DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Filmmakers who cast their untalented spouses and family in their films. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/638108-filmmakers-who-cast-their-untalented-spouses-family-their-films.html)

Hazel Motes 11-15-16 01:19 PM

Filmmakers who cast their untalented spouses and family in their films.

Watched Clerks 2 recently, and Kevin Smith's wife CAN...NOT...ACT.

Who else?

godzilla rules 11-15-16 01:23 PM

Re: Filmmakers who cast their untalented spouses and family in their films.

The Winner (or loser) for this entire thread is Rob Zombie. His wife, Sherri Moon Zombie, is in everything that he has done for the last twenty years. She is in all of his movies and she is terrible. I know that he wants everyone to know how hot she is (she's ok), but come on Zombie. If he is going to put her into his movies at least make her a mute. Although, while watching 31, I was thinking that she would have been a better Harley Quinn than Margot Robbie. Sherri at least has the crazy act down.

dex14 11-15-16 01:32 PM

Godfather 3 - Sofia Coppola (talented director, can't act)

Ash Ketchum 11-15-16 01:45 PM

Joel McCrea had his son, Jody McCrea, appear in some of his westerns--to no avail. Jody only became famous when he played Deadhead in the Beach Party movies, the only part he ever succeeded in. And that was WITHOUT his father's help.

John Wayne cast his son Patrick in a number of his westerns, e.g. THE SEARCHERS. Patrick was only a so-so actor, but he wasn't allowed to do any real damage.

Alan Ladd put his daughter in some of his films, giving her significant supporting roles in GUNS OF THE TIMBERLAND and the Italian-produced DUEL OF CHAMPIONS. She plays Frankie Avalon's girlfriend in TIMBERLAND and was neither cute nor much of an actress.

Republic Pictures head Herbert J. Yates cast his Czech ice-skating wife, Vera Hruba Ralston, as the female lead in tons of westerns in the 1940s and '50s, even forcing her on John Wayne in a couple of films before Wayne put his foot down and refused to act with her.

Mondo Kane 11-15-16 01:46 PM

Having just watched it last night, Nancy Ferrara in Abel Ferrara's Dangerous Game.

inri222 11-15-16 01:58 PM

Lorelei Linklater in Boyhood

PhantomStranger 11-15-16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules (Post 12948087)
The Winner (or loser) for this entire thread is Rob Zombie. His wife, Sherri Moon Zombie, is in everything that he has done for the last twenty years. She is in all of his movies and she is terrible. I know that he wants everyone to know how hot she is (she's ok), but come on Zombie. If he is going to put her into his movies at least make her a mute. Although, while watching 31, I was thinking that she would have been a better Harley Quinn than Margot Robbie. Sherri at least has the crazy act down.

She isn't that bad, especially considering Zombie mostly directs horror. It's not like he's making masterpiece theater.

DVD Josh 11-15-16 02:19 PM

Two words - Leslie Mann.

I think it was the promise that Judd had to make in order to get her to marry him. She's not better than a 6 but for Judd, who is a 2, it's a massive step up.

Preterite 11-15-16 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12948154)
She isn't that bad

Counterpoint: Yes, she is.

Crocker Jarmen 11-15-16 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what makes Sherri Moon a "bad" actress. I've seen her in four Zombie movies (House of 1000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, Halloween, Lords of Salem) and each time she was totally convincing as the character. I don't remember her lines coming out sounding stilted (like Coppola in Godfather III. I wasn't taken out of the movie by her performance. She has also demonstrated range, those three characters I've seen her play are completely different.

majorjoe23 11-15-16 02:43 PM

I was going to say Kate Capshaw, but she wasn't married to Spielberg during Temple of Doom.

bunkaroo 11-15-16 03:22 PM

Rebecca Pidgeon - I don't like her in any of the Mamet stuff she's done.

Solid Snake 11-15-16 03:24 PM

Jill Ireland aka Charles Bronson's wife for some time. Bitch couldn't act for shit. Bored the fuck out of me in his flicks.

Ash Ketchum 11-15-16 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12948198)
Jill Ireland aka Charles Bronson's wife for some time. Bitch couldn't act for shit. Bored the fuck out of me in his flicks.

She's good in Sergio Sollima's CITTA VIOLENTA (aka THE FAMILY, 1970) as the femme fatale who's the center of a love triangle with mob boss Telly Savalas and hitman Bronson.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/4/3815/1...e82249ef10.jpg

Count Dooku 11-15-16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 12948084)

Who else?

She is also horribly miscast in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

DthRdrX 11-15-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12948099)
Godfather 3 - Sofia Coppola (talented director, can't act)

Yes. The scope of that screw up was something.

As for Rob Zombie, that doesn't bother me at all because his films are for the most part pretty low budget affairs. Lots of horror movies are filled with background characters that got the job because they were related to someone.

Hell, the Paul Anderson/Milla Jovovich relationship took an entire franchise with it.

Solid Snake 11-15-16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12948229)
She's good in Sergio Sollima's CITTA VIOLENTA (aka THE FAMILY, 1970) as the femme fatale who's the center of a love triangle with mob boss Telly Savalas and hitman Bronson.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/4/3815/1...e82249ef10.jpg

I may be wrong, if that's the case. She was boring as shit in Hard Times. Her insertion into that movie was a horrible choice. Ugh. Just takes me out of the film cuz she's boring as shit.

Mr. Salty 11-15-16 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 12948084)

Who else?

To be fair, Kevin Smith CAN...NOT...DIRECT.

To answer your question, though, I have to go with Sofia Coppola.

And somehow we need to blame Will Smith for getting jobs for Jaden Smith.

rw2516 11-15-16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12948198)

She also appeared in several Man From U.N.C.L.E. episodes while married to David McCullum(sp?)

Mabuse 11-15-16 04:57 PM

Hitchcock put his daughter in two films. She was pretty good in one of them.

John Borman puts his son in a lot of movies, but he's actually a fine actor.

Ash Ketchum 11-15-16 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12948255)
I may be wrong, if that's the case. She was boring as shit in Hard Times. Her insertion into that movie was a horrible choice. Ugh. Just takes me out of the film cuz she's boring as shit.

I know what you mean about HARD TIMES and the later Bronson movies she was in. Like that one, ASSASSINATION, where she plays the president's wife and Bronson plays the secret service guy protecting her. I'm sorry, but that's not the Bronson we know and love. I tried watching FROM NOON TILL THREE recently and I had to bail after 30 minutes of it. It's a western and he plays a bank robber hiding out in her house and basically holding her hostage and she's a widow who slowly succumbs to his "charms" or something. It was one of those "You know you really want it" deals. And it was just painful. Yet it got good reviews when it came out--but not from Bronson fans.

Norm de Plume 11-15-16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12948115)
John Wayne cast his son Patrick in a number of his westerns, e.g. THE SEARCHERS. Patrick was only a so-so actor, but he wasn't allowed to do any real damage.

I can't recall having seen any of his films, but he was a decent game show host.

One of the most wooden performances I have even seen was by Christa Lang in Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street. She was married to the film's director, Sam Fuller, at the time.

Nick Danger 11-15-16 05:45 PM

Sudden Impact (and others): Clint Eastwood feat. Sondra Locke.

inri222 11-15-16 06:29 PM

Are we talking about actors or filmmakers?

Defiant1 11-15-16 06:48 PM

Ron Howard and Clint Howard.