DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Google Showtimes replacement? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/637974-google-showtimes-replacement.html)

TheBang 11-04-16 06:46 PM

Google Showtimes replacement?

So, without any fanfare or pre-announcement, Google has killed Google Showtimes (google.com/movies).

That was my go-to site for movie listings, because it was fast/lightweight, easy to type in the URL, and I could see all the showtimes for all the screens for at least my top 2 theaters on a single page, which would allow me to quickly find the most convenient showing.

Does anyone know of any replacement out there that's similar? So far, I've just been relying on Fandango for listings, but it's a bloated slow mess, and it takes something like 5 pages just to show all the listings for a single theater.

Solid Snake 11-04-16 09:57 PM

Re: Google Showtimes replacement?

I just put the name of the movie in chrome and google brings up the theater listings and all that bs.

TomOpus 11-05-16 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 1293895)
easy to type in the URL

There's something even easier. It's this nifty thing called "favorites" :)

Troy Stiffler 11-05-16 07:13 AM

I like the Fandango app. You can also buy tickets ahead of time and skip the line.

bluetoast 11-05-16 07:53 AM

I use the Fandango app. Not to buy tickets, just to see listings.

Dan 11-05-16 07:59 AM

I don't like how Fandango works, but there's not much else in terms of options. You could bookmark each theatre brand's website, I guess (Alamo, Cinemark, AMC, etc.)

Trevor 11-05-16 08:05 AM

I think I've always used IMDb. It's right there at the top of the page, I'm always logged in, so it pops right to my local theaters.

Why So Blu? 11-05-16 08:20 AM

I just go directly to the theater's website. Don't need all that other bullshit.

Trevor 11-05-16 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12939181)
I just go directly to the theater's website. Don't need all that other bullshit.

That works if you know what theater you're going to, but I imagine most people have multiple options. Even if I'm pretty sure where I'm going, it's still nice to see one page with all my options in case a different theater has better times.

RichC2 11-05-16 08:59 AM

I just say "movie listings" or "movies near (location)" in Google Now.

http://i.imgur.com/Xq34mwI.png

Solid Snake 11-05-16 10:31 AM

Yeah, the OP needs to not be so lazy about it. They're overthinking this shit.

Deadman31 11-05-16 07:08 PM

Why don't you just tell me the name of the movie you want to see?

TomOpus 11-05-16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Deadman31 (Post 12939481)
Why don't you just tell me the name of the movie you want to see?

Love that episode :lol:

AaronHernandez 11-06-16 04:04 AM

I just call Michael Richards house and he usually tell me the theater and the time so long as it's not a Madea movie.

kd5 11-06-16 06:22 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/showtimes

Just click the little blue whatchamacallit beside Showtimes/location and it gives you a dropdown to detect location or you can type in a zip code.

dex14 11-06-16 07:54 AM

I can't believe this isn't an Oldboy thread.

TomOpus 11-06-16 09:31 AM

I guess the OP abandoned his own thread.

TheBang 11-07-16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12939071)
I just put the name of the movie in chrome and google brings up the theater listings and all that bs.

The thing is, I usually don't know what movie I'm going to go see. What happens is we might have a free time period for going to see a movie. OK, is there anything playing that we want to see? OK, and which theaters have showings that best fit into the timeslot we have available? That's why I'm really looking for something quick and dirty that allows me to succinctly see all the showtimes for all the movies at 2 or 3 theaters all at once.

But, if I put the theater name in Google Search, I can get a facsimile of Google Showtimes by clicking "More Showtimes". I just can't compare theaters at the same time.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12939175)
I use the Fandango app. Not to buy tickets, just to see listings.

Unfortunately, it's not any better than the website. Too verbose, and no way to compare entire theater listings.

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12939176)
I don't like how Fandango works, but there's not much else in terms of options. You could bookmark each theatre brand's website, I guess (Alamo, Cinemark, AMC, etc.)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12939181)

Again, I'm looking to compare across different theaters. Additionally, for the two major chains here, one simply links to Fandango for its listings, and the other one, the interface basically mimics Fandango.

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12939180)
I think I've always used IMDb. It's right there at the top of the page, I'm always logged in, so it pops right to my local theaters.

Eh, that one's not too bad. Possible candidate for replacement.

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 12939676)
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/showtimes

Just click the little blue whatchamacallit beside Showtimes/location and it gives you a dropdown to detect location or you can type in a zip code.

Information density is a little too low on that one. Plus all the content bloat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12939727)
I guess the OP abandoned his own thread.

I don't read the forums on the weekend. :shrug:

Edit: I'm getting the feeling some people don't even know what Google Showtimes was. Here's a picture of what it looked like. I valued it for its lightweight, fast loading, clean, and uncluttered layout, and for the information density that it presented at a glance.

https://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordp...ng?w=680&h=313

E Unit 11-07-16 05:08 PM

I had no idea Google even has its own showtimes. I prefer Fandango or the theaters site.

TomOpus 11-07-16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12940751)
I don't read the forums on the weekend. :shrug:

You were reading and posting yesterday :shrug:

TheBang 11-07-16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12940770)
You were reading and posting yesterday :shrug:

Special exception, because of the Disney news. Stop stalking me, stalker! :chainsaw:

Hazel Motes 11-07-16 09:49 PM

Seemingly in the same week that Apple killed www.apple.com/trailers.

Abob Teff 11-07-16 09:53 PM

First, buy a newspaper.

Second, no I don't know what Google Showtimes was. I thought the thread title meant Google was going to take over Showtime originals such as Penny Dreadful and Ray Donovan.

TomOpus 11-07-16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 12940797)
Special exception, because of the Disney news. Stop stalking me, stalker! :chainsaw:

We're worried you're taking this serious loss of Google Showtimes pretty hard. :shrug:

Why So Blu? 11-07-16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12939182)
That works if you know what theater you're going to, but I imagine most people have multiple options. Even if I'm pretty sure where I'm going, it's still nice to see one page with all my options in case a different theater has better times.

I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere or don't have an internet connection - I can almost see this as a viable option. Nah, not really.