Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Hints that it's in the past...

Says it's in the future...
Old 02-06-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I took it as a prequel, because of that wacky scientist that said something about how that machine could rip open dimensions in all space AND time (implying that the past could get fucked up).
Yeah, I don't get how this could be anything but a prequel - albeit poorly handled (technology being a key give-away)... that said, there didn't seem to be a global energy crisis in Cloverfield.
Old 02-06-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

First half was great - second half was beyond boring. Looks like we'll never get a proper sequel/prequel/whatever for the fun first flick.
Old 02-06-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yeah, I don't get how this could be anything but a prequel - albeit poorly handled (technology being a key give-away)... that said, there didn't seem to be a global energy crisis in Cloverfield.
There is no mention of an energy crisis in the first film, the monster is smaller in the first film, if a world has monsters bigger than the clouds, you think NYC residents would know about it.

The ONLY way it works as a prequel is if its in some alt-time universe or something.

It completely works as a sequel in most ways.

Or JJ is screwing with us, as usual, (ala LOST) to get everyone to talk about Cloverfield.
Old 02-06-18, 10:40 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
There is no mention of an energy crisis in the first film, the monster is smaller in the first film, if a world has monsters bigger than the clouds, you think NYC residents would know about it.

The ONLY way it works as a prequel is if its in some alt-time universe or something.

Or JJ is screwing with us, as usual, (ala LOST) to get everyone to talk about Cloverfield.
For like the 100th time... JJ had nothing to do with Lost after the pilot.
Old 02-06-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

And Donal Logue's character in Paradox is related to John Goodman's character from Clovefield Lane. Also, the lady that's interviewing Logue in Paradox is the same lady that was in CLoverfield Lane outside of the bunk that gets into it with Winstead.
Old 02-06-18, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
For like the 100th time... JJ had nothing to do with Lost after the pilot.
That can't be at all possible, since he actually co-wrote a season 3 episode. But I agree, he probably didn't have much influence on the show after the pilot.
Old 02-06-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And Donal Logue's character in Paradox is related to John Goodman's character from Clovefield Lane...
I mentioned the surname above, but we don't know if they are actually related.
Old 02-06-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mentioned the surname above, but we don't know if they are actually related.

Too big a coincidence for them to have the same last name and not be related. They're related.
Old 02-06-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

And Donal Logue's character in Paradox is related to John Goodman's character from Clovefield Lane. Also, the lady that's interviewing Logue in Paradox is the same lady that was in CLoverfield Lane outside of the bunk that gets into it with Winstead.
Good catch(es)
Old 02-06-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too big a coincidence for them to have the same last name and not be related. They're related.
I agree, but like a lot of JJ's stuff, it just may be to screw with us. Look at the Netflix ads. Slusho, Kelvin, etc...are all in C3.
Old 02-06-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Well I think it's a prequel in that it explains what caused the first movie to happen. The only weird thing is that it was something in the future that did it.

Maybe the paradox is that the experiment in the future fucked up the past, so now that past (cloverfield 1) has monsters. But those monsters didn't exist yet in the Cloverfield Paradox (future), which implies that the experiment split the universe into 2 additional dimensions. One where the aliens show up in cloverfield 1, and one where the aliens don't show up until the experiment.

The movie already shows that there are other, alternate dimensions. Did those always exist? Or did they all suddenly come into being when the experiment went wrong?
Old 02-06-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't watched this yet, but I just wanted to say that I think it's fucking stupid to release this but not have Cloverfield on Netflix right now.
Old 02-06-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read some more and looks like the grand theory of it all is that each of the films exist in their own reality/timeframes. They are not linear prequel/sequel, etc. The first film was in 2008, the second was in 2016, and Paradox was in the near-future after 2018. Three films fucked up by the particle generator that have screwed over past, present, and future timelines.
Old 02-06-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I think it's a prequel in that it explains what caused the first movie to happen...
Overlord takes place in 1944 and will show the origin most likely...

Also the pod crashing into the sea, at end of 2008 Cloverfield was "something" arriving on earth.
Old 02-06-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also the pod crashing into the sea, at end of 2008 Cloverfield was "something" arriving on earth.
They said it was part of a Chinese satellite.
Old 02-06-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

So I was super stoned when I watched this, and I think my takeaway was that the 2 dimensions collided and things got displaced between them, but did they ever explain things like:

1) that guys arm
2) why the ship tried to drown that lady
3) why that guy got sucked into the wall and turned into circuits (or eaten by circuits)?
Old 02-06-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

So I was super stoned when I watched this, and I think my takeaway was that the 2 dimensions collided and things got displaced between them, but did they ever explain things like:

1) that guys arm
2) why the ship tried to drown that lady
3) why that guy got sucked into the wall and turned into circuits (or eaten by circuits)?
1. No
2. No
3. No

God this movie was so fuckin dumb.
Old 02-06-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I can see how Cloverfield and Cloverfield Paradox can be tied to each other, but not sure how 10 Cloverfield Lane
Spoiler:
could be with the introduction of the alien ships at the end.

And the whole arm, worms, gyroscope thing, magnetic influence made no sense.
Old 02-06-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cloververse...mments_please/

Explained by Reddit’s CamCam3947:

18:20 in Paradox is when they run the Shepard and it causes the incident transporting them through dimensions
18:20 in Cloverfield is when the first noises are heard and the lights go out at Rob’s party.

Yes, if you sync up Cloverfield and The Cloverfield Paradox, the movies interact with one another, highlighting that one film’s events directly cause the other’s!

Mind you, this *could* all be unintentional, but it’s a crazy little treat regardless…
Old 02-06-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Sources: Netflix Paid Paramount More Than $50 Million for 'Cloverfield Paradox'

The deal, broached over the holidays and finalized in January, is worth north of $50 million, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, with Paramount retaining rights for China and home entertainment.

It makes the movie instantly profitable for the studio, which avoids a (likely) misfire and costly marketing campaign. And Netflix got what it was looking for, regardless of withering reviews (18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes at press time): buzz.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...aradox-1082305
Old 02-06-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the film cost 40 million and had 1 promotional spot.
Old 02-06-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Good. If I had used my MoviePass to see this in the theater I would have been trying to find a way to sue to get the time I spent watching it back. Cloverfield Lane was good in that it pretty much tried to remain its own thing and just did a Twilight Zone type connection to the original. This one's connection may as well
Spoiler:
have had the monster pop out of the clouds and say "that's all folks!" in a Porky Pig voice.
Lame....
Old 02-06-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Some are too generous to Stuckmann.
I can no longer say I have never seen a Stuckman review —I watched this one. I was going to ask if he intentionally acts dumb so that he has things to say, or if he really just didn’t get this movie ...

I took it as a prequel, because of that wacky scientist that said something about how that machine could rip open dimensions in all space AND time (implying that the past could get fucked up).
I thought this was fairly obvious, but after reading the thread I guess it wasn’t. People are still trying to think the films as directly related. The only direct link is that Cloverfield Paradox ripped open the time-space continuum and created a multiverse. That tear in the fabric of reality has fucked everything up in dimensions everywhere everywhen.

Originally Posted by bralph
I haven't watched this yet, but I just wanted to say that I think it's fucking stupid to release this but not have Cloverfield on Netflix right now.
Agreed, but Is 10 Cloverfield Lane still on there? I haven’t looked yet.

I read some more and looks like the grand theory of it all is that each of the films exist in their own reality/timeframes. They are not linear prequel/sequel, etc. The first film was in 2008, the second was in 2016, and Paradox was in the near-future after 2018. Three films fucked up by the particle generator that have screwed over past, present, and future timelines.
This. IMO, this is reinforced by the past/future ads on Netflix and:

Overlord takes place in 1944 and will show the origin most likely...
Not an origin. Think that way and you will be disappointed. That’s the problem — the marketing and expectations are causing people to assume direct relations.

OK, now that would blow my mind ... I may have to try it. Pop Cloverfield in the BR player and put Paradox on my iPad.

I enjoyed this and I think some of the nitpicks and criticisms are rather ridiculous. OMG, the monster was taller than the clouds! (You do realize clouds are not only at one static height up in the sky, right?)

It wasn’t an A-list blockbuster, but it had a great cast, excellent production values, and a passable script. It could have benefitted from another pass on the script and possibly another 30 minutes to better build suspense and the “horror” elements.

Stop trying to think of this as a series and consider it an anthology. It works much better that way.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-06-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Good. If I had used my MoviePass to see this in the theater I would have been trying to find a way to sue to get the time I spent watching it back. Cloverfield Lane was good in that it pretty much tried to remain its own thing and just did a Twilight Zone type connection to the original. This one's connection may as well
Spoiler:
have had the monster pop out of the clouds and say "that's all folks!" in a Porky Pig voice.
Lame....

Why are you willing to accept 10CL as its own thing, but not this one? The connection you name is the same as the connection of 10CL (which I don’t agree with in either case, but I’m going with it for your statement). There isn’t “a”connection (a monster, a person, etc.), this movie is the connection in that the events in it fractured every reality. It caused the other movies, but none of them are in sequence.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.