Jedi wield it, but I think it can be different things to different people.
Oldboy's response:

But seriously, back in the original trilogy, Luke is shown able to use the Force with only a modicum of training, first with the Death Star trench run, then able to force pull his lightsaber in ESB without Obi-Wan training him on that, and before training with Yoda. Leia is shown as Force sensitive in both ESB ("hearing" Luke and able to locate him), and in TORJ ("knowing" Luke is her brother, sensing he got off the Death Star in time). The prequels have young Anakin almost subconsiously using the Force in his pod racing, long before Qui-Gon shows up. Maz is shown to be possibly force sensitive in TFA. There's room for the Force to affect and be used by more than just Jedi.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Even if he’s not repeating himself, Oldboy why are you so hung up on this Chirrut wasn’t Force sensitive thing? We only know how the Jedi wield it, but I think it can be different things to different people.
bc it's just not logical and he simply wasn't. he died on the same route he took getting back after the panel. what happened there? he lost it all of a sudden? if he was, then R2 and C-3PO were as well.
Old 11-15-20, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Oldboy's response:

But seriously, back in the original trilogy, Luke is shown able to use the Force with only a modicum of training, first with the Death Star trench run, then able to force pull his lightsaber in ESB without Obi-Wan training him on that, and before training with Yoda. Leia is shown as Force sensitive in both ESB ("hearing" Luke and able to locate him), and in TORJ ("knowing" Luke is her brother, sensing he got off the Death Star in time). The prequels have young Anakin almost subconsiously using the Force in his pod racing, long before Qui-Gon shows up. Maz is shown to be possibly force sensitive in TFA. There's room for the Force to affect and be used by more than just Jedi.
all of your examples, with the exception of Maz had those stupid mido-chlorians in their veins and that explains them using without a modicum of training.
Old 11-15-20, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

all of your examples, with the exception of Maz had those stupid mido-chlorians in their veins and that explains them using without a modicum of training.
As much as I hate mido-chlorians, the prequels make clear that there's stupid mido-chlorians in everyone's veins.

From The Phantom Menace:
Qui-Gon Jinn: Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force.
Anakin Skywalker: They live inside of me?
Qui-Gon Jinn: In your cells, yes. We are symbionts with them-
Anakin Skywalker: Symbionts?
Qui-Gon Jinn: Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force. When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you.
Anakin is stated as being special because he has an unusually high count. But he had to be tested for that. Maz and Chirrut could mave more midi-chlorians than normal, but they've never been tested. As the prequels point out, the Jedi historically didn't have kids, so just sought out throughout the galaxy those who were more force sensitive and/or with an above-average midi-chlorian count to take on as Padewans to train to become Jedi. So force sensitivity via midi-clorian count seems to be, outside of heredity, a random genetic lottery, or at least random from the viewpoint of the Jedi, else they've be better able to locate potential candidates.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-16-20)
Old 11-15-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Unpopular opinion I know, but this is my least favorite of the new films... just zero interest in ever watching it again. I have hope for the upcoming mini-series, in hindsight the spin-off films would've benefited from just being in that format to begin with.
Old 11-15-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

bc it's just not logical and he simply wasn't.
There is nothing "logical" and very little consistency in the explanations of the Force or the power it conveys in the Star Wars universe. In many ways, it's the ultimate Plot Voucher for those who are portrayed as possibly being "force sensitive."
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
IBJoel (11-16-20), Jay G. (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
There is nothing "logical" and very little consistency in the explanations of the Force or the power it conveys in the Star Wars universe. In many ways, it's the ultimate Plot Voucher for those who are portrayed as possibly being "force sensitive."
ok. i'm spent.
Old 11-15-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bc it's just not logical and he simply wasn't. he died on the same route he took getting back after the panel. what happened there? he lost it all of a sudden? if he was, then R2 and C-3PO were as well.
The Qui-Gon quote I provided states that the Force has a "will," so maybe it was the will of the Force to have the Rogue One mission be ultimately successful in stopping a machine that could destroy a planet full of life in an instant, but the Force wasn't going to will Chirrut to survive the trip back when, ultimately, they were all going to die anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (11-16-20), Obi-Wanma (11-15-20), OldBoy (11-15-20)
Old 11-15-20, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lopper
Was there ever any real question about if the Cushing estate was involved in this? That they were not consulted/compensated?
That's just my ignorance/forgetfullness. If they contacted his estate then I guess there's still no legal precedence? I don't know if it was the same back then or not but now part of the deal is you sign away your rights to the character you're playing. So studios basically own your likeness as that character. Of course legality and good taste are separate things but I'm just curious if a studio really wanted to "bring someone back from the dead" without their estate's permission could they?
Old 11-15-20, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's just my ignorance/forgetfullness. If they contacted his estate then I guess there's still no legal precedence? I don't know if it was the same back then or not but now part of the deal is you sign away your rights to the character you're playing.
Maybe for merchandise, but not for sequels. Crispin Glover actually set that precedent over BTTF 2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...#United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_t...Crispin_Glover
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...a-legal-833705

I'm pretty sure every dead actor that has appeared in a later film and/or commercial has had their likeness licensed from their estate. Hell, Lucasfilm had to get permission from Carrie Fisher's estate to use footage of her in Rise of Skywalker:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ars-episode-ix
Todd Fisher said that he and the late actor’s daughter, Billie Lourd, have given Disney and Lucasfilm permission to use recent footage of Fisher in the film.
Old 11-15-20, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's fascinating. I didn't know that about Crispin Glover and BTTF.

Now it's really making me wonder about the COD games. I've seen recent commercials that shows Ronald Regan being depicted in the games. I'm pretty sure they didn't ask his estate's permission. Or are historical figures exempt from personality rights?
Old 11-16-20, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

That's fascinating. I didn't know that about Crispin Glover and BTTF.

Now it's really making me wonder about the COD games. I've seen recent commercials that shows Ronald Regan being depicted in the games. I'm pretty sure they didn't ask his estate's permission. Or are historical figures exempt from personality rights?
I think Presidents are more of a public figure. Could you imagine a studio having to pay out a likeness license for Abraham Lincoln, who has been portrayed in films of all kinds? It also allows films to use any news footage ie. Forrest Gump.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.