Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Old 03-05-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i will say that i am perplexed by Ali's win considering his screen time. i really expected him to be in the film much more and from what i heard i was pulling for him to win, which he did, but i thought it was for much more than this. only minor gripe, but way to go Jenkins and crew.
You were pulling for him to win without having seen the movie at the time? You'd fit right in with some of the Academy voters.
Old 03-05-17, 08:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
You were pulling for him to win without having seen the movie at the time? You'd fit right in with some of the Academy voters.
Only bc I really like him from House of Cards and Kicks. I didn't care too much about the other nominees. Heard he was great, liked him before, and wanted him to win. Is there something wrong with that?
Old 03-05-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
He's in it for about 20 minutes. Anthony Hopkins is in Silence of the Lambs for about 15 minutes (and he won Best Actor!) and Judi Dench is in Shakespeare in Love for a whopping 8 minutes, and she won too.
Here is the entirety of Beatrice Straight's Best Supporting Actress Oscar-winning performance in Network, all five minutes of it. That was, BTW, the very last time a single movie won three acting Oscars.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rhgsfn7CtDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speaking of Ali, we watched the movie last night. My daughter thought they mentioned in the scene with Janelle Monae in Act 2 that
Spoiler:
his character had been killed,
but if she did, I must have missed it. Did they say that?

Last edited by dex14; 03-05-17 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spoiler tags
Old 03-05-17, 09:41 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Yes,
Spoiler:
his character is dead by Act 2.
Old 03-05-17, 09:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Here is the entirety of Beatrice Straight's Best Supporting Actress Oscar-winning performance in Network, all five minutes of it. That was, BTW, the very last time a single movie won three acting Oscars.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rhgsfn7CtDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Speaking of Ali, we watched the movie last night. My daughter thought they mentioned in the scene with Janelle Monae in Act 2 that his character had been killed, but if she did, I must have missed it. Did they say that?
Yeah, I think it was right before the fade to black and the second act began.
Old 03-09-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I've seen this a couple of times. I think it's really good...But I don't think it's that good, if you know what I mean. And there's at least a handful of better films from 2016 that didn't get nominated, like Paterson or The Lobster.
I agree with this.

4/5
Old 03-09-17, 04:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I disagree... only because I don't think The Lobster was better than, well, most of the movies I saw last year.
Old 03-19-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guess I'm going to a naysayer. I watched this last night. Granted my expectations for a movie that won Best Picture was above average, I just was bored silly and had a hard time trying to keep up with and understand the dialogue, even with subtitles on. The movie was painfully slow and disjointed. I realize that it was taking this kid's life and slicing it up into 3 segments, each several years apart. However, it was a disappointing having the Juan character just disappear from the movie with only one aside from the mother explaining what might have happened to him. Granted he was a self-admitted drug dealer, so fill in the blanks I suppose. I thought the casting of the grown up Chiron was off as he was way more buff than the two previous actors who'd played him. Small gripe I suppose. All the suppressed homosexual tension pretty much throughout the movie was a bit too much to sit through for my taste.

I just didn't think this movie was all that, and frankly felt bad for the other movies that lost out. That being said, it didn't suck I suppose.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-19-17 at 02:20 PM.