DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/638418-rogue-one-star-wars-story-edwards-2016-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

Mike86 12-15-16 11:07 AM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I don't know I actually think that the anthology films have potential to be as interesting or more so in some cases than the main saga films. I like that there's potential to get other stories but I think for the moment we'll be getting films based more on known events/characters like this is. The Han Solo movie is in the works obviously and we'll probably get one based on Boba Fett and possibly Obi-Wan. I suppose it does make some sense to start with those and then veer off a bit more (kinda like Marvel). I wouldn't mind if some other less explored aspects of the universe were explored like the Knights of the Old Republic era and whatnot though.

fumanstan 12-15-16 11:23 AM

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm catching it tomorrow morning for a work event :D

Solid Snake 12-15-16 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12969186)
I don't know I actually think that the anthology films have potential to be as interesting or more so in some cases than the main saga films. I like that there's potential to get other stories but I think for the moment we'll be getting films based more on known events/characters like this is. The Han Solo movie is in the works obviously and we'll probably get one based on Boba Fett and possibly Obi-Wan. I suppose it does make some sense to start with those and then veer off a bit more (kinda like Marvel). I wouldn't mind if some other less explored aspects of the universe were explored like the Knights of the Old Republic era and whatnot though.

I'd like to see more McGregor as Obi but... doesn't SW kind of state that once he went into hiding... that was it?

I don't see how you could add more history in that period w/ him that doesn't get the attention of the Empire. Cuz all that matters based on how close his association w/ all that is. Would seem like a bit bit of retrofitting the canon of the films that they're taking serious note for. And if you make a bit small than that... than... what's the payoff? We already get his finality in the OT.

Josh-da-man 12-15-16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12968836)
I am picturing some epic Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan vs full on Darth Vader battles in the eventual Obi-Wan standalone prequel.

It's pretty clear in ANH that Vader hadn't seen Obi-Wan since his fall and/or the Jedi purge and believed him to be dead.

Of course continuity isn't necessarily something that prevents Hollywood from doing something if it really wants to.

Timber 12-15-16 01:43 PM

"I sense something...a presence I haven't felt since..."

Solid Snake 12-15-16 02:05 PM

Soooo. Uhm. it's fucking awesome Vader action. Like... holy shit.

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50...72584704_n.mp4

Chrisedge 12-15-16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969390)

Hell Yes! Can't wait! (Tonight at 8:30pm!)

jeffkjoe 12-15-16 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969390)

Dood....

Just from that one clip alone.....HOLY SHIT!

I'm throwing my money at the screen....Take it! Take it all!

Solid Snake 12-15-16 02:35 PM

Fucking hell. I was just a sliver worried how they were going to present him in his physical actions. But that seems right in line w/ how he is in the OT. Just... never seen him do that shit. Fuck. That shit is is scary and methodical in action.

Mike86 12-15-16 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969286)
I'd like to see more McGregor as Obi but... doesn't SW kind of state that once he went into hiding... that was it?

I don't see how you could add more history in that period w/ him that doesn't get the attention of the Empire. Cuz all that matters based on how close his association w/ all that is. Would seem like a bit bit of retrofitting the canon of the films that they're taking serious note for. And if you make a bit small than that... than... what's the payoff? We already get his finality in the OT.

Yeah I don't know how they'd do it exactly but it would be cool to see a McGregor Obi-Wan film if it could be done in a way that wouldn't seem just shoehorned to fit. By far he was the best part of the Prequel Trilogy and I'd like to see him again. I feel like it'd have to be a one off thing though if he gets a solo film. More than that I think would really be pushing it but maybe show some of his time on Tatooine between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Maybe a small group is sent by the Empire in search of him or something.

dex14 12-15-16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969286)

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130720183933

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kenobi_%28novel%29

E Unit 12-15-16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969409)
Fucking hell. I was just a sliver worried how they were going to present him in his physical actions. But that seems right in line w/ how he is in the OT. Just... never seen him do that shit. Fuck. That shit is is scary and methodical in action.

Play Battlefront. You can play Vader and take out guys just like that all you want.

Solid Snake 12-15-16 02:50 PM

So.... it's a rush to NOT have his whereabouts forwarded to the Empire?

Ehhhhhhhhh. As fan fiction as that stuff always, Old Ben in SW really seemed like he just planted his ass on Tatooine and accepted his fate for the greater good.

Chrisedge 12-15-16 02:53 PM

And that link is already dead. :(

Solid Snake 12-15-16 02:59 PM

So.... it's a rush to NOT have his whereabouts forwarded to the Empire?

Ehhhhhhhhh. As fan fiction as that stuff always is, Old Ben in SW really seemed like he just planted his ass on Tatooine and accepted his fate for the greater good.

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12969421)
Play Battlefront. You can play Vader and take out guys just like that all you want.

Oh, I know. But that's just different. He's still faster than he ever was in the films. Appropriately, that's something you'd need for him to be a viable player in the pacing of that game. That clip there he's power walking through that and just mowing them down very VERY VERY economically.

Solid Snake 12-15-16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 12969432)
And that link is already dead. :(

Holy shit. Disney is on it hardcore right now. Here's clip w/ no audio... :(

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedVioletAoudad

Another OT baddie, spoilered cuz of size...

Chrisedge 12-15-16 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969445)
Holy shit. Disney is on it hardcore right now. Here's clip w/ no audio... :(

https://gfycat.com/CoordinatedVioletAoudad

And that is gone too. I tried pulling the clip from my Cache, but wasn't successful...

Solid Snake 12-15-16 03:09 PM

if you paid attention to it you KNOW EXACTLY when it takes place in the film.

Here it is again w/ some blacked out images but the audio goes still. And holy fuck. Just based off of this... they did justice to this undetailed tale that we knew that happened in some form.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/*****************V2yP

RichC2 12-15-16 03:24 PM

About 3 hours til it starts showing here, and it's up to 85% on rt w/ a 7.5/10.0 avg. Not too shabby.

csant 12-15-16 03:28 PM

I did read somewhere that Vader goes nuts in the movie... I can't wait for 7:30pm TONIGHT!

joe_b 12-15-16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969445)

I'm surprised to read that character is given a decent amount of dialogue. Apparently it doesn't come across very convincing.

Spoiler:
I hear the voice actor imitating Cushing isn't a great match either.

I just stumbled upon the leaked picture of Leia from the last scene... she also has that creepy uncanny valley look to her. At least she only speaks a single word (edited using Fisher's voice from the hologram speech).

Solid Snake 12-15-16 03:41 PM

Here you go. i made this by just recording the video we originally had here and just recorded w/ my phone and uploaded to YT.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fY-_MkWHK58" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chrisedge 12-15-16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12969451)
if you paid attention to it you KNOW EXACTLY when it takes place in the film.

Here it is again w/ some blacked out images but the audio goes still. And holy fuck. Just based off of this... they did justice to this undetailed tale that we knew that happened in some form.

*****************V2yP

Grabbed that. Thanks!

OldBoy 12-15-16 03:55 PM

Leaving this thread till tomorrow night...

stingermck 12-15-16 09:25 PM

Just saw it. Holy shit. This is how you do a prequel. Everything lined up perfectly that needed to. Several call backs to the OT, for the fans.

Vader going ape shit on the rebels. I need an entire movie of that.

Donnie Yen and K2 steal the show. They have some great lines. Jyn was a good protagonist, and the film just throws you right into the story.

No crawl, no Star Wars logo, no fanfare music. Just a "Long time ago..."

My only nitpick is the CG used for Tarkin. Like Bridges in Tron, human CG faces just aren't quite there yet.