Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC considering charging more for blockbuster movie tickets

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 10:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Ticket prices for high-profile Hollywood movies may soon rise, as AMC Entertainment explores the possibility of variable ticking pricing.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, AMC CFO Craig Ramsey said the company is considering a more flexible price structure after its recent acquisition of Odeon & UCI Cinemas, during a session at the MKM Partners Entertainment, Leisure and Consumer Technology Conference.

Ramsey noted that Odeon & UCI Cinemas "are further advanced in variable pricing, where tentpole movies are priced up on release," which is something AMC has discussed and considered implementing in the United States.

"We expect to learn a lot with what they've done. We think it will position us to start having those conversations about pricing opportunities in the U.S.," he added.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11/...-movie-tickets
Old 11-18-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: AMC considering charging more for blockbuster movie tickets

With everything else being equal, I'll go where the price is less.
Old 11-18-16, 10:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Suit #1: People aren't coming to our shitty theatres. What should we do?

Suit #2: Raise prices for the movies people are going to see!

Suit #1: Brilliant! Bonuses all around, fellas!

I have three theatres within a 10 minute drive (Cinemark, AMC, Alamo). A 4th theatre (Santikos) is about 20 minutes away. By a wide margin, the AMC is the worst one of the bunch. Fuck AMC theatres.
Old 11-18-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

AMCs are pretty good out here. We have a dine-in AMC and one of the firsts Dolby Cinema theaters. Of course helps that they're headquartered here.
Old 11-18-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

At the same time, how about lowering the prices on non-blockbuster films?
Old 11-18-16, 11:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

With tech...doesn't it feel like theaters are a dying industry. 3D died, wasn't that the final straw? Why release winter soldier for five a five person family vs. $10.99 a family. I love my tv, I know you do to! Why wait when we can force the industry to give the product to us now in every way that we might want it. I'd Rather watch rogue 1 in my house than To pay 50$ for popcorn and a soda. Just saying.

Money talks, give me product...no blocks.

Last edited by david12; 11-18-16 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 11-19-16, 03:05 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I have no idea if it's accurate, but my recollection is the theater at Mall of America wanted to raise the ticket prices for The Phantom Menace back in 1999 but it was illegal to charge more for one movie or some movies but not others. If that's true for then, has something changed that would let AMC do this now?

BTW, the MOA theater came up with another solution: raise all ticket prices by a buck across the board. That'll show 'em!
Old 11-19-16, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

This was common during the 1960s but everything was single screen so one theater with an exclusive would charge premium prices.
Films like Lawrence of Arabia, My Fair Lady, 2001, etc. Later the films would move to other theaters and drive-ins at "popular prices"
Go back and look at movie page of newspapers and you'll see ads with "Now at Popular Prices!"
Old 11-19-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I have no idea if it's accurate, but my recollection is the theater at Mall of America wanted to raise the ticket prices for The Phantom Menace back in 1999 but it was illegal to charge more for one movie or some movies but not others. If that's true for then, has something changed that would let AMC do this now?
I assume they'd need consent. All of that stuff is under contracts with distributors.

My local AMC (and where I worked as a teen) is the best. The theater got a little old and undesirable for 5-10 years. And then they recently remodeled it, added luxury seating, a bar, etc. I was a little shocked when I went there and saw Suicide Squad (hadn't been there in probably 5+ years).

If they're going to increase the price, I wouldn't care. I buy a movie ticket the way I pump gas - I just walk in and buy it. Probably my very favorite places to visit.

If they do toy with the pricing, they'll need to be ready for complaints. It'll probably turn away a lot of people. Probably 5% of all customers would have something to complain about with the pricing. Whether it's the ticket price or food price. So much butthurt.
Old 11-19-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Yep, not a new concept. Common practice up through the 1960s. Ended in the 1970s when the "blockbuster" was born.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...ce-of-a-ticket

AMC sucks ass around here. We have three theaters in Springfield, all AMC. It is rare for me to go to a movie here. Rather than give them my money, I will drive 30 minutes to an independent, 60 minutes to an IMAX, or just wait till I am out of town.

I would really love to open a boutique theater here.
Old 11-19-16, 11:27 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The article seems to indicate this is already happening in other countries. Is that true? Where?
Old 11-19-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

won't people just but tickets to the cheaper movie and then walk into the more expensive one? If they have to pay people to guard the door to the more expensive films it would defeat the purpose. Also don't most studios take like 90% of the ticket price the first few weeks of a movie release?

Increasing the ticket price of a blockbuster by $2 would only result in an extra 20 cents per patron. So if you even had 200 people seeing a blockbuster per showing, you would only net $40 per screening. Subtract the amount you would need to pay an employee to guard that theater room at minimum wage of around $7.50 for 2.5 hours and you lose $18.75 and it brings your net down to $21.25. Not really worth it considering all the negative impressions you would create from patrons.
Old 11-19-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
won't people just but tickets to the cheaper movie and then walk into the more expensive one? If they have to pay people to guard the door to the more expensive films it would defeat the purpose. Also don't most studios take like 90% of the ticket price the first few weeks of a movie release?

Increasing the ticket price of a blockbuster by $2 would only result in an extra 20 cents per patron. So if you even had 200 people seeing a blockbuster per showing, you would only net $40 per screening. Subtract the amount you would need to pay an employee to guard that theater room at minimum wage of around $7.50 for 2.5 hours and you lose $18.75 and it brings your net down to $21.25. Not really worth it considering all the negative impressions you would create from patrons.
More and more theaters by me make you pick your seats when you buy your ticket. I'd imagine that'd make it easier to spot gatecrashers.
Old 11-19-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMC is in the process of buying Carmike, which currently owns most of the theaters near me. If they decide to jack up the price for blockbusters I'll probably go to even fewer movies than I do now. I bought a big Ultra HD TV over the summer and streaming in 4K is looking like an even more appealing option.
Old 11-19-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

There are two different schools of thought here. I imagine AMC is taking the wrong one.

First is raising ticket prices for popular movies to make more money.

The second is more of what the Planet Money show was driving towards ... Lowering ticket price on less popular movies in an effort to encourage attendance. Similar to matinees and second run theaters, but right off the bat based on expectations.