Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wedding Crashers 2 - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-18-16, 11:53 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Nothing concrete yet...

When Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson reunited on the campus of Google for the 2013 comedy The Internship, most of us figured that's the closest we'd get to Wedding Crashers 2 (especially since that comedy didn't light the world on fire, seemingly extinguishing any hope of rekindling the Wedding Crashers fun). Lo and behold, though, original Wedding Crashers co-star Isla Fisher just appeared on the Today show to plug Nocturnal Animals, and she let it slip that a sequel is coming together. Sort of. When asked about Wedding Crashers 2, Isla Fisher exclaimed:

I bumped into Vince Vaughn at a party and he said apparently we are going to be making a sequel.I'm excited to see what happened to Gloria.

Wedding Crashers 2 is happening! Buy your tickets! Stand in line. Lock it up!

OK, wait. Pump the brakes. When you keep watching the Today show clip, Isla Fisher immediately starts to tap dance, saying she doesn't know about a done deal, and that she "probably shouldn't announce it on morning television," but she ends by confirming there has been "some talk of it, which is fun."

Wedding Crashers came out in 2005, and paired Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as likable jerks who make it a habit to show up, uninvited, to various wedding receptions, where they charm strange family members and try to pick up girls. With no real story to speak of, it coasted on the chemistry between the leads, and allowed for breakout performances by a meaty Bradley Cooper, an unpredictable Christopher Walken, a sexy Isla Fisher and a beautiful Rachel McAdams. Oh, and Will Ferrell demanded some meatloaf.

Wedding Crashers 2 could work, though I'm not sure anyone outside of Vince Vaughn's circle of friends is clamoring for it. Vaughn, himself, has moved on to more dramatic roles, like Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge (in theaters as we speak). And like I mentioned, audiences didn't necessarily flock when Vaughn and Owen Wilson tried to rekindle the comedic magic in The Internship.

So, what do we think happened here? Isla Fisher bumped into Vince Vaughn, who has an idea for Wedding Crashers 2? Or are we farther along on a Wedding Crashers 2 script than any of us realized? Stay tuned for more details from an official source, but Isla Fisher seems convinced. What about you?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LAHzdo_oF8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/158...y-be-happening
Old 11-18-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Wedding Crashers 2 - News, rumors, etc.

Big fan of the original. Wouldn't mind a sequel. Owen Wilson needs to prove he can be funny again anyway. they can't all be Drillbit Taylor you know.
Old 11-18-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

There's always more weddings to crash, I guess.
Old 11-18-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As much as I enjoyed the first Wedding Crashers, I feel that ship has sailed. Something about waiting too long between comedy sequels doesn't feel right (like how Zoolander 2 just bombed). I wasn't too hot on The Internship either.
Old 11-20-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I like the original and thought The Internship was okay for what it was. A sequel could work I suppose but it has been a long time since the original came out and comedies are always difficult to get a good sequel out of. I mean do we really want to see these two at their ages still doing the same thing with no growth? I like better when the characters continue on but don't rehash the original film personally.
Old 11-21-16, 02:45 PM

While Isla Fisher was promoting her turn in the Tom Ford-directed Nocturnal Animals, she let slip in a Today Show interview she heard things were moving toward a sequel to the 2005 hit comedy Wedding Crasher. So what’s really happening? Insiders say there is reason to be hopeful, even though it’s not near a green light because the stars need to sign off creatively and then make deals that will be pricey. I’m told there is a sequel script that has just been turned in by Evan Susser & Van Robichaux to New Line, and the plan is for David Dobkin to return as director, along with the original stars Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Fisher and Rachel McAdams. No word on whether they’ll try to bring back Will Ferrell, Bradley Cooper or Christopher Walken, each of whom had memorable moments. New Line sparked to the writing team Susser & Robichaux after they scripted the upcoming Ice Cube-Charlie Day-starrer Fist Fight, which the studio releases February 17. The writers competed for the open writing assignment, and their pitch for the sequel won them the job. The original grossed $285 million worldwide on a $40 million budget. The scribes are repped by UTA and Fourth Wall Management.
http://deadline.com/2016/11/wedding-...ux-1201858277/
Old 11-22-16, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original is one of my favorite comedies, so I'd be there day 1 for a sequel. I think something along the lines of the sequel being Vaughn/Wilson throwing a wedding for their kids, which gets crashed by some young whippersnapper crashers, and them c@ckblocking/anti-crashing them.
Old 11-22-16, 08:04 AM

This is old... but this is what they would've done a few years ago:

Dobkin said in a post on the Quora web site in 2014 that he had discussed a sequel with Vaughn and Wilson and the trio had come up with a version that would have starred Daniel Craig:

“Wedding Crashers came out at a time when people weren’t doing lots of sequels. We did come up with a great take. Vince, Owen and myself sat around at Owen’s house one day and broke the story. It was really really funny. We wanted Daniel Craig to be the ultimate wedding crasher, with his sexy body and his speedo, and the two guys would be incredibly threatened by him. He was like the next generation terminator of wedding crashing.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/we...ne-1201923921/
Old 11-22-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I expected to hate the first but really enjoyed it and saw it several times so I'd be in for this, if only for curiosity.
Old 11-09-20, 10:14 AM

Director David Dobkin has stated many times that they do not have a script for a sequel at this time but he does have an idea that could bring Vaughn and Wilson back. It's an idea that he has been working on and according to Vince Vaugh, early talks of doing the sequel have begun with Owen Wilson also on board.

Vaughn was doing an interview with "Entertainment Tonight" to promote his upcoming release FREAKY and the actor confirmed that the sequel has moved beyond tossing around ideas and they are in early talks on a concept that they seem pretty happy about:

"Owen [Wilson] and I and the director of Crashers have been talking for the first time seriously [about] a sequel to that movie. So there has been an idea that is pretty good. So we are talking about that in the early stages."

It was only a few weeks ago that Vaughn opened up about an idea for WEDDING CRASHERS 2 that director David Dobkin had shared with him. The idea was good enough that Vaughn spoke a little bit about where a sequel could be headed and he was enthusiastic about the sequel's prospects:

"David Dobkin had a really good idea that's contemporary. I never went and made a sequel to a lot of these films at the time because it felt like we were just chasing a success. But what I like about where Crashers could potentially be at is [that] there's something that is of this moment that feels really good... a lot of these comedies, even something like Wedding Crashers, you're sort of investigating things that I think are real in our lives, but the comedy is an overcommitment to the absurd."

David Dobkin has said previously that a sequel could explore "what it'd be like for guys in their late 40s who end up being single again and have to go back out in the world. What a weird, difficult, challenging story that is. And as long as there's a real story in the middle of it, to me, it can be a movie." These comments were made back in June. Vaughn's current comments are the first that have included Owen Wilson which adds more validity to the notion that a sequel will likely happen if all three think the new story idea is worth exploring.
Old 06-04-21, 08:55 AM

Looks like it will start shooting in Puerto Rico in August. To be released on HBO Max.

The following users liked this post:
Deftones (06-04-21)
Old 06-04-21, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The original holds up extremely well for what it is. Hopefully they do a decent job on this and it isn't another Coming 2 America, not a clue where they'd go with it though.
Old 06-04-21, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

One of them is getting married and their wedding is crashed by a couple of newcomers. Wedding Crashers 2: A New Generation.
Old 06-04-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I bet it's going to be something like that, but they've been dating for 15 years now before they got married?

In any case, for free I will watch it.
Do we think we get a Bradley Cooper cameo? Given his close relationship with Warner, I bet he does.
Old 06-05-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I am down for this and yeah surprisingly the first one really does hold up still.

Old 06-05-21, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Curious where they will go with this one. Interestingly enough, when I was a kid my parents were real life party crashers (not wedding ones) . They would leave me with my grandparents on about the second weekend of December, the weekend most companies and such would have their holiday parties , and stay at a hotel that hosted a lot of them. They would go out to eat, then return to the hotel at about the time people had had enough to drink they weren't very aware of who or what was there. So...maybe that could be the idea?

One time my grandparents weren't available and they took me along for a day at big city malls (always magical around Christmas) and then left me in the room with soda, pizza, and freedom to watch whatever I wanted on Spectravision in the room (yes, I'm that old) while they did their thing. Wanting to be cool 9 year old me decided to rent Aliens. They returned to find a kid peaking out from under the bedsheets at what would eventually become one of his favorite movies, but not that night.
Old 06-05-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Lots of swinger parties happen at hotels... just sayin
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-06-21)
Old 06-07-21, 06:26 PM

Wedding Crashers was a massive hit when it was released in 2005, yet the film starring Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn never received a sequel. But last week, there were new rumors that the sequel could be filming this August, even though New Line has yet to greenlight a sequel. Now, Wilson has spoken to Collider about the possibility of Wedding Crashers 2 for the first time since last week’s rumor.

In an interview with Steve Weintraub, Wilson said this about the script for Wedding Crashers 2:

“Yeah, there is a script and David Dobkin - who directed the first one - has been working on it, and we’ve been talking about it. It’s been nice talking to Vince, and it’s one of those movies that really seemed to connect with people. If we can come up with something we think could be great, then I’m sure we’ll do it.”

When asked if filming could start soon, Wilson also said: “Someone said August, and I don’t see that happening. I think before anything, it’s making sure that everybody felt we had a great story.”

Previously, Dobkin had spoken to Collider about the possibility of making Wedding Crashers 2 when he said, "Well I’d be curious what it’d be like for guys in their late 40s who end up being single again and have to go back out in the world. What a weird, difficult, challenging story that is." Dobson also said that there were many offers to make a Wedding Crashers sequel over the years, but stated:

"And none of us wanted to do a retread of the same movie again. Anything within those first years that we talked about was the same movie, and we were like 'Why? Financially I probably shouldn't have done that, but I did (laughs). And Vince and Owen didn't want to do it either."

As we reported a few days ago, Vaughn and Wilson are in discussions to reprise their roles as Jeremy Grey and John Beckwith, respectively. Wedding Crashers was one of the biggest films for both actors, and it certainly seems like both actors are involved with trying to make the script something worth returning for. In recent years, Vaughn has been breaking out from comedies and doing more serious work like True Detective's third season, Dragged Across Concrete, and last year's Freaky, which allowed Vaughn to do both horror and comedy. Meanwhile, before this year, Wilson hadn't appeared in a movie since 2017's Father Figures, but the actor is coming back with a vengeance in 2021 with Bliss, reuniting with Wes Anderson for The French Dispatch, and co-starring in Marvel's latest Disney+ series, Loki. While it's unclear if Rachel McAdams, Isla Fisher, or others would be returning for the sequel, it seems like the sequel would want to nail down the main leads to the film before moving forward into those discussions.

While Wedding Crashers 2 still isn’t officially happening yet, it’s absolutely a smart move for Dobkin, Wilson, and Vaughn to make sure they have a great story before they get to work on this highly-anticipated and heavily-rumored sequel.
https://collider.com/wedding-crasher...son-interview/
Old 06-07-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

That's a LOT more tentative than the Tweet above was.